3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

I look my best blurry!

Mandy- when this happened in 07, I was seeing a sports chiro who was  I thought it helped a lot...but now people are saying e-stim is a bunch of crap. So maybe it was the placebo effect? ha. I mean, it did continue to go on for months so it's not like it was an immediate cure or anything. Either way... I kept running on it. Usually just soaked it in bio-freeze before hand (which i'm doing now) and sucked it up. I don't know that i'll look into getting e-stim again. Maybe, if it gets any worse.

"giving me e-stim treatments twice a week for about 6 months."  In my opinion, if it was really e-stim treatments, the sports chiro got rich and you got nothing for your money.  

"bunch of crap." Agreed.

I don't think biofreeze is a good idea.  It masks your pain that is trying to tell you something.  It does absolutely nothing to heal.  

Have you used ice?  Rest?  I know, I know!  I hate these options as much as anyone here.   

Try a physical therapist.  Find one that regularly treats running injuries.  There are lots of other treatment options. 

Feeling the growl again

I ran today.  Considering the past month, that counts as a good workout.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

I am struggling at the moment, but at least I'm (sort of) running - given the 6 months + I had off with the Achilles, I too should be grateful I guess.

"giving me e-stim treatments twice a week for about 6 months."  In my opinion, if it was really e-stim treatments, the sports chiro got rich and you got nothing for your money.  

"bunch of crap." Agreed.

I don't think biofreeze is a good idea.  It masks your pain that is trying to tell you something.  It does absolutely nothing to heal.  

Have you used ice?  Rest?  I know, I know!  I hate these options as much as anyone here.   

Try a physical therapist.  Find one that regularly treats running injuries.  There are lots of other treatment options. 

Yea, that's why i'm not doing it again. It seemed to help at the time, and it eventually went away. But i'm thinking now it had nothing to do with the e-stim. Things just heal eventually.

I know biofreeze doesn't heal, but it loosens it up and helps me walk around without limping. And yes to the ice... no to the rest. If i'm physically able to run and feel i'm not doing more damage to something, then I run. So far, that's what i'm seeing. I don't like to be a pansy and just not run because something is uncomfortable because something is ALWAYS uncomfortable (and it's not, since it loosens up after about a minute into the run) It seemed to be feeling better, then I did an (epic fail) workout yesterday and now i'm limping around again. Ugh. I will probably find that when I try to run easy this afternoon, i'll be able to and it'll loosen it up.

I'd rest if I had never had this injury before, but I have...and I know that running through it is fine. Or it was last time. It just sucks. But really, it only sucks when i'm walking around.  You're a physical therapist, right? I've been to one before...but not for this particular thing.

... no to the rest. If i'm physically able to run and feel i'm not doing more damage to something, then I run. So far, that's what i'm seeing.

Just conversing and not arguing, but ... what if running keeps it in its injured state and obstructs healing?  At some point, all the management efforts do is hold it steady while the athlete trains on it -- never gets worse, but never heals.  Long term, I'd expect there have to be consequences.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Maybe. The other leg with the (seemingly) same injury didn't have any long term effects from continuing to run on it. That was 4 years ago.

"Uh, can I have your Achilles tendons, then?"

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

You guys got in my head and I didn't run yesterday. (That and I was limping all day) Instead I got really depressed and ate a lot of pizza.

First day off in 50 days. (since the wisdom teeth surgery) Bleck. I feel like crap.

Feeling the growl again

First day off in 50 days. 

It was probably good for you.  Even in my superhuman days I forced myself to take every 21st day off, whether I thought I needed it or not.  There were plenty of times I WANTED to run that day, but then the day after was glad I didn't as I could tell after that little recovery that I was more beat down than I'd thought at the time...it creeps up on you and you start thinking it's normal...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

First 2-hour road run in quite some time.  Kind of surprised at how tough it was on my legs. Onward. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

It was probably good for you.  Even in my superhuman days I forced myself to take every 21st day off, whether I thought I needed it or not.  There were plenty of times I WANTED to run that day, but then the day after was glad I didn't as I could tell after that little recovery that I was more beat down than I'd thought at the time...it creeps up on you and you start thinking it's normal...

Maybe. It certainly wasn't good for my sanity. I ran all weekend after the day off...but i'm afraid i'm about to get an email from my coach to tell me to crosstrain.

Nevermind. He thinks im not making it worse. I getsta run!

Awesome.  Your coach has a good approach to these things!

Good thing! Tell your popliteus to nut up!

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

I did a workout today.  I have no idea if it was a good workout. It had some hard running and I ran more than I normally do Mon-Fri. 

I don't know what the purpose of it was except to do some faster running mixed into a longer run.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus