3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2015 Race Thread (Read 17 times)

It's track season!  Let's see some of those races.

NameDateDistanceRaceLocationGoalResult
    Ntown Kevin 6/6  3k  USATF-CT Outdoor O/M Champs  Bethel, CT  9:40   9:55.33 
    Mbehr 6/6 Sprint Tri Batavia Sprint Tri Batavia, IL <1:08

1:10:04

Roth Runner 6/8 800m Vets League 2nd match Hillingdon, London <2:17

DNS

Roth Runner 6/8 3000m Vets League 2nd match Hillingdon, London <9:35  9:44.4
    Mbehr 6/20 70.3 Tri Toughman WI Half Sherwood, WI <4:50

4:55:27

kencamet 6/20 1500 Club 800/1500/3000 Day  Saratoga, CA 5:10

5:24

kencamet 6/20 800 Club 800/1500/3000 Day Saratoga, CA    2:42

Ntown Kevin

6/6

USATF-CT Outdoor O/M Champs

Bethel, CT

9:40

Kind of a guesstimate on the goal. Never raced this distance before, and never more than a mile on a track. I think managing the laps and the half timing will be interesting. Probably too much math for my brain to handle so will just put head down and race.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Ntown Kevin

6/6

USATF-CT Outdoor O/M Champs

Bethel, CT

9:40

Kind of a guesstimate on the goal. Never raced this distance before, and never more than a mile on a track. I think managing the laps and the half timing will be interesting. Probably too much math for my brain to handle so will just put head down and race.

That's movin!  With your recent 16:41, McMillan suggests a 9:29.8.  Good luck.

Race 1 of 2 is coming up this weekend.  It's enough to focus just on running but when you throw in other two disciplines, it feels like I'm giving a half-assed effort and going through the motions.  We'll see what the result of the miles put in during April and May give.

Race 1: Batavia Sprint Ti

6/6

400m swim, 14.7 mi bike, 4.1 mi run

Goal: <1:08 and Top 3

Figured if I can average 24 mph on the bike and hit 5:40's coming off the bike I have a good shot at that.  I've been putting more emphasis on the bike lately and trying to keep the run mileage around the 40 mpw with some strides in there.  Hopefully that will be enough to keep some of the run speed there.

Race 2: Toughman WI 70..3

6/20

1.2mi swim, 56 mi bike, 13.1 mi (trail) run

Goal: <4:50

Tough one to gauge here.  I'm hoping to have a combined swim/run time of less than 2 hr.  If I do a <40 min swim and run the half in 1:20 give or take a minute, I'll be good.  In the back of my mind, I'd like to avg 22 mph which would put the bike split at 2:30:00.  We'll see though, I may back off of the bike split so that I'm not toast when it comes time for the run.  Temp and wind conditions will play a huge factor into whether I hit 4:30's or am closer to 4:50.

kcam

kencamet 6/20  1500  Club 800/1500/3000 Day  Saratoga, CA   5:10

Normally I'd run the 800 and the 1500 or the 800 and 3000 but there's a 9 mile race the next day that I'll be running as well (but this one's the important one so I'll list that one) so I probably shouldn't run two of them.  I really do hope to run better than 5:10 but even 5:10 is pricing in some improvement over my 40:13 recent 10K.  Can't wait to run it as a 1500 is possibly my favorite race.

Let the good times roll!

Those all look like fun races. Mbehr.. good luck on that tri thing. Esp. on (near) Fathers Day.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

That's movin!  With your recent 16:41, McMillan suggests a 9:29.8.  Good luck.

McMillan doesn't take into account unbridled stupid enthusiasm / inexperience / mental softness apparently.

The ugliness unfolded thusly (from memory):

200 - 0:34 (oh crap)

600 - 1:44 (still dumb)

1,000 - 3:03 (this won't end well)

1,400 - 4:30 (whoa. massive slowdown)

1,800 - 5:55ish (towel thrown)

2,200 - 7:15 (kill me, end this now)

2,600 - 8:40 (no words)

3,000 - 9:55.33 thank God it's over

A bunch of things didn't help (wind, rain, humidity). But this was just all me being dumb and taking it out at suicide pace. Oh well, run and learn.

McMillan doesn't take into account unbridled stupid enthusiasm / inexperience / mental softness apparently.

