3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

I just did.

Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Well...I'm focusing on strength training for now, but I had a good one with my two sons.  I started doing weighted pullups again and did two sets of 8 reps with a 35 lb plate strapped around my waist.  It helped to have the young whipper snappers there.  Trying to stay ahead of them for a few more years.  Pretty cool to watch them get stronger too. 

Feeling the growl again

Well...I'm focusing on strength training for now, but I had a good one with my two sons.  I started doing weighted pullups again and did two sets of 8 reps with a 35 lb plate strapped around my waist.  It helped to have the young whipper snappers there.  Trying to stay ahead of them for a few more years.  Pretty cool to watch them get stronger too. 

Awesome.  I'd be scared to try pullups in front of a crowd right now.

One of my favorite workouts is a 10 mile fartlek where the "recovery" pace is kept fast...around marathon pace.  There are a lot of ways to do this workout.  I did one last night on my treadmill with a total time of 55:42.  Despite not being able to find a calibration error I really doubt I could race a 10-miler that fast now.  But it was still a good workout.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slo

I've strung a couple of good weeks together after a year of lost mojo.

Looking to keep a 60 mpw average over the next few months and step it up higher this spring.

I was hoping you'd send me your computrainer for a few months since you don't seem to be using it.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I'm completely impressed by anyone that can do pullups at all - never mind weighted ones.  Nice work Tony!

Spaniel - that sounds like a very cool workout.  When I'm recovered and feeling good again I might give it a go.  Not at that pace obviously! But the equivalent.  How much faster were the fast bits of the fartlek compared to the recovery bits?

Nice work Slo_Hand :-)

Feeling the growl again

How much faster were the fast bits of the fartlek compared to the recovery bits?

Mandy it depends how you do the workout; full details on that one are in my log.  I got up to ~10K pace on the "ON" sections, they were 4-5min long.  I had to slow own but when I'm actually in shape that's about what it is.  But if the "ON" sections are longer, they will of course be slower.  That's what's great about the workout, there are so many things you can do with it..

-alternate 4-5min ON with 2minOFF

-cut-down 10ON/5OFF/8ON/4OFF/6ON/3OFF/4ON/2OFF/2ON (a staple!)

-8ON/4OFF X 3-4

etc etc etc

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not a single good workout, but now 5 x ~60 mile weeks, mostly feeling good.

Money in the bank. Cool

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Went to the gym, finally.  Did 3x15 hip adductors,abductors, lat pull downs, lunges, and reverse lunges.  Non-running to help running.  Then a nice 9 mile trail run on mostly single track- now that is running Big grin

Slo

Nice job Trent.

I was hoping for another 60+ week but a ^%$#*&^ newbie engineer had other plans for my weekend. I was lucky to any running in.

Nice job Trent.  That explains why I'm catching any ground on the annual mileage total.

Same as Trent for me, no special workouts this week but did get in 50 miles this week. First 50+ mile week since Feb and a nasty tibial stress reaction threw my running in the toilet.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Ostrich runner

I've had a few good ones lately as part of my 8 week C2FTM program. Still not getting the volume I had hoped for, but if I ran the volume I am now year round, I'd be a different person. I'm trying to figure out what a taper looks like on limited mileage and such a short training cycle. A two week taper seems long if it's 25% of my entire training cycle. If my long run is the planned 20, is a week out too short? Maybe I should do the long run 2 weeks out, then maintain volume for another week.... Maybe I should just train through the race? 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I've had a few good ones lately as part of my 8 week C2FTM program. Still not getting the volume I had hoped for, but if I ran the volume I am now year round, I'd be a different person. I'm trying to figure out what a taper looks like on limited mileage and such a short training cycle. A two week taper seems long if it's 25% of my entire training cycle. If my long run is the planned 20, is a week out too short? Maybe I should do the long run 2 weeks out, then maintain volume for another week.... Maybe I should just train through the race? 

Unless you have carried fatigue a real taper is not necessary. Twenty miler two weeks out, hold mileage pretty good that next week with another good tempo later in the week. Then maybe 12 for a long run a week out, and typical low volume final taper week.