3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

J-L-C

Took Sunday and Monday off due to some foot pain, but Tuesday I was ready to go and yesterday (Wed) I had a good workout.

Progression 10k starting at marathon pace and working down to 15k pace. Didn't really "progress" that well. Instead I sort of started slow, sped up, slowed down, sped up a lot,  then last km fast.. Finished the last 3.5k on the track so that helped ease the pacing issues.

Last km was in 3:34 and clocked a 37:12 for the whole thing. That's the third fastest 10k I've ever run and including warm up and cool down I managed 9 miles at 6:11 pace so far and away my fastest ever training run. Hopefully I'll keep my limbs sorted out with some stretching and massage from here forwards. Have a 5k race in 3 weeks so looking forward to that.

ahh.. have no idea how to read kms!

But, you have been rolling. Nice to stack those solid workouts up.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

J-L-C

ahh.. have no idea how to read kms!

But, you have been rolling. Nice to stack those solid workouts up.

Haha. Sorry. I had to bust out the online conversion calculators just to figure out how long and fast that was in miles.

I do love me some metric. Cool

The King of Beasts

I hit a milestone. I hit a weekly pr and this will be my first 200+ mile month.

Nice Running !

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

J-L-C

I ran in shorts today! After a ridiculously frigid December we're having an almost spring like late Jan/early Feb. Crazy weather.

Ran to the track and had a 10x300m 5k paced session with 200m recoveries. Was shooting for 60s on the fast stuff and 52s on the slow stuff. Managed to get that or under for them all. Finished the full 5k in 18:35 so all was good.

lagwagon

That warm weather sounds nice JLC, and great 5k workout.  (I'll be happy to hit that time in races a couple times this year.)

I'm training for a May marathon, and did 19 mi today with 10 at MP.  I couldn't quite find my groove, and bounced back & forth between 6:30 and 7:00+ pace, but somehow landed each mile within 5-10 seconds of goal.  Final average pace was 6:49/mi over the 10 mi, which is right where I want to be (looking for a sub-3 this spring).

Fair amount of self doubt going in, and not the best feeling workout, but very happy with the outcome.  Still not confident that a sub-3 is in the cards for me this Spring, but smoothing out the next MP run would be a confidence boost.

Still, today is a win.

J-L-C

Nice run, lagwagon! Running 19 miles still seems a bit hard to get a handle on. I think the longest I've ever done is 14 and that seemed to go on forever.

Plus 10 of that at MP? Definitely sounds like a win to me. Nicely done.

Feeling the growl again

I think the longest I've ever done is 14 and that seemed to go on forever.

Heh.  I just got an idea for another stupid stunt.....which would certainly fix the 14 miles being your longest run...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

J-L-C

Heh.  I just got an idea for another stupid stunt.....which would certainly fix the 14 miles being your longest run...

I'm afraid to ask...

Be very afraid.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

C-R

FFS. Hopefully it can wait for warmer temps.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Be afraid, very afraid...

I'm afraid to ask...

On another note, finally getting things to come back around.  This week has been a distaster with work schedules (got about 3 hours sleep Tuesday night.  Now that all that is behind me and I had two decent nights sleep, I set out for an 8 mile tempo.  45:35 for the 8 which was an average 5:42 per mile.  Was really happy with the consistency throughout.  Helped mentally to break down the long tempo effort in 2 mile segments.

Be afraid, very afraid...

On another note, finally getting things to come back around.  This week has been a distaster with work schedules (got about 3 hours sleep Tuesday night.  Now that all that is behind me and I had two decent nights sleep, I set out for an 8 mile tempo.  45:35 for the 8 which was an average 5:42 per mile.  Was really happy with the consistency throughout.  Helped mentally to break down the long tempo effort in 2 mile segments.

Whoa. You are rollin'. All those middle distance PR's are begging to be felled for you. Nice.

MTC: shit, ALL those PR's.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Whoa. You are rollin'. All those middle distance PR's are begging to be felled for you. Nice.

MTC: shit, ALL those PR's.

I hope so.  I just need to race a little more.  In the last few years, here's what I've done:

2010 - 7 races (4 mi, 5 mi, 10k, 7 mi, 10 mi, 1/2M and M)

2011 - 5 races (2 x 5k, 10k, 10 mi and M).  The 10 mi was a DNF due to hamstring strain.

2012 - 4 races (5k, 4 mi, 1/2M, 5.2 mi).  The 1/2M was an impromptu attempt and the 5.2 mi was a fun run as a part of a tri team.

Each of those years were riddled with some kind of injury.  I'm in the middle of my best stretch of running in 14 years and am feeling pretty dang good.  I really would like to get a few shorter races in before Boston.  We'll have to see what I can find.

xhristopher

Thanks to the nor'easter I was able to get a nice little 14 miler in first thing in the morning and then start drinking with lunch.

They had better put my tax money to work and clear the crap so I can run long again on Sunday. That's all I'm asking for.