3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Okay so this is crazy...I thought that sounded familiar. I looked at what he has down for me on Wednesday as a workout... 5 x 1k @ 3:50 with 800 m recovery!! I wasn't dreading it, but now that you said it hurt..... Wink 

Anyway, thanks! actually...I wasn't aware that there was a half time you could run to get into sub-elite. What is it? I'd still probably have a better chance at the marathon as i'm better at that than the half distance.

Feeling the growl again

Okay so this is crazy...I thought that sounded familiar. I looked at what he has down for me on Wednesday as a workout... 5 x 1k @ 3:50 with 800 m recovery!!

Hmmm.   For me this would hurt more than Mandy's workout.  I always used to do 1K's on 2min recovery.  800m recovery means running them more anaerobically, I would think the bite in the last 400m of each one would be most unpleasant running them faster.  Of course I suck at anything anaerobic.  I don't think I can get my HR over 160 right now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I totally read her comment before coffee this morning. For some reason I thought it said 900 m recovery, not 90 sec. Ha. WTF? Why would I even think that...

Why would I even think that...

You said so yourself....you read it before coffee.

Ben says I look like the 5hr energy guy on the commercial before i've had coffee. (before he's had the bottle of 5hr energy, obviously)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I did 600s for my first time ever today. I would have happily walked recovery, but the other guys wanted to jog, so I wound up doing that. But, I got them to give me "time to reset my watch" after the jog, before the next start, and that time amounted to more like 20+sec Smile  I liked having the time standing around (slightly pretending I needed to fiddle with watch).

The idea was to do 5x600 at goal mile pace, with 5min recovery, but we only did 4--however, as I'd had doubts about getting through it, I was quite happy anyway.   My math was off -- I thought we went sub-goal pace, but turns out they were hovering perhaps a bit above goal mile pace.  

But I am still happy to have survived them.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Okay so this is crazy...I thought that sounded familiar. I looked at what he has down for me on Wednesday as a workout... 5 x 1k @ 3:50 with 800 m recovery!! I wasn't dreading it, but now that you said it hurt..... Wink 

Anyway, thanks! actually...I wasn't aware that there was a half time you could run to get into sub-elite. What is it? I'd still probably have a better chance at the marathon as i'm better at that than the half distance.

Well all I can say is good luck.  I decided I'd enjoyed it about 3-4 hours later Smile

Half time is 1.27 so roughly the equivalent of 3.05.  I just can't manage a marathon in the middle of harrier season when I'm racing almost every week.  As it is I have Wellington Road Champs (10k), National Road Champs (5k), National Road Relays (probably 8k) with a week off in between each and so I have to decide whether to do the half in between the first two or the second two (or both!)

in the middle of harrier season when I'm racing almost every week.

jealous!  The warrior dash on Saturday reminded me off XC running...it was always my favorite time of the year.

Not a spectacular day of intervals like Candice, Mandy or AP but it was a run where I had that good feeling afterwards.  11 miles total...6 @ 6 mpm, 4 easy and then 8 x barefoot strides w/jog back.  I usually do everything in my clunky size 12 trainers.  This time of year, they're usually water logged by that time.  I can't tell you how awesome that felt going barefoot this morning.  Legs felt quick and strong.  It's been a good couple of weeks going for me.

DoppleBock

Enjoy the goodness 

Not a spectacular day of intervals like Candice, Mandy or AP but it was a run where I had that good feeling afterwards.  11 miles total...6 @ 6 mpm, 4 easy and then 8 x barefoot strides w/jog back.  I usually do everything in my clunky size 12 trainers.  This time of year, they're usually water logged by that time.  I can't tell you how awesome that felt going barefoot this morning.  Legs felt quick and strong.  It's been a good couple of weeks going for me.

I am looking forward to wandering 5-6 hours all alone in the woods tonight.

