3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Prince of Fatness

Just read CNN.  I need one right NOW.

Yeah I saw ... part of the reason.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I really can't fathom that type of evil.

At least if I think that's what your referencing. 

Yes. Disapprove

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Sure.  

But, you will probably need to take over the BBQ afterwards as I will be passed out somewhere.  Ask C-R how the evening of the first Spaniel Farms Beer Mile ended....I belive Belgians were at fault that night as well.

I'm really interested how this turns out for you.  If you are successful, that just may be the kick I need to start brewing.

I've had some success with other Belgian styles- Saison, and Dubbel (although I still have some tweaks I need to get the Dubbel better).  I'm most worried about making sure I have high enough yeast counts to ferment all that sugar in this one.  It will definitely be a few months before it is ready.

Just read CNN.  I need one right NOW.

+1.  Words can't really describe the tragedy.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I have no words.  I just don't get it.   

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Good news CR, very happy for you and Mrs. CR.

As for the Westy 12...very jealous as that stuff sold out in no time here in Chicago. 

St. Bernadus 12 is good stuff but I was hoping to get my hands on the other as well.

Spaniel, did you try the St. Benardus 12 from that gift set yet?

Somehow I thought I had down that I drank the St. B 12, but lo and behold it was eyeing my coyly from the fridge door tonight.  I couldn't resist.

Not sure yet if I will give it a 4 or a 5.  Probably a 4-high.  Just a touch too much sweetness in the aftertaste for a 5.  But, it is one fine beer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Kalsarikännit

I am at my father's in Northern Georgia. He has horses and chickens, plus just adopted two llamas. We just picked up some mash from the local brewery to use as a supplemental food source (one of the llamas is old and has lost most if his teeth. He needs soft foods). Have any of the brewers that engage in country livin' given this a try?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What local brewery? Did you get beer too?

Feeling the growl again

He needs soft foods). Have any of the brewers that engage in country livin' given this a try?

I have seen animals fed everything from cheese curds and whey to Lucky Charms, but never leftover mash.  There is no reason not to, there will be food value left in it.

Perhaps some alcohol.  I wonder if that would be like the loser I knew who gave a horse a fifth of Jack.  Apparently it takes a lot to get a horse drunk but a fifth was plenty.  (I don't condone this of course).

Prince of Fatness

What local brewery? Did you get beer too?

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Have any of the brewers that engage in country livin' given this a try?

Lots of things to do with the spent grains.  I remember when I toured Dogfish Head they said that they give them to a local farm and end up buying back the beef to serve at their brew pub.  There's even recipes online to make dog treats out of them.  You can spread them on your flower beds or on your lawn (spread them out good, they can get stinky if left in a pile).  I go the easy route and toss them into my compost bin.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have heard of leftover mash going to pig slop. And cow feed. It is a good fattener.

Lots of things to do with the spent grains.  I remember when I toured Dogfish Head they said that they give them to a local farm and end up buying back the beef to serve at their brew pub.  

I was at a local brewery tour as well and they said something similar.  If I recall it was not their entire diet, but maybe 1/3 or less for cattle.  Something to do with all the left over proteins in the mash.  Nothing close to the level of Dogfish Head in terms of production.

And for Trent - it is Tight Head brewery, Mundelein, IL.  As far as I know they are not bottling or even doing cans yet but have draft at 80+ local pubs.  They will fill growlers though or maybe just pickup a keg.

Kalsarikännit

We grabbed a ton from Blue Ridge Brewery in Blue Ridge, GA (there is also a Blue Ridge Brewing Company in Greenville SC). They have a great brewpub, but it is mainly guest beers and a brew or two of their own on tap. There are tons if goofy beer/liquor laws in this county. My father spends a little of his extra time and money there, and in conversing with the owner, decided that this may help with the extra food that the older llama could use. There is no alcohol in it, but we were warned that keeping it open and around may cause natural airborne yeasts to cause some fermentation. All the extra ideas from Spud are appreciated! We have a ton of spent grains and the family has a garden and composts. Now I just have to get my dad to move on from brewing from kits, so we can produce our useful by-products.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

Blue Ridge Brewery in Blue Ridge, GA

I will be down near Augusta next month visiting my mom.  Alas, that's a little far from where I will be.

Not at it at all.