3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Had a good double today. 8.5 total. 1.5 in 9:32. Best part was the 5k I ran with one of my 11 yo boys in 24:05.

+1 Now that is a good workout.

Feeling the growl again

Continued to show improvement in my 4 mile treadmill tempo time, down to 20:39 from 20:55 on the 3rd.  Not feeling very rested for this one either, almost bagged it.  I'm hoping the weather improves so I can do a good one outside and really see where I'm at.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Should I consider yesterdays 4x1200m interval workout a good one if I could only manage 2.5 of the 5 mile recovery run that I had planned for today? Son of a B.. I was completely wiped and just could not finish.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Any workout that's hard enough to demand your easy workouts be extremely easy is a good workout.

Should I consider yesterdays 4x1200m interval workout a good one if I could only manage 2.5 of the 5 mile recovery that I had planned for today? Some of a B.. I was completely wiped and just could finish.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

Should I consider yesterdays 4x1200m interval workout a good one if I could only manage 2.5 of the 5 mile recovery that I had planned for today? Some of a B.. I was completely wiped and just could finish.

Sounds almost like a Hurt Myself workout.  Good occasionally as long as you don't stack them close and busticate yourself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Got 3 miles at well under HM PR pace this morning.  Could not do this workout a week ago, but a rest day seems to have helped. The other workout this week on Tuesday night was 3 X 7 min at about the same pace (about 10K pace) with 3 min rest, but was on a dirt track which is 10-15 sec/mile slower than asphalt. 

Looks like if the workout is on the treadmill, I just need to be brave and crank it up and hold on for dear life.  I'll either pull something or get faster.

Some good workouts going on!

I had a really nice row session today. Got 6350 meters in 30:00. Since I have to keep my strokes to 30 and under per minute I can't get a hard workout in but at least I got some sweat going

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Some good workouts going on!

I had a really nice row session today. Got 6350 meters in 30:00. Since I have to keep my strokes to 30 and under per minute I can't get a hard workout in but at least I got some sweat going

Pam, I've never seen anyone in my gym go more than 30 mins on that thing, so it sounds like a hard workout to me.

Also...didn't want to start a whole different thread on this, so I think it fits here:

Looking for a little confirmation…

Focus this year is all 5K. Would like to go <17 (current PR from Nov is 17:35)

General  strategy: 50-60 miles / week, with 1 tempo, 1 “fartlek” (shorter on/offs or intervals faster than tempo pace) and 1 usually “moderate” long run (generally 10-12 miles MP or thereabouts). Based on schedule, to get those miles in, usually 2 days a week I will run 5 miles in the AM, 7-8 at lunch. Long run 1 weekend day. Rest 1 weekend day. Strength train (Pfitz circuit) 2 days a week.

So far, the couple of tempos I’ve done have been within 10 secs of 5kPR pace. The fartleks at PR or 10 secs or so faster. I get the feeling I could do these longer and/or faster, but trying to exercise a little restraint*. It’s only been about 5 weeks of this general plan (spent the better part of last year on Pfitz marathon plan). First race of the year in 2 weeks, and I feel like it’s probably right to show a little restraint in these workouts until at least after then, to sort out where I am.

I know there are a million ways to approach this stuff, but in the absence of a coach, you guys are my feedback. Is this a sound approach?

*today for example: 3 x 1mile at 5:40 plus 0.5 mile @ 5:27 with 2 minute recoveries @ 8:00 – I feel like I could have added 2 more miles @ 5:40 easily, but this is faster than I’ve done this stuff before, so not trying to be a workout hero until I get some race feedback.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

ha.. GVille.. You should look at my w/o in Sept and Oct. The goal has been 3 day cycles with alternating fartleck / tempo. For me, the key has been t30-40 min of tempo work. I dont even have a long run and I made it sub-17. Looks like you are really close right now to your goal.

General  strategy: 50-60 miles / week, with 1 tempo, 1 “fartlek” (shorter on/offs or intervals faster than tempo pace) and 1 usually “moderate” long run (generally 10-12 miles MP or thereabouts). Based on schedule, to get those miles in, usually 2 days a week I will run 5 miles in the AM, 7-8 at lunch. Long run 1 weekend day. Rest 1 weekend day. Strength train (Pfitz circuit) 2 days a week.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

Thanks Parklife. Yeah, those weeks look a lot like what I'm aiming for. Gives me some good hope.

J-L-C

I know there are a million ways to approach this stuff, but in the absence of a coach, you guys are my feedback. Is this a sound approach?

*today for example: 3 x 1mile at 5:40 plus 0.5 mile @ 5:27 with 2 minute recoveries @ 8:00 – I feel like I could have added 2 more miles @ 5:40 easily, but this is faster than I’ve done this stuff before, so not trying to be a workout hero until I get some race feedback.

Looks like a good consistent, maintainable workload. Have you thought of maybe adding some 200-400m intervals on to your tempos/fartleks/mile sessions? I'd had success with just a little extra faster (3k pace - mile pace) stuff added to the strength work.

I've actually done very little to no 5k pace work over the last two months. Mostly just some tempo/10k work with a little 3k work added into the mix. It all seems to come together on race day, though.

J-L-C

I had a goodish workout the other day and just easy days since.

8x200m around mile pace with 200m recoveries then 2k at threshold pace. The 200s sucked, though. Just couldn't get moving fast enough. Was shooting for 36s and I kept hitting 37s. I tried starting faster, closing faster, running the whole 200m faster, everything. Just didn't seem to work. Only one second, I guess, but a bit frustrating, too.

And then running 2k at 43-44s per 200 wasn't much of a big deal. Those 7-8s per 200m make a big difference I guess.

Have you thought of maybe adding some 200-400m intervals on to your tempos/fartleks/mile sessions? 

Yeah, I've started to avoid shorter fast intervals. Looking back on all the times I've tweaked, pulled or outright injured something, it's always been from a speed session of intervals. Whatever I was doing with those (probably running too fast with crap form) wasn't good for me.

Haha, that's some pretty smug looking beer drinking.  Looks awesome.  I'd love to see (and play in) Yosemite in the snow, we were there at the end of summer and that was stunning.  If I can take some whisky with me for a celebratory brew then this snowshoeing lark sounds even better.  Very tempted to try and hire some, and also see if we can hire some XC boots/skis.  Looks like running may be out as the only runnable surface (in terms of ice and snow) is the busy and narrow mountain road.  Will have a bit more of a recce tomorrow to see if I can find anything. If not I have the very scary prospect of 2 weeks off.  Not sure I like that.

If you go do not forget your celebratory brew.  Sierra Nevada Pale Ale here.  This was out of Bear Valley up into Yosemite's Olmstead Point.  My buddy and me photographed by my wife.  Those two guys in the background (who were the only other people we saw on that trip) wished they hadn't forgotten their beers!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yeah, I think that I did.  To day's 30 mile run is the longest run I've done not in a race.

It is a heck of a lot harder for me to run 30 alone than it is in a race.

steph