There is still some debate if WI has cougars or not - Most are convinced we do ... It is one of the only animals that hunt humans.  although this time of year the food sources are plentiful ... but then again DB would make a big juicy meal.  Usually in the middle of the woods after dark, there is a time when all the normal nightime critter noises fall silent, these are the times I get a weird sensation that I am being stalked.  Kindof like running through a large cemetary late on a moonless night - Its fun to be spooked.  Every once in awhile I look back with my headlamp expecting to see a set of eyes following ... stalking me.

http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/DefaultFilePile/images/GT50/GT50map.pdf

About an hour away from my house and all part of the Northern Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Park - Mauthe Lake to Pamell Tower - Reload on h20 and back to Mauthe Lake - Reload on fuel and then and out and back to New Fane.  If the Wolves, Bears or Cougars do not get me, I should be back home in bed by 1:30 am.

I will be lucky to make 10 minute miles on this hilly, technical single track.

My favorite run of the week!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Makes for a sorry ass next day at work

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

About an hour away from my house and all part of the Northern Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Park - Mauthe Lake to Pamell Tower - Reload on h20 and back to Mauthe Lake - Reload on fuel and then and out and back to New Fane.  If the Wolves, Bears or Cougars do not get me, I should be back home in bed by 1:30 am.

That's a nice area to run DB.  Mauthe Lake is about 20 miles away from the in-laws house.  That was one of my favorite long runs last year.  Took off from their house and ran to Mauthe Lake.  They brought the kids out and let them play at the beach and swim while they waited for us to show up.  It was quite refreshing swimming after that run.  Good times!

Enjoy the run, wildlife and all!

Enjoy the goodness 

I am looking forward to wandering 5-6 hours all alone in the woods tonight.

There is still some debate if WI has cougars or not - Most are convinced we do ... It is one of the only animals that hunt humans.  although this time of year the food sources are plentiful ... but then again DB would make a big juicy meal.  Usually in the middle of the woods after dark, there is a time when all the normal nightime critter noises fall silent, these are the times I get a weird sensation that I am being stalked.  Kindof like running through a large cemetary late on a moonless night - Its fun to be spooked.  Every once in awhile I look back with my headlamp expecting to see a set of eyes following ... stalking me.

http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/DefaultFilePile/images/GT50/GT50map.pdf

I will be lucky to make 10 minute miles on this hilly, technical single track.

My favorite run of the week!

Hey, not to be a party pooper, but I have to ask: You don't care about roaming around at night with animals that hunt people? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hey, not to be a party pooper, but I have to ask: You don't care about roaming around at night with animals that hunt people? 

You read my blog, didn't you?

Feeling the growl again

There is still some debate if WI has cougars or not - Most are convinced we do ...

While the state game agencies like to stick their heads in the sand and claim every sighting is an escaped captive one, it's obvious they are resident in every midwestern state now...

-One killed by a train in southern Illinois

-One shot by cops in South Chicago

-Confirmed sightings and game camera pics in southern Indiana

-Multiple reliable sightings in Michigan, all over, including one by myself in my former backyard in semi-suburban Detroit

No examples to quote from WI but they got east of there by coming from somewhere and WI has more secluded territory than any of the above-listed states....

I don't fear cougars/wolves in the East, they seem to come in contact with people often enough to become "street-smart" and avoid contact, populations are thin and therefore the animals are not under pressure.  Out West many of the problems they have areas with attacks are areas that a) have banned cougar hunting leading to over-population and a lack of fear of humans, resulting in young, starving, frustrated males being pushed out of good territory and into the places where people live, and b) territory has been increasingly encroached with development.

That said, when in prime man-eater country out West -- cougars, wolves, grizzlies -- I am carrying my titanium 41Mag at a minimum and cougars are what I am concerned with more than the others.  Though my buddy nearly soiled his pants in a grizzly encounter last year, at least they don't jump you silently from behind.

Sounds like an awesome run DB!  Wish I had something like that around here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills