3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April Race Thread (Read 1077 times)

April 18; Spring Fun Run (2 miles on a track) Goal: < 13:00 never raced this distance, so this should be interesting. 13:00="" never="" raced="" this="" distance,="" so="" this="" should="" be=""></ 13:00 never raced this distance, so this should be interesting.>

I'd log-stalked Candice a few weeks back (around the time of her strong Tom King performance) and was struck by her consistency, but even more at how upbeat a lot of the log entries were.  And ... she's back. Big grin

I was tracking a number of runners yesterday.  Without question -- and even viewed as a 26-mile training run -- Candice slowed less (a) from start to finish, and (b) over the hilly 25k-35k stretch.  Out of all context, the time should be disappointing to someone with her fitness.  In context, though, that's a hell of a steady, smartly-run, totally-unaffected-by-the-heat race.

I'm going to need a big race this weekend to win a beer in this plac

Yea, I was sorta thinking before the race that I could try for 7:10 pace because that might be more manageable with the heat (original goal being 7 minute pace) and I could PR by a few seconds or something. But then I got to the start line. Went to my corral. Realized I was already sweating my ass off, my mouth was already dry...decided 7:15-7:20s. Ran that for a bit. Readjusted to slower than that. Stayed there. Sometimes my pace would drop down to 7:10 or even 7 min but when I noticed I made myself slow down. I was really scared i'd put myself into a bad situation if I let myself run hard. I'm terrible in the heat and i've put myself in the med tent more than once in races that were hot, but not 86f's hot.

I felt comfortable pace wise the entire time. Except I was really, really hot. I never went through any dark patches like I would in a normal race. I was probably over-cautious. I drank about 3x my weight in Gatorade and dumped water over my head every chance I got. It seemed the only way to survive upright, knowing how my body reacts to heat. 

It was just one big stupid long run.

I shoulda bailed on the race before it happened. Too late now.

Back home in 45f Minneapolis!

For example, if one would have bailed this weekend they could run Carmel with us next....forecast right now is in the 40s....

Damn. Undecided

Didn't make the goal... 13:25 was my time. 

Lap 1 - 90 sec (6 min pace)

Lap 2 - 95 sec (6:20 pace)

......and it got worse from there.

6:30 first mile; 9:56 at 1.5, and ended up with 13:25 for 2.

My HR was pretty much redline the whole time though, so at least I wasn't wimping out.  HR avg 175... 172 for first mile, 179 for second mile.  I'm pretty sure my LT has moved up.  So now that I can rev the engine higher, I guess I gotta catch a faster gear.

April 18; Spring Fun Run (2 miles on a track) Goal: <13

So I am not feeling in any sort of racing shape but you have to start somewhere.

April 29

Still Shuffle 5k*

Goal: <16:00

*It's listed as a 5k but when I ran it last year I had it measured as 3 miles.  If it's the same course, I'm sticking with my goal.  If they add on to it to make it a 5k, then I'm going with <16:30.  It will be a miracle if I can gut this out on the poor mileage that I've done the last month and half.

So I am not feeling in any sort of racing shape but you have to start somewhere.

April 29

Still Shuffle 5k*

Goal: <16:00

*It's listed as a 5k but when I ran it last year I had it measured as 3 miles.  If it's the same course, I'm sticking with my goal.  If they add on to it to make it a 5k, then I'm going with <16:30.  It will be a miracle if I can gut this out on the poor mileage that I've done the last month and half.

Nice.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Good luck to those running in Carmel this weekend.  Sounds like you guys will be having a good time.  While your at it, keep testing out the options for July too.

MTA: Don't know if you'll need the luck with the running or the more important events to follow. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive        4/21       SCRA 10k Warrior Run  Ft. Gordon, GA         <50:00   

Nope.  A foggy 50:55.     MTA:  official time : 50:57:8

steph  

C-R

1:38:37 at Carmel HM today. Legs felt great. Several good races there today. Oh and it was 41 degrees at the start. Trent was not here.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

1:38:37 at Carmel HM today. Legs felt great. Several good races there today. Oh and it was 41 degrees at the start. Trent was not here.

Nice run CR. Looks like Spaniel ran a 2:39 and DB a 2:56. Nice running today. The weather was certainly good for it.

Feeling the growl again

2:39:30. Crap of a race. Pretty much done at nine miles, I just can't run in the morning I guess. Didn't do anything wrong, just had no strength. gave up, but then a guy caught up with me and we worked together. Dropped him at 21, then realized I could catch another so I burned the last mile and a half super hard. Have to be happy with this, the wind really sucked, and I ran down every guy I realistically could. I hurt like a mother at the end. I easily could have given up and run high 2:40s.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Considering this wasn't a good day for you, you ran pretty close to your goal.  Way to stay tough and finish strong, especially since you were feeling bad at mile 9. 

And mere mortals like I am kind of laugh when someone considers high 2:40s giving up. LOL!

Congratulations even though it wasn't what you wanted, still a good effort.

2:39:30. Crap of a race. Pretty much done at nine miles, I just can't run in the morning I guess. Didn't do anything wrong, just had no strength. gave up, but then a guy caught up with me and we worked together. Dropped him at 21, then realized I could catch another so I burned the last mile and a half super hard. Have to be happy with this, the wind really sucked, and I ran down every guy I realistically could. I hurt like a mother at the end. I easily could have given up and run high 2:40s.

CliveF -- 4/21 -- Tar Heel Ten-Miler (Durham NC) -- 1:11:00

A very disappointing 1:12:20.  I couldn't have prepared more poorly if you'd paid me to.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Good grief, C-R, right after Boston?  Really impressive.

Nice running spaniel.  We all know what it's like to want to throw it in.  I am sure that is multiplied on the marathon scale.

sub-3 for DB.  He is coming back!

Clive and Tea Olive, don't beat yourselves up, dudes.  You can't hit it every time.  You are both generally doing better and better.

8th Annual MK5K

Denville, N.J.

4/7

18:15

18:53.  Didn't execute.  There is nothing more to it.