3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

I had a couple of good workouts this week, but I think the best one was this one:

4 x (0.5 mi fast, 0.25 easy)
    My half mile splits were: 3:17, 3:13, 3:14, 3:04.

A Saucy Wench

The last time I did intervals I managed 4 and felt they were all too fast for my fitness and that if I hadnt been on  a treadmill I would have not held the pace (yet I did not back off because I am a doofus) and had to walk the first minute of recovery each time and the recovery stil felt too short

Today, same pace, each one felt too easy, ran the recovery at what has been the easy pace lately, 8 x 2 min and then bumped it up another 0.5mph for a 9th one  If my foot hadnt been tight I might have pushed it up.  Next week I'll try a little faster if my foot is feeling ok, otherwise maybe I'll do longer intervals and/or shorter recoveries.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I may have knocked this one out a little too fast.  It's not often the weather in SC is good interval weather.

3 sets of ( 1/4 mi + .1 mi) with .75 mi rest between sets + 1 mi recovery + 200 m on the .5 mi 

400's: 1:19, 1:17,1:19, 1:20, 1:17, 1:19, 1:17, 1:20, 1:21, 1:20, 1:22, 1:16

200's: 37, 36, 37, 37

I've got a huge deficiency in my shorter distances / speed. Never spent ANY time training that element.   Figure spending the next 4-5 months working on that realm should set me up pretty for a fall marathon. 

Pulled out one of Spaniel's fartlek specials...10-8-6-4-2 w/ 1/2 recovery.  ON portion around a 5:35-5:38 pace.  No idea about the OFF as I just kept going but at a "recovery" pace.  With the warmup/cooldown added on, covered 9.25 mi averaging 6:32 per mile.  Lacked the strength at the end but not bad overall.

It's suppose to be cold and rainy on Sunday for the race.  Guess I'll take that vs upper 80's any day.  But again it's a 5k so weather isn't a big deal as long as the wind isn't blowing hard.

DoppleBock

3x pale bock

1x cherry stout

2x barley wine

2x Something from capital

+ something else I can not remember

I am way out of shape - beer drinking shape, but it was still a decent workout.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

3x pale bock

1x cherry stout

2x barley wine

2x Something from capital

+ something else I can not remember

I am way out of shape - beer drinking shape, but it was still a decent workout.

I see when you go, you go all out.  None of this half-ass shit, huh?

So I saw that you got to run at Mauthe Lake/Parnell Tower after the marathon.  I love running in that area.  The in-laws live about 20 mi away from Mauthe Lake.  One of my favorite long runs of last year was a one-way trip from the in-laws to the Lake.  They met us there with food and other stuff.  Too bad we don't have something like that in the burbs.

4XLong Haul session ales by Two Brothers That's enough of a rehydrating cool-down for one might.

I had two good ones back to back this week.   The first was 15 min @ LT x 2 w/5 min recovery.  I ran it at close to 5k pace and it was a tough workout but I finished it.

Today, I did a short brick (11 mile bike @ 21.6 mph followed by 2 mile run @ 7:19 avg pace).  Last mile was 7:05. 

It won't be long until I'm ready to race.

Feeling the growl again

I did a moderate progression run last night.  The workout was not noteworthy but the timing was.  Typically my first post-marathon run is 4 days out, when I grit my teeth and struggle through a painful 4-mile jog on legs that won't yet go down stairs correctly.  Last night was 4 days, and instead I'm easily doing a moderate workout with no signs of soreness in my legs.  Freakish. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Must be the magic of Carmel and CR ...

I felt good enough to beat myself into a pulp Tuesday with runs of 9/7/47 for > 8 hours of running 

I did a moderate progression run last night.  The workout was not noteworthy but the timing was.  Typically my first post-marathon run is 4 days out, when I grit my teeth and struggle through a painful 4-mile jog on legs that won't yet go down stairs correctly.  Last night was 4 days, and instead I'm easily doing a moderate workout with no signs of soreness in my legs.  Freakish. 

C-R

Oh the healing waters of hops and barley in my house. We didn't even need to open the pool for ice baths. Although that was an option.

Let's face it, you two are running machines. I've had a few decent runs this week but nothing stellar. On the up side I did get to watch the Barcelona Chelsea match (portion of it anyway) while it poured yesterday.

Okay. That's all. Carry on.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Must be the magic of Carmel and CR ...

I felt good enough to beat myself into a pulp Tuesday with runs of 9/7/47 for > 8 hours of running 

Somehow I'd missed this.  Holy shyte man.

Last night was the first full-on workout since the marathon...I've been feeling VERY good...so I decided to be aggressive.  4-mile tempo run on the treadmill starting at 11.2mph...felt good after 2.5 miles, so up to 11.3mph for another mile, then 11.4mph for the last half mile.  21:17 = 5:19 pace, the first time I've done this workout under 5:20 pace since April 2006. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Last night I was feeling crappy (mentally) - Overcast and damp ~ I really did not want to grind out 5+ hours on TM or Rail Trail.  Then from a post WG had in ultra-forum.  I decided to screw it, what I really needed was a mental pick-me-up.  So at 3:40 I decided I was going to run the Ice Age trail - 1 hour drive each way.

Started out conservative and hit Butler Lake in 1:12:53

Then I started to feel pretty good and ran to Parnell Tower Parking Lot in 47:58

Total 1st half = 1:00:51 ~ 2nd fastest ever (Well now 3rd after the run back)

Back to Butler Lake in 46:25 (Fastest ever)

On to Mauthe Lake in 1:12:03 (Not fastest - But whole way was in dark on Technical trail - No Way I run any downhill fast in the dark)

Total Back in 1:58:28 (Fastest ever)

Total time 3:59:19 ~ about a 30 second PR (26 miles)

I felt really good at the end and was going to run to New Fane and back ~ Another 9 miles.  But then I thought it was 9:30 already, I felt really good, had a really good run and workout ~ Why ... Just be happy.

Last night I was feeling crappy (mentally) - Overcast and damp ~ I really did not want to grind out 5+ hours on TM or Rail Trail.  Then from a post WG had in ultra-forum.  I decided to screw it, what I really needed was a mental pick-me-up.  So at 3:40 I decided I was going to run the Ice Age trail - 1 hour drive each way.

Started out conservative and hit Butler Lake in 1:12:53

Then I started to feel pretty good and ran to Parnell Tower Parking Lot in 47:58

Total 1st half = 1:00:51 ~ 2nd fastest ever (Well now 3rd after the run back)

Back to Butler Lake in 46:25 (Fastest ever)

On to Mauthe Lake in 1:12:03 (Not fastest - But whole way was in dark on Technical trail - No Way I run any downhill fast in the dark)

Total Back in 1:58:28 (Fastest ever)

Total time 3:59:19 ~ about a 30 second PR (26 miles)

I felt really good at the end and was going to run to New Fane and back ~ Another 9 miles.  But then I thought it was 9:30 already, I felt really good, had a really good run and workout ~ Why ... Just be happy.

Great run! I love that trail... Wish we had some like it here. All we have is rocky crap.

Kalsarikännit

Great run! I love that trail... Wish we had some like it here. All we have is rocky crap.

He's up by the Northern Kettle Moraine.  Not the same as the Southern Unit.  Trust me, he has plenty of rocky crap.  If you ever want to do Glacial 50 mile you can see all the rocks in their glory.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart