3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

MrH

Ran 400s with a running buddy today. Ran 1:08.22 on the fourth -- looked it up in my log just now and my open 400 PR is 1:08, so now I'm feeling confident I can get a 400 PR this summer. And yeah, I skipped the 5th & 6th ones, because I was tired.

Nice workout.

In the 400m race you could stop after 200m, because you are tired.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In the 400m race you could stop after 200m, because you are tired.

That sounds analogous to the plan I usually start considering about 1/2 way through a 5K.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Purdey

Self anointed title

No workouts, but a solid week so far. Might not get out tomorrow though.

a solid week so far

I'll say! Nice running.

I'll say! Nice running.

Definitely.  Very nice indeed. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

100 miles!!!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

100 miles!!!

I think Purdey got kicked a week ago and hasn't stopped.  1st one since the 50km last year?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good thing he doesn't have a uterus, or he'd have to go back to last week and start looking for where it fell out.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I was 2nd female at the Moon Pie 10 miler this weekend...slower pace than my half last month, but damn, it was sticky and hot in TN.

Ben won it.

I was 2nd female at the Moon Pie 10 miler this weekend...slower pace than my half last month, but damn, it was sticky and hot in TN.

Ben won it.

Nice job with the 10.  Did you have flash back of Barbados in St Louis?

Been meaning to ask how things are going with the new coach.  Your daily w/o graph is looking pretty symmetrical with the 8 mi regular runs and a few longer ones thrown in there.  Bottom line, there appears to be a pattern...

Nice job with the 10.  Did you have flash back of Barbados in St Louis?

Been meaning to ask how things are going with the new coach.  Your daily w/o graph is looking pretty symmetrical with the 8 mi regular runs and a few longer ones thrown in there.  Bottom line, there appears to be a pattern...

Yea, but only like 20 times Wink I'm just terrible in the heat.

Things are going well I guess. I think it's going to take a little while for me to see any significant improvement in races seeing as how he has me running easy runs faster than I used to run my easy runs. My body is in a phase of transition I think. I'm not racing terribly or anything but i'm not racing my fastest. We are working toward the NYC marathon though...all other races are insignificant. Actually, he doesn't want me really racing any of them. He gave me the restriction of 6:40-6:50 for Saturdays 10 miler...though I wasn't even able to pull that off given my terrible heat skills. I was knocking off 6:40s-50s in the beginning, hanging out behind the first female, got locked in, and it slowed me in the later part of the race. I just wanted to be done really. There wasn't leg or cardiovascular fatigue, I was just hot. I couldn't run faster. Similar to St. Louis.

Anyway, he's not going to get my mileage back up for a while. Building the long run starting this week though since I have that marathon in August to run. I would like 3:05 there so I can get sub-elite for NYC.

In ways im frustrated, but im trying to look at the big picture and not worry so much about performing at my best right now.

Yea, but only like 20 times Wink I'm just terrible in the heat.

Things are going well I guess. I think it's going to take a little while for me to see any significant improvement in races seeing as how he has me running easy runs faster than I used to run my easy runs. My body is in a phase of transition I think. I'm not racing terribly or anything but i'm not racing my fastest. We are working toward the NYC marathon though...all other races are insignificant. Actually, he doesn't want me really racing any of them. He gave me the restriction of 6:40-6:50 for Saturdays 10 miler...though I wasn't even able to pull that off given my terrible heat skills. I was knocking off 6:40s-50s in the beginning, hanging out behind the first female, got locked in, and it slowed me in the later part of the race. I just wanted to be done really. There wasn't leg or cardiovascular fatigue, I was just hot. I couldn't run faster. Similar to St. Louis.

Anyway, he's not going to get my mileage back up for a while. Building the long run starting this week though since I have that marathon in August to run. I would like 3:05 there so I can get sub-elite for NYC.

In ways im frustrated, but im trying to look at the big picture and not worry so much about performing at my best right now.

I hear ya on the heat!  Give me a cool 50 degrees and I can just keep going.  Give me hot and humid and I just want to be done.  I bailed after 12 yesterday as I knew I was just sweating too much for what I was taking in.  I actually napped in the afternoon as the run wiped me out.  The wife was on a 2-hr bike ride and the kids were actually being good.  Smile

Remember coaches are there to think of the big picture.  Athletes tend to get focused on the short-term 1-2 weeks and what they need to do in the moment.  If your going stir crazy by not working on the mileage, sounds like it's a good time to work on all those little things (i.e. core/strength, flexibility) that will make a big difference down the road.  I always keep telling myself that I need to build that in the daily routine but it tends to take a back seat in the overall schedule.  Balancing the wife's workout schedule, kid's schedule, work schedule and what I want to get in running wise makes for challenging times.  I only hope for consistent schedule where I could two-a-days in.  Good luck with the summer build-up.  I've been silently watching to see what the coach is having you do.  I struggle to build that big picture focus.  It's something I'm trying to learn to take me to that next step.

Remember coaches are there to think of the big picture.  Athletes tend to get focused on the short-term 1-2 weeks and what they need to do in the moment.  If your going stir crazy by not working on the mileage, sounds like it's a good time to work on all those little things (i.e. core/strength, flexibility) that will make a big difference down the road.  I always keep telling myself that I need to build that in the daily routine but it tends to take a back seat in the overall schedule. 

Exactly!! (bold)

I've been doing a lot of strength training which is something he wants me to do. Lots of leg, core, and upper body stuff. I just haven't written any of it in my log because i'm lazy Wink This is another reason my body is in a transition phase...strength training knocks me out (leg stuff) for a couple of days so i'm running on dead legs a lot of times. My issue with my popliteal tendon is pretty much non existant now. We think it was due to upping weight on squats and then doing a speed workout the next day. It was something that had been tweaking before that but that combo made it worse. I have been advised not to do strength the night before a workout anymore Wink Oops. Duh.

I dunno...it'll all be worth it in the end i'm sure Smile It's tough watching friends run the times I want to run right now. I'm happy for them, i'm just that competitive.

If you wanna see what my coach is doing on a more advanced level, look at Bens log...he's been coaching him the past few weeks as well.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I think Purdey got kicked a week ago and hasn't stopped.  1st one since the 50km last year?

Yes. I haven't really trained since then. Have totally run out of time before Leadville, but think I can at least salvage a finish.

Interesting looking at your training Candice. My coach also has me running easy runs faster - although that's only faster for me, and still a good 15 to 20 seconds a mile if not more slower than your recent easy pace. I'll have fingers toes and everything crossed for your marathon in August. I'm going to try for mine at a half, probably also in August or maybe early September. Not sure if today's workout should be in this thread or the I'm going to hurt myself thread! 6x1km off what was supposed to be 90 sec jog recoveries. They all ended up ever so slightly longer than that. But still. Very happy with the reps, all pretty much where I was aiming - between 3.53 and 3.57. But Oh Yes that hurt!