3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

I did!  Not that anyone cares, it's just that I'm finished training and now it's that time between the last key workout and the race to try not to do anything stupid.  I felt tired and sluggish before the workout so I was a little worried that I would bomb it, but it went really well.

A 1.5 hour brick, 20.8 mph on the bike and a 7:26 pace run for 4 miles.

How is everyone else's training going?  How 'bout some virtual high fives?

Feeling the growl again

I did a couple bricks....before the few du's and tri's I did in 1999.  They sucked.  So great job with those!

I did my first real workout since Boston...and since February really.  6 mile tempo 5:46 pace.  It's an ok place to start.  I'll do some sort of fartlek/interval thingy tomorrow, I think.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

4.8mi today, Gallowalking.  Longest I've "run" since the Achilles tear in mid-February.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I did a couple bricks....before the few du's and tri's I did in 1999.  They sucked.  So great job with those!

I did my first real workout since Boston...and since February really.  6 mile tempo 5:46 pace.  It's an ok place to start.  I'll do some sort of fartlek/interval thingy tomorrow, I think.

Thanks Spaniel. Wow 5:46 pace for 6....I'd say that's a dang good start! Good job!

4.8mi today, Gallowalking.  Longest I've "run" since the Achilles tear in mid-February.

Good job Clive.  Achilles tear sounds painful. Did you have to have surgery? Is 3 months recovery enough?

Feeling the growl again

Damn.  I should be happy I only had mono.  Way to go man.....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Pretty shity workouts this week for me so far. I had a VO2Max (6x1200m intervals @ 5k to 3k pace) workout on Wednesday. After the first two intervals I got a side stitch that I could not get through so I shortened up the intervals to 800m for the next three and finished with a 400m interval.

I've never really had problems with side stitches before but lately I've been getting them alot. Side stictches and calf tightness seems to be a theme for me this year. Yesterdays Easy run was also shortened because of one.

BTW Spaniel, your Tempo run was faster then my sprinting ability and nice brick Tony, what race is coming up for you?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I look my best blurry!

Tony-What's a brick?  Sorry, but I have no idea.  Virtual HIGH FIVE!!!  

Spaniel-You guys just blow me away.  I'm aiming for more sub 6 tempos in my near future.  

Clive-That sounds pretty darn good so soon after Achilles tear.  Don't know whether I should encourage you or not.  What does your doc say?

I ran 13 miles yesterday, 7 in the am and 6 in the pm.  I woke up feeling great today.  My pace was around 9 min for both runs.  Yesterday wasn't a fast workout but it was an awesome day for me.  Running easy days easy is a big challenge and yesterday I succeeded!  

Brick = bike followed by running.  It's hell on the quads!  Nice job with that Tony.

Wish I could say that I had some good workouts.  I'm just happy to be consistently running.  My legs are having a hell of a time recovering this week.  Quads and calves are still sore so nothing but easy.  Last year I would have "forced" a w/o to stay on track with what's written on paper.  Not this year.  I'll do a hard effort when the body tells me I'm ready.  51 miles in 5 days this week.  Legs should be good for a longer run this weekend.

Clive, after having achilles issues both in 2007 and last year, I feel for you.  Good to see you getting a start back out there.  Achilles are a bitch!

Purdey

Self anointed title

Good work Clive. How was the AT afterwards? I have been killing myself with various physio exercises - and at last feel just about able to run.

High Five, Tony!!

Sorry about the rough patch, Clive. Ach.

Me, well I did 13 miles at goal marathon pace on Sunday. I've been recovering from that all week and am hoping to do a warmup-10k race-cooldown tomorrow.

Why am I saying this in a workout thread? 

I am fixing to replace workouts with much more racing at 5k and 10k.  

I've grown tired with the inner "uhhh?" I feel when someone says "at 10k effort" or "at 5k effort." I want my body to learn what that means. Plus, I think racing much more will be fun! I want to race all kinds of distances and terrains. 

One idea I've had is to keep racing these distances as I build up my miles (rather than have a training plan for the marathon and/or longer races).  At some point, when I understand what 5k and 10k effort means, I'll start thinking about interval work.  

Any harm in racing at the edge of my self each weekend at the 5k-HM?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I look my best blurry!

Did my 1K interval, only one of them at 5:38 pace.  Woo Hoo!  Getting ready for my easy 5Ks this weekend.  

I've been doing "bricks" and I didn't even know it!  

Feeling the growl again

Any harm in racing at the edge of my self each weekend at the 5k-HM?

5k-10k you're probably ok....HMs take some recovery.  And I hope you don't mean every single weekend for months.  In college I raced 5K or 10K (or both) about every second weekend during track season and it got tough after a couple months.

Thanks for the insight.  

Yeah, I didn't have a specific schedule, but I did envision the possibility of months.  I'll see how it goes.  

MTA: During track season, mind you, you were probably doing two workouts a week(?). I'd probably only do one workout during such weeks. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Great job guys.

Looks like there will be some good racing to look forward to hearing about this summer Smile