3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Had a fun cross-training workout today, except, like every year I do this tri, I got sunburnt. I oughtter lern to put more sunblock on the instant I cross the finish line, and I'd be a lost happier the rest of the day.

Still, some fun swimming and tiring cycling made a good intro to put me out running already very fatigued, unable to drop DW racing me, or even to push her hardly at all -- but it's all exercise.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I ran a fartlek today.  I started out on a very hilly train and damn was it fun!  I had ab cramps, ugh, but was able to stretch out while I ran.  I'm glad no one was around because I looked like a dork jogging with my arms up in the air and arching my back.  Thankfully I worked it out and got out onto a rolling road.  Not too crazy but it felt like a great workout.   I loved the whacky looking data of the pace and elevation.  I think it was just what a fartlek is supposed to be.  I had a blast today!

Looked like a great run.  I love trails too, just wish we had more "real" trails around here.  Such is life in the burbs though.  The part that I think makes trail running great is you tend to be so focused on footing and working the trail that you lose sense of time and you can just go without wondering about splits, pace, etc.

Finally back to normal!  Had a decent stretch of good running to finish up last week and already started this week out right with a 12-miler this morning.  Don't know what the hell caused the hammy to do what it did but am glad that there is no twinge of pain, tightness or anything in that area now.  Let the good times roll!

Man.  Well hopefully lots of easy running will keep that hamstring comfy.

Well, I had my first 60-mile week in months.  Grateful for that.

Week also included a 10k race (Mon.), a get-the-wheels-rolling-again interval workout (Fri.) an 11-mile trail race (Sun.).

My legs are beat, but a good beat. 

May back off this race-every-week-or-two thing.  I think I learned a few things during that process, though. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I have poplieteal tendinitis! wooo hooo!!

That doesn't sound appealing.  Hope it clears up soon!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Yea, it kind of blows.

I guess it's been hanging out for a week or so...maybe more, but I finally decided i'd start paying attention to it. It presents itself by feeling like it's ripping off my leg for the first 3-5 strides. Those first few strides down the block make me feel like a rusty gate. Then it loosens and stops hurting and I don't feel it for the rest of the run. Then post run it gets really tight and I hobble around limping for a few hours. But then the limping stops (until post run again) and I can just feel a tiny little twinge when I move it around.

How you going to deal with it, Candice?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

L Train

Those first few strides down the block make me feel like a rusty gate. Then it loosens and stops hurting and I don't feel it for the rest of the run. Then post run it gets really tight and I hobble around limping for a few hours.

Well then I have wholefuckingbody tendonitis.

I have poplieteal tendinitis! wooo hooo!!

pop- what? Where's that at?  Whatever it is, I hope it clears up.  Never good limping in between post runs.  Did that back in 2007 with the achilles- wasn't a good idea.  Yes, my achilles have bitten me twice...2007 and last year.  I'm not letting it happen again this year!

pop- what? Where's that at? 

Back of knee, basically. More toward the right, just off center. I self-diagnosed because I had the same issue in 2007, only, in the left leg instead of right leg.

Nads- I dunno yet.

Thats not good at all!  How did you deal with it in the other knee?

Hey, I recall reading that it's exacerbated by the foot turning in.  I also vaguely recall seeing a picture of you, where your push-off foot is fairly pigeon-toed.  How you alter that (or whether you should even try), I dunno.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Yea, the left one does sort of turn in pigeon-toed-like on push off during fatigue but i've never seen the right one do that (or at least no photo evidence) I know from past physical therapy that the left one I land on the tip of the left part of the forefoot, and instead of rolling all the way to the ball like you're supposed to, I start to roll to the second toe and stop. Putting all my weight on my second toe before pushing off again...which is why i've broken it (literally in half) from overuse before. Every now and then, I get sharp pain in it at the end of a long run or marathon. Fatigue.

That said...I don't think any of that has anything to do with the right leg popliteus injury unless it's just all compensation related. Although i'm sort of tempted to blame this on leg curls at the gym...maybe used too much weight and tweaked it. I'm not entirely sure it's completely related to running even though it's something irritated by it/that is irritating it.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to attempt to "change" how you run. Certain biomechanics cause certain injuries, sure... but the way you run naturally is also what makes you the runner you are. Look at Kim Smith or Paula Radcliffe... that aint pretty running. But maybe that's just me being lazy and feeling like running should be simple. I dunno. I guess I feel like it's just better to strengthen the areas where you're weak by doing specific exercises and such...which, I guess, is exactly the same thing as changing the way you run since inevitably you'll stop doing the things you're doing during fatigue if those areas are stronger.

Mandy- when this happened in 07, I was seeing a sports chiro who was giving me e-stim treatments twice a week for about 6 months. I thought it helped a lot...but now people are saying e-stim is a bunch of crap. So maybe it was the placebo effect? ha. I mean, it did continue to go on for months so it's not like it was an immediate cure or anything. Either way... I kept running on it. Usually just soaked it in bio-freeze before hand (which i'm doing now) and sucked it up. I don't know that i'll look into getting e-stim again. Maybe, if it gets any worse.

I had an epically terrible workout today.

Nothing to do with the leg I don't think...as yesterday it started feeling a bit better.