3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Prince of Fatness

I see you found Blithering Idiot after all.  Man those sure are good picks, can't wait!

Had to go to the store for the Blithering Idiot.  Also the World Wide Stout.  The others I had in my stash.  The World Wide Stout was put on hiatus but luckily I found a place that had some.  Might go back and get a bottle or two for myself.

The Scratch beer from Troegs is an Octoberfest style lager.

The X-Ray from Weyerbacher is the latest in the Brewer's Select series .... Robust Porter.

The one on the left for Whodat is a DFH Immort Ale.  Spaniel should know, since I left one with him over the summer.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

I wonder what beer 666 will be...Hopdevil?

You just skip it like they do with Floor 13 in high rise buildings.

No wonder you people can't lose weight.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Just got back from Ireland last week and i agree that the Guinness seems much creamier there.  Perhaps a better gas combination or pouring technique....not sure if many places use nitrogen here in the states for their guinness.

If you get a chance, go to The PorterHouse Brew Pub...some tasty beers there.  The Guinness Store House tour was also pretty cool.

Thanks for the tips; on your suggestion I am at Porterhouse now for dinner. I had a sampler on their Plain Stout, XXXX Stout, and Red with my irish stew. Now I am capping it off with a Straffe Hendrik Tripel Belgian. I considered the 14 percent Austrian beer on the menu just because; but I am a cheap Asian date having come straight from a hard workout and not much eating...damn weight loss thread...so staring down the barrel of a 14 hour work day I thought better of it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

The Deuce is good.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, I also just had a good deuce.

So here's a random question for which I'm probably not going to provide enough info for anyone to answer, but what the hell. I'll throw it out anyway. Local store just expanded selection of extra good beers. Side by side by side on the shelf sat 3 bottles of Chimay. I seem to recall you guys talking about Chimay in very positive terms before. All were ales. One had a red label, one blue, and one yellow/gold. All were the same price. I don't remember the specific names of each. Reading the labels provided no clue as to which one to try first. And yeah, I know, the obvious answer is "buy all three", but it wasn't an option right then.

So which one should I try first? In general I'm an IPA guy. My current favorite beer is DFH 60 minute. I keep waiting for something to come along and dethrone it, but it hasn't happened yet.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

So here's a random question for which I'm probably not going to provide enough info for anyone to answer, but what the hell. I'll throw it out anyway. Local store just expanded selection of extra good beers. Side by side by side on the shelf sat 3 bottles of Chimay. I seem to recall you guys talking about Chimay in very positive terms before. All were ales. One had a red label, one blue, and one yellow/gold. All were the same price. I don't remember the specific names of each. Reading the labels provided no clue as to which one to try first. And yeah, I know, the obvious answer is "buy all three", but it wasn't an option right then.

So which one should I try first? In general I'm an IPA guy. My current favorite beer is DFH 60 minute. I keep waiting for something to come along and dethrone it, but it hasn't happened yet.

The Belgians, especially the Trappist ales like Chimay, have a unique flavor profile. So don't expect anything like an IPA. Personally I have liked just about anything of this type. Thre three you mention have different ABV and do taste different. I think I prefer red, I thinkC-R prefers blue. The flavor is more aggressive going red blue white. If you like IPAs the white is most hopped but I do not personally recall the flavor.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Depends what flavor you are looking for.  In my opinion the triple (yellow) is mildest in flavor.  I would go with the blue- but it is pretty pricey.  OTOH, it is hard to find american brewers who do the strong Belgian ales.  Personally if they have Trappistes Rochefort 8 or 12, I would go with that over the Chimay.  Can't really compare to an IPA.  IPAs are generally in your face and can be kind of one note (not always though).  Most Belgian ales are the exact opposite, smooth, subtle, but complex.

Cool, I'll try the red first. It's kind of funny, I actually feel a certain weird responsibility here. The store in question is not in a nice neighborhood, and does not in any way cater to a craft beer crowd. It's called, if you can believe this, "Cigarette City". I'm sure that, after smokes and lottery tickets, their #1 seller is whatever 40 oz. or 30 rack is cheapest on any given day. They started carrying one or two "good" beers a while back, and I bought them. Then there were a few more, and I tried those, too. I just can't imagine the clientele I see when I go in there is buying these beers. $13 for a 4 pack of Burton Baton vs. $13 for a bazillion Coors Lights. Seems unlikely. But, maybe it's all in my head. After all I can't be the only one buying the good beer, but still. By deciding to assume that responsibility and not take that chance, I get lots of really good beer.

It's a small sacrifice, but I make it willingly, for the good of mankind.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Prince of Fatness

All are good so really you cannot go wrong whichever one you pick.  I would buy one of each over time if you cannot swing it now. 

With Belgians the yeast plays a large role in the flavor, so if you are an IPA guy don't expect anything like that.  But still, with any of those you will not be disappointed.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

C-R

All are good so really you cannot go wrong whichever one you pick.  I would buy one of each over time if you cannot swing it now. 

With Belgians the yeast plays a large role in the flavor, so if you are an IPA guy don't expect anything like that.  But still, with any of those you will not be disappointed.

This.

Why choose. Drink 'em all and enjoy the difference.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Whatever. I'm drinking at three Floyd's right now. Second time here in the week.
                          C-R

Whatever. I'm drinking at three Floyd's right now. Second time here in the week.

It's not often I hope that someone get s skunky beer, but............

Sincerely,

I can't seem to get to the brewery guy

Prince of Fatness

See anything there worth throwing in a box?

Oh, and then there is this .... click.

Not at it at all.