3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April Race Thread (Read 1077 times)

Man. Nobody that i've told about the witches really seems to give a shit.

I do.  I just don't want them knowing I laughed at them, with them, or about them or anything.  Maybe they can see me typing right now...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Man. Nobody that i've told about the witches really seems to give a shit.

Now why not circle back around and see what was going on?  For no one giving a shit, it's either one of two things.  1.  It's MN towards the end of winter.  or 2. Everyone's afraid to say something for they'll get cursed if they do.  Ha, that is some wierd shit though.

Why did I not circle back around like I normally would have? Um...

1) It was Friday the 13th

2) I had 4 hours before I had to get on a plane

3) The weather forecast for the marathon was already 88f

Odds were not in my favor. Now i'm freaking out that they can see me typing. Thanks Nads.

40:25

Not the sub 40 I wanted but I did run a 1:44 PR.

Feeling the growl again

40:25

Not the sub 40 I wanted but I did run a 1:44 PR.

A PR is a PR and hopefully makes you feel that the cycle was not wasted on Boston.  Good run!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks! Yea, the shape is good for something Smile  I think my legs are a little sloppy from time off and minimal running this week but I felt alright out there. I freaking hate stupid garmins. I thought I had sub 40 because it was giving me splits for 6:24/avg. Which would have been sub 40. When I got to the end it had measured 6.32mi. I dunno if I sucked at tangents today or what that made it read long.

I'm going back to a timex for races for sure.

By the way, that's exactly what happened to me when I ran 1:30:11. The garmin told me my average pace was 6:49. Okay...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

The only time I've worn a Garmin in a race was an ultra....I doubt those courses are usually certified anyways.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Kalsarikännit

The only time I've worn a Garmin in a race was an ultra

I'm seeing that more often.  Then after six hours I'm seeing people with useless paperweights on their wrists.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

I'm seeing that more often.  Then after six hours I'm seeing people with useless paperweights on their wrists.

Why's that?  My battery goes 13 hours.  If they are not smart enough to start with a full charge....

I'm an ignoramous at ultras.  There are few mile markers so it keeps me from going too fast.  Big grin

Kalsarikännit

I was being sarcastic about the six hours (unless you have it on the sensitive setting), but I have never gotten mine near 13 either.  They usually don't last as long as ultras lasting more than 50k.  Plus they aren't usually very accurate on twisty-turny trails unless you have them on that sensitive setting (DPRT is unusual and a whole different deal).  

All I know is on peaceful trails, in the peaceful woods, I have to listen to people's watches going batshit crazy because it can't find a signal or they are out of their pace or HR range while climbing up a mountain and eventually their body will be found under a pile of leaves.  But, you know, ymmv.

Feeling the growl again

All I know is on peaceful trails, in the peaceful woods, I have to listen to people's watches going batshit crazy because it can't find a signal or they are out of their pace or HR range while climbing up a mountain and eventually their body will be found under a pile of leaves.  But, you know, ymmv.

Yes, that would be annoying, I'd just turn the dang thing off.  I don't use anything fancy shmancy on it either so I don't have to worry about zones and such useless crap.  I don't think I'd bother on a mountain race, pace seems like kinda a useless measurement in that setting, doesn't it?

Kalsarikännit

I don't think I'd bother on a mountain race, pace seems like kinda a useless measurement in that setting, doesn't it?

Yup.  Can you tell what my new crazy racing pet peeve has become?  Big grin  I couldn't get away from someone at a 100k for miles and miles with the thing going off every four steps.  Now I'm hyper-aware of them.  

There was a big thread in the gsp two years ago with way too many people disputing the accuracy of the Shamrock Shuffle 8k because of their garmins.  Sure, Deena is there with a bunch of professional dudes racing in the 23's and major money on the line, plus we are running under a ton of bridges and the field is so crowded that you can't run the tangents, but sure...your garmin is the accurate one here.

That being said, I looooove my garmin.  It is like a running partner who keeps saying, "Slow down, dumbass" for the first half of all my training runs.  My old timex races with me, though.

Congrats to all who survived Boston.  It looked pretty awful.

Candice - nice on coming straight back for a 10k PR though - good on you!

I'm just back from Rotorua Half.  Point to point race.  21.1km of which most (~20km) was straight into a 12mph headwind.  12mph may not sound huge, but 20km of it is freaking hard work.  So 1.34 (disappointing) but 7th lady, 3rd in AG, nice trophy (less disappointing) and a very good and close race with a couple of other ladies (enjoyable - even though I was ultimately beaten by both of them!)

So I am not feeling in any sort of racing shape but you have to start somewhere.

April 29

Still Shuffle 5k*

Goal: <16:00

*It's listed as a 5k but when I ran it last year I had it measured as 3 miles.  If it's the same course, I'm sticking with my goal.  If they add on to it to make it a 5k, then I'm going with <16:30.  It will be a miracle if I can gut this out on the poor mileage that I've done the last month and half.

Yeah, that didn't work.  16:25 2OA/1AG.  It was the same as last year with only a little bit added on at the end, so it was still 3.0.  Went out too fast and died.  I at least know I worked for it as I have that 5k type hurt going on now.  1st was 8 sec ahead of me.  He passed me with about 800 to go and I didn't have it in me to stay with him.  At least I know where I'm at.