3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

kcam

According to my new Garmin FR220 I hit a top speed of 36 mph yesterday  while running my 8 mile loop around town. So that's like 1:40 minutes per mile pace. I don't remember going that fast - it must have just been a blur . . .

I'm not sure it's related to this problem but on the old 205/305 we could set "pace smoothing" so that you wouldn't see this kind of anomaly (it was still there, just averaged out).  There is no smoothing setting on the 220 that I can find.  Also, I just updated the firmware to the latest version and still no smoothing and also the non-functioning autopause feature has not been fixed.  Cool. I've gotten used to manually starting and stopping the watch now.  Even with these warts, as I call them, this watch is still worlds better than the 205/305.

MTA - have you played with Cadence yet?  It's kind of fun, for now, to check out how your (my) cadence changes as I run different paces.  Counterintuitively, my cadence increases markedly when I (try) to run fast.   I thought it would be more of a lenghtening of stride rather than such a huge increase in cadence.  If you're very bored check out these three workouts (from Garmin Connect), show three different kinds of 'fast' running, look at the chart at the bottom which is cadence:

6 by ~.33 miles  I ran the 'on' intervals at about current 5K pace, cadence goes from ~180 to fricking 200 during the intervals

12 X 100 sprints (walk 100 recovery)  This for me was almost pure sprinting, though not quite all out, walk recoveries; 220 spm during the sprints.

4.76 mile Club Race  This was a race so tried to run as fast as I could,.  Cadence was more like 190-195 the entire race.  Heh,

On none of these three workouts did I even consider cadence while running, just what naturally occurred.

I find stuff like this fascinating, throw in the HR data and I can sit in front of the monitor for a long time looking at different workouts and even do different kinds of workouts just to get the data. I always thought I ran pretty much at 180spm but I can see that my spm goes way up during races and workouts - I'm a mincing runner?  Should I work on stride length?   I wonder how much longer it'll be before I lose interest?!

That is interesting, Ken.  I do the same thing.  In a race I will likely be 190+.  Maybe it is because my legs are shorter.  LOL.   And it isn't like I don't do a lot of hill work to try and improve my stride length either!!  I figure that if it gets the job done, faster cadence isn't bad.  Sometimes I feel like there is almost a tug-of-war between cadence and striding out if that makes any sense.  On a "good" day it feels like my cadence is lower and I feel more relaxed.

On another note, I have tried running with music at certain bpm to hit a particular cadence.  But what I discovered was that at 180bpm my pace can vary quite a bit (:30 or more per mile according to Garmin) which was surprising to me.  So much for artificially setting a cadence.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

pcaharrier

I've uploaded workouts where my Garmin suddenly dropped my elevation at the start. Now I run with a parachute.

According to RunKeeper I once gained 3,000 feet of elevation while running around a 1.5 mile loop that was almost completely flat.

Prince of Fatness

Not a workout or anything of that sort, but note worthy.  I wanted to get one last run in before surgery so yesterday I went to one of my favorite places, Merrill Creek Reservoir, and ran some trails for a half hour.  It was a chilly morning but perfect for running, really.  So no more running until at least July.  I am looking forward to the time when I can go for that hour run around the reservoir again,

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I did 10X(2minHARD/2minJOG) on the roads...covered about 6 miles doing that, 10 miles with warmup/cooldown.  I have no idea how fast I was going, which was exactly the point of staying off the track.  The first few I had a hard time switching gears and my legs felt awful trying to maintain the speed, but by the last few I felt a lot stronger and was really getting out of the slow-twitch rut.  My legs felt springy and good at the end, despite pushing the last couple.

It felt very good to break out of the slow running rut and get some lactate going for once.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran a lot last weekend, which was fun -- 20mi on Sat, 20mi on Sun, 30mi on Mon -- all in several segments. Made me feel better that I finally got some long running in, as it is time now to taper for my 24hr in 1.5wks.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Ran a lot last weekend, which was fun -- 20mi on Sat, 20mi on Sun, 30mi on Mon -- all in several segments. Made me feel better that I finally got some long running in, as it is time now to taper for my 24hr in 1.5wks.

I guarantee you have no uterus left.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Just a dude.

I guarantee you have no uterus left.

HAHA! +1

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

10X800m with 90sec recoveries over lunch.  Biggest interval workout I have attempted in recent memory.  Started 2:39, ran a single 2:42 in there but all others 2:39-2:41 except the final in 2:36.  Not as fast as I'd like obviously, but the effort felt really good, I finished strong, and the workout didn't leave me wiped out.

C-R

10X800m with 90sec recoveries over lunch.  Biggest interval workout I have attempted in recent memory.  Started 2:39, ran a single 2:42 in there but all others 2:39-2:41 except the final in 2:36.  Not as fast as I'd like obviously, but the effort felt really good, I finished strong, and the workout didn't leave me wiped out.

Boston got you fired up eh? That's a good one.

I ran 7x200+ hills at 90%+ with less than 7:20 pace between reps during my lunch run. Last 1/2 mile my legs felt like jello. And I liked it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Nice to see you guys breaking out the hammers. I ran 3.5 miles on Sunday.. 604, 538, 525 and 551. Still not sure what the 525 mile was all about. Only really stopped the w/o because I was worried I had pushed things too hard. Yet, it never felt like a difficult pace to maintain.

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Boston got you fired up eh? That's a good one.

I just did the workout our mutual buddy whom I work with prescribed.

Except, I did the max number of reps, ran sub-5K pace instead of 5-10K pace, and cut the recovery in half.  Smile

C-R

Except, I did the max number of reps, ran sub-5K pace instead of 5-10K pace, and cut the recovery in half.  Smile

Oh boy. I was supposed to join the Thursday lunch workout but have to go out of town. Those workouts kill my legs but they do work. Yowza.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Crap, I'm suppose to run with Spaniel tomorrow.  He's on the upswing and motivated and I haven't run since Monday.  I'm in trouble.  I think the only thing that's going to save me is that he's planning on a 20-miler the next day.

Feeling the growl again

I think the only thing that's going to save me is that he's planning on a 20-miler the next day.

Regardless of the fact that I am always happy for the opportunity to run with someone at any pace, that will indeed guarantee your safety.  Smile