A bunch of things didn't help (wind, rain, humidity). But this was just all me being dumb and taking it out at suicide pace. Oh well, run and learn.

Classic pre-race jitters and inexperience.  And it all started so well...  Good thing about the short races, it's easier to learn from and race more often. So that in a marathon and there's weeks of training down the tubes.

kcam

Classic pre-race jitters and inexperience.  And it all started so well...  Good thing about the short races, it's easier to learn from and race more often. So that in a marathon and there's weeks months of training down the tubes.

THAT is why I like the mile/1500/3000 and even 5000.  Make a mistake early in the race and you learn from it and go out and run it again next week or week after.  You can run them often enough that you'll improve just by learning how to race them, never mind your fitness improving.

Go at it again if you can find one, Kevin - I bet you improve by 20 seconds.

Mbehr - you missed me on the 1500.  I need to be held accountable!

kencamet 6/20  1500  Club 800/1500/3000 Day  Saratoga, CA   5:10
                    kcam

Gotta shoutout to the best June racer of them all .... American Pharoah!  First triple crown winner in 37 years.    I raced this morning, too, but I wasn't tossing my head and pawing the ground rarin' to go like AP was.    I blame my trainer for getting me too sharp.

Race 1: Batavia Sprint Ti

6/6

400m swim, 14.7 mi bike, 4.1 mi run

Goal: <1:08 and Top 3

Figured if I can average 24 mph on the bike and hit 5:40's coming off the bike I have a good shot at that.  I've been putting more emphasis on the bike lately and trying to keep the run mileage around the 40 mpw with some strides in there.  Hopefully that will be enough to keep some of the run speed there.

What an interesting day.  After looking at the radar at 5am and seeing the line of storms just rolling out of Iowa, figured this was going to be interesting.  Was hoping to have gotten the race in before the line of storms hit but they held us off and let things get closer.  They finally gave us the all clear to go around 7:15.  Got through the swim OK and headed out onto the bike.  The rains started about a mile in and didn't let up.  The first half of the race was into the driving winds and rain.  Took the corners easy so I wouldn't wipe out.  Passed two and got passed by three on the bike.  Once we took off on the run, I ran down three guys and just couldn't get one more.  Had my eyes on him the entire way and made up some good ground on him.  He ended up being the 2nd OA guy.  Finished in 1:10:04 for 4OA and 1AG.

Kevin, Ouch!  That looked painful!

Well done on the Tri mbehr - looks very impressive to me.

Getting back on the wagon tomorrow.

6/8

800m & 3000m

Vets League 2nd match

Hillingdon, London

Sub 2:17 & 9:35

I've been back off holiday a week so I'm not expecting to be 100% and 800m is not my distance!

Results were finally posted later last night.  After going through the stats/numbers, here's where I ended up:

Swim: 5:20 (400m) - 117th rank

Bike: 38:51 / 22.7 mph - 11th rank

Run: 23:12 / 5:40/mi - 2nd rank

Some obvious work to do on the swim and I thought I held my own on the bike.  I have a road bike with tri bars thrown on so I'm sure those die hard tri guys on their fancy tri bikes love it when I'm out there.

On another note, the cubs ran another 5k Friday night.  Was very happy and impressed with the work they put in this Spring.  The 8 yo boy put down a 21:17 and the 10 yo girl ran a 23:15.  They were very excited and had a great time out there.

On another note, the cubs ran another 5k Friday night.  Was very happy and impressed with the work they put in this Spring.  The 8 yo boy put down a 21:17 and the 10 yo girl ran a 23:15.  They were very excited and had a great time out there.

Wow. That's awesome!

Just a dude.

Results were finally posted later last night.  After going through the stats/numbers, here's where I ended up:

Swim: 5:20 (400m) - 117th rank

Bike: 38:51 / 22.7 mph - 11th rank

Run: 23:12 / 5:40/mi - 2nd rank

Some obvious work to do on the swim and I thought I held my own on the bike.  I have a road bike with tri bars thrown on so I'm sure those die hard tri guys on their fancy tri bikes love it when I'm out there.

Nice job. Tri stuff is pretty impressive to me. I've only done one, and I got out of the swim so far behind I never saw anyone for the rest of the race.

Great job for the youngens too!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...