3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Looks like there will be some good racing to look forward to hearing about this summer Smile

Yeah and don't forget you'll be right in the middle of that mix!

Feeling the growl again

Thanks for the insight.  

Yeah, I didn't have a specific schedule, but I did envision the possibility of months.  I'll see how it goes.  

MTA: During track season, mind you, you were probably doing two workouts a week(?). I'd probably only do one workout during such weeks. 

It depended.  But yeah, we were doing pretty intense weeks.

Overall I think racing as workouts is a good thing, some would just tend to really burn themselves on each and every one.   I want to run more 5K/10Ks this year.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hey, I totally overlooked the outpouring. Smile  It was a partial tear, so no surgery -- just lots of therapy, exercises, ice, heat, elevating the leg (including at work, very much to the dismay of the boss here), and tearing my hair out that I can't run.  So far, it's been entirely compliant, and it's nice to be able to walk and even jog without a limp now.  But I'm getting tired of being so pensive about it every run.

The silver lining: I'm hungrier than ever to run and train again, and I discovered I really like cycling!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

I ok without having great workouts - but lots of good workouts are the key to me getting better

Tuesday night - 3.5 hours on technical / hilly trail

Wed night 8 miles with a 4 mile tempo

Thursday night 2.25 hours of running up and down a steep road loop (1.6 mile loop)

All good workouts - none of them great

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

Thanks for the insight.  

Yeah, I didn't have a specific schedule, but I did envision the possibility of months.  I'll see how it goes.  

MTA: During track season, mind you, you were probably doing two workouts a week(?). I'd probably only do one workout during such weeks. 

Be careful, and take a weekend off once in a while.  I did exactly what you are proposing this past fall and, luckily, it worked out great for me but I definitely felt like I was on the edge of overdoing it.  From September 25th to Dec 5th ( 11 weekends) I raced 5 XC races (5K up to 6miles), one 10K, two 1/2 marathons and 2 marathons (though one of those was really just a long run with a 6 mile tempo at the end but, still, I count it as a race effort).  That's 10 races in 11 weeks and I wouldn't have wanted to continue doing it although it did end in a marathon PR.  BTW, XC races seem to be much easier on me due to the trails/grass surface - you might want to see if you can find some of those to race.

Pretty shity workouts this week for me so far. I had a VO2Max (6x1200m intervals @ 5k to 3k pace) workout on Wednesday. After the first two intervals I got a side stitch that I could not get through so I shortened up the intervals to 800m for the next three and finished with a 400m interval.

I've never really had problems with side stitches before but lately I've been getting them alot. Side stictches and calf tightness seems to be a theme for me this year. Yesterdays Easy run was also shortened because of one.

BTW Spaniel, your Tempo run was faster then my sprinting ability and nice brick Tony, what race is coming up for you?

Thanks! My race is the Rev3 Half Ironman in Knoxville on 5/15.  It'll be my second Half Ironman so I'm still kind of stepping into the unknown.

Tony-What's a brick?  Sorry, but I have no idea.  Virtual HIGH FIVE!!!  

Spaniel-You guys just blow me away.  I'm aiming for more sub 6 tempos in my near future.  

Clive-That sounds pretty darn good so soon after Achilles tear.  Don't know whether I should encourage you or not.  What does your doc say?

I ran 13 miles yesterday, 7 in the am and 6 in the pm.  I woke up feeling great today.  My pace was around 9 min for both runs.  Yesterday wasn't a fast workout but it was an awesome day for me.  Running easy days easy is a big challenge and yesterday I succeeded!  

High Five Wannabee!!! A brick is a bike-run workout similar to what you will do in a triathlon (after the swim of course).

Brick = bike followed by running.  It's hell on the quads!  Nice job with that Tony.

Wish I could say that I had some good workouts.  I'm just happy to be consistently running.  My legs are having a hell of a time recovering this week.  Quads and calves are still sore so nothing but easy.  Last year I would have "forced" a w/o to stay on track with what's written on paper.  Not this year.  I'll do a hard effort when the body tells me I'm ready.  51 miles in 5 days this week.  Legs should be good for a longer run this weekend.

Clive, after having achilles issues both in 2007 and last year, I feel for you.  Good to see you getting a start back out there.  Achilles are a bitch!

Thanks mbehr! I would say you've pushed your body pretty hard to cut a minute+ off your 5k PR recently.  That's pretty intense! Sounds like you're doing the smart thing and listening to your body.

High Five, Tony!!

Sorry about the rough patch, Clive. Ach.

Me, well I did 13 miles at goal marathon pace on Sunday. I've been recovering from that all week and am hoping to do a warmup-10k race-cooldown tomorrow.

Why am I saying this in a workout thread? 

I am fixing to replace workouts with much more racing at 5k and 10k.  

I've grown tired with the inner "uhhh?" I feel when someone says "at 10k effort" or "at 5k effort." I want my body to learn what that means. Plus, I think racing much more will be fun! I want to race all kinds of distances and terrains. 

One idea I've had is to keep racing these distances as I build up my miles (rather than have a training plan for the marathon and/or longer races).  At some point, when I understand what 5k and 10k effort means, I'll start thinking about interval work.  

Any harm in racing at the edge of my self each weekend at the 5k-HM?

High Five Nader!! It seems like I remember reading that BadDawg races a lot of 5Ks and it certainly looks like it's working well for him.

Did my 1K interval, only one of them at 5:38 pace.  Woo Hoo!  Getting ready for my easy 5Ks this weekend.  

I've been doing "bricks" and I didn't even know it!  

I can do 40 yards at a 5:38 pace... maybe. LOL!  Good job!  So you cycle too huh?

Great job guys.

Looks like there will be some good racing to look forward to hearing about this summer Smile

Congrats to you (a little late) on a good race in the heat.  I know too well what the heat can do to a person from the nightmare CMM I ran the week after we were in Boston.  I missed my goal by 32 minutes, and came the closest I've ever come to a DNF.  Heat sucks.  The stomach virus didn't help either.  I still have not been able to eat chocolate cake like we had the night before I left...with the stomach virus on the way home.  Good times. LOL!

I ok without having great workouts - but lots of good workouts are the key to me getting better

Tuesday night - 3.5 hours on technical / hilly trail

Wed night 8 miles with a 4 mile tempo

Thursday night 2.25 hours of running up and down a steep road loop (1.6 mile loop)

All good workouts - none of them great

Good job DB - I read one of your blogs a couple of weeks ago, and what I remember was in a list of workouts, one of yours was 37 easy miles. 37.  When you talk about training, you are speaking a different language than I am. LOL! Keep up the good work, it's inspiring!

Finally hit a good one this week.  18.1 miles in 2:00:20.  First 2 hour run since the botched marathon last October. 

Finally hit a good one this week.  18.1 miles in 2:00:20.  First 2 hour run since the botched marathon last October. 

Holy cow, nice.

I was pleased with myself for running 18 miles in 2:45 this morning,  which is a bit faster than my average easy run pace.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Had a nice long run this morning -- at about half of mbehr's pace I think Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.