3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Racing Flats (Read 1105 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm thinking about buying some racing flats. I realize that I probably don't really need racing flats, but I like trying new shoes so I'll probably buy a pair anyway. I've narrowed it down to three and was wondering if any of you have tried these or had an opinion on them.

Mizuno Wave Universe 4

I have a couple of different Mizuno shoes and like them all. I wore a pair of Ronin 3 in my most recent 5K. Endless.com has them on sale and I have a 20% off coupon. If I go with these should I get orange or red?

Saucony Grid Type A4 or A5

I have a pair of Kinvara 2 that, although I liked them, I probably won't buy again. The toe box doesn't fit me quite right and tends to beat up my second small toe. If the Type A has a similar fit I probably wouldn't like it. Endless.com has the A4 on sale also.

Adidas Adizero Hagio

I've never worn an Adidas shoe, but plenty of fast folks seem to. 

I don't seem to have any problem with a low heel-toe drop. I've worn the Kinvara 2 in a half marathon with no problem. I also seem to be ok with less cushioning. I have a pair of Nike Free 3.0 V2 that I've worn on runs up to 8 miles. Any flats I get would mainly be used for 5K and maybe 10K races.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Good question.  I can't really help since my only recent flat purchase (Brooks T4 last year) ended up in disaster.  So I'm still racing primarily in Adidas Cubatos purchased in 2004-2005.

In other words, I will be following this thread with interest.

After my Cubatos were discontinued (damn you Adidas!!) I did try a pair of the Adizeros that replaced them.  They are "ok", I do a lot of workouts in them now, but the cushioning is much harder than the Cubatos were for a similarly-weighted shoe.  I could not bring myself to do a marathon in them.

What I really need to find is a good light flat that still feels soft enough to tolerate for a full marathon.  I think I have 4 marathons on my newest Cubatos; I think they are about done for that distance.  I would consider a tad heavier flat than I have worn in the past as long as I got a tad softer shoe to spare the legs over the distance.

Shopping for flats is frustrating as nobody stocks them in stores to try on anymore.

MTA:  After looking at the shoes you listed, I feel I need to try the Universe on general principle.  Looks like a great shoe for up to the HM.  And here is an interesting perspective on flats the fast guys wear:

http://running.competitor.com/2012/01/photos/fast-flats-what-the-trials-qualifiers-will-be-wearing-on-their-feet_45222

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slo

What I really need to find is a good light flat that still feels soft enough to tolerate for a full marathon.  I think I have 4 marathons on my newest Cubatos; I think they are about done for that distance.  I would consider a tad heavier flat than I have worn in the past as long as I got a tad softer shoe to spare the legs over the distance.

I do my marathons in the Asic's Speedstars but I did pick up a pair of Brooks Racers (ST5)'s. I'm currently running my shorter races in them but see no reason why they wouldn't fit the bill for a marathon.

C-R

Good question ra. Most of you might know I run everything in lights or flats but that's because I am strange and no I am no barefooter. That being said I love my A3s and Asics Hyperspeed. I have some other Saucony flats (can't recall the name but they are fluourescent green) that I've worn twice and can't wait to use next weekend. I don't know about Mizuno much. But for my money asics and Saucony are great for what you might want.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Asics Hyperspeed.

I have these and love them.  Admittedly I have not tried many flats but the Hyperspeeds were the only ones that were wide enough to be comfortable.  I don't have wide feet by any means either.

I've raced up to a half marathon in them with no issues.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

I really like my Ronins.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I really like my Ronins.

I think I should try them just because, in general, every Mizuno I have owned has fit well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I got the Saucony Fastwitch back in 2007 and still run in those.  They have worked well for me covering all distances.  I've been wanting to get a new pair of flats since I have about 3 marathons, 1 half marathon, several shorter races ranging from 5k-10mi, and several workouts.  This thread is timely and it's always interesting to see what people have liked.  Of course, you have to be careful as shoe fit and style is unique to the person.

nevermind I think I'm going to try me some ASICS Piranha's

MTA: Just ordered me a pair and they will arrive Tuesday!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ostrich runner

I think I should try them just because, in general, every Mizuno I have owned has fit well.

They are in that sort of middle ground with Brooks Green Silence - there is enough to them to run longer distances, but if you're looking for a super light track flat, keep looking.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

I got the Saucony Fastwitch back in 2007 and still run in those.  

+1. Everything from 5k to marathon with no problems but I do not like the new version. Doesn't fit me very well but a good shoe.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I have several of the shoes some of you have mentioned for use in a marathon. I'll give you my thoughts on them even though I've never run a marathon, so take it for what it's worth.

Asics Hyperspeed 4: They have a little bit of cushion to them. I could probably wear them for a half, so the rest of you could wear them for a marathon. I've only worn them once. Mainly because I have other shoes that I bought around the same time that I like better.

Mizuno Wave Ronin 3: Quite firm, but not hard. I like the firm ride. They feel fast. I wore them for my recent 5K and would wear them for a 10K. I like these shoes, but would have to try some longer runs to see if I could wear them for a half. If you want some cushion these may not be what you'd want for a marathon. If you like firm these may be the ticket.

Brooks Green Silence: These have some nice cushion, but are not mushy. I wore these for a 7 mile race and they did great. I will probably wear these in half and the rest of you could easily wear these in a marathon.

Nike LunaRacer+: These have even more cushion that the Green Silence. They run narrow and I had to go up a half size. I hate the upper on these. It's kind of plasticy and when it bends it makes a hard edge. They tend to rub my big toe behind my nail. I've never gotten a blister from them, but it does irritate the skin. I don't like them enough to wear in a race, but if they work for you they could certainly be used for a marathon.

Spaniel, you're welcome to try on any of my shoes if you like. I'm pretty sure there's no stank stuck to any of them yet. Big grin They're all size 10 except for the LunaRacer, which is a 10.5.

Rocken, let us know how you like those Piranha's. I'll definitely have to get some faster shoes now if I'm going to have a chance of catching up. Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I really like my Ronins.

The Ronin 3's or the4's?  I have been looking at these.  But the 3's appear to be wider than the 4's in the running ware house photos.  

I have a wide foot for a woman and it is a pain in the butt to find shoes that fit in width.  Combine that with the fact that I want a lower heel but with some fore foot cushioning it seems impossible.

I have been wearing the Hyperspeed 4's and minimus trail for the past year.  Both are wide enough.  Minimus needs a bit of cusion and the 

Hyperspeed 4's have very soft outer soles that I just wear right through.  The new Hyperspeed 5's look like they have the same soft sole material.  

However the new Piranhas  look like they have a harder material.  

So, like Pam, I was thinking of trying them too.

And has any on tried the Mizuno Musha 4?

I loved the feel of the Saucony Grid type 4's.   But they were too narrow and the next size up was just as narrow but too long.

So, I was wondering if the 5's were any wider.

I am very tired of mailing boxes back and forth to running warehouse.  Finding a shoe just shouldn't be this hard!  

steph  

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The Ronin 3 is slightly wider in the toe box than the Hyperspeed 4. I don't know about the Ronin 4.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

The Ronin 3 is slightly wider in the toe box than the Hyperspeed 4. I don't know about the Ronin 4.

Thanks RA.  Maybe the 4's will work then.  I would hate to get attached to the 3's if they are being discontinued

steph