3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

The Des Plaines 50-Mile Ultra thread - 10/20/2012 (Read 498 times)

Feeling the growl again

I thought about entitling this thread "Watch Spaniel embarass himself again".  But then I realized that there are already plenty of threads where that happens so it might be too confusing.

Des Plaines Ultra Races

October 20th, 2012

This was my first ultra attempt last year.  I did not train much, went out aggressively, and dropped out at 37 miles after I had some cramping issues that caused my knee to start tracking funny.

This year I am targeting this as a real goal race and am motivated to do well.  Despite my current 2-week injury haitus, I think I am well-positioned to be in great shape by race day.  Between the December/July challenges I have decent mileage in the bank, and due to the August challenge my weight will soon be optimal (I hope!).

C-R and WhoDat were talking about potentially putting a crew together, so I wanted to throw this out there if anyone wants to help them and enjoy FREE BEER (and food) following the race.  Perhaps he can post live updates so you know how far I make it before blowing up.  If you are local and just want to come heckle me from the sidelines that is OK too.

I can't imagine targeting anything slower than 6:00 if I'm not injured, if things go well on this one some bigger plans are knocking around in my head (dang you Dopple Bock).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I have it marked on my calendar. As of now I'm planning on being there. My wife has family in Park Forest which is about an hour away I think, although I'd probably get a hotel room in the area.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

Who me?

Funny I do not see your name on the registration list?

My goal race is 10/14 or this might be fun to jog behing you ~ way behind you.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Who me?

Funny I do not see your name on the registration list?

My goal race is 10/14 or this might be fun to jog behing you ~ way behind you.

I am past the date to save any money by registering so I have not yet.  It's pricey so no need to pony up now, in case I return to running next week and find that my injury will not let me proceed.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

Makes sense ~ I was just looking at the registration list for your competition and thought I would be a smart ass. 

I am past the date to save any money by registering so I have not yet.  It's pricey so no need to pony up now, in case I return to running next week and find that my injury will not let me proceed.

DoppleBock

Plus if I didn't have a race I have been shooting for for almost a year, it would be fun to come chase you around the course.  I would love to give you a little motivation when you start hurting bad ... Damn, if I back off the DB will come shuffling on by.  I am a fast shuffler Smile

I am pretty sure 6:10-6:15 would be in my realm of possibilities.  I would need to weigh 170 and have a great 6 months of training to get into 5:30-5:40 shape.

If the thought is about Mad City ~ I will have to see how it goes.  If I can get into potential 7 hour shape I would give it a shot.  If not I am going to run Boston (5 days before)

C-R

On my calendar as well.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

Boston or Mad City or Both in 5 days?

I will be in Boston either way - My sister made Boston.  Her and her boyfriend, My wife and I are all going for a short vacation.  I will be signing up for Boston, but may or may not run.  If I am in stellar shape I will likely not run and take a crack at Mad City.  If I am in any other shape, I will likely run Boston and not Mad City 

On my calendar as well.

C-R

Boston or Mad City or Both in 5 days?

I will be in Boston either way - My sister made Boston.  Her and her boyfriend, My wife and I are all going for a short vacation.  I will be signing up for Boston, but may or may not run.  If I am in stellar shape I will likely not run and take a crack at Mad City.  If I am in any other shape, I will likely run Boston and not Mad City 

You have me confused with someone else. I'm the old, slow, fat and out of shape guy who A) can't seem to run with any consistency B) eats too much and C) is looking for his running mojo.

I meant, I had it on my list to crew spaniel's 50M

Last month helped get me started. I need to follow up with a decent Aug.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

DoppleBock

Maybe you need a little more variety in your running - Like 50 mile trail races and / or 100k road races ... or a nice 24 hour ince in awhile. 

You have me confused with someone else. I'm the old, slow, fat and out of shape guy who A) can't seem to run with any consistency B) eats too much and C) is looking for his running mojo.

I meant, I had it on my list to crew spaniel's 50M

Last month helped get me started. I need to follow up with a decent Aug.

C-R

Maybe you need a little more variety in your running - Like 50 mile trail races and / or 100k road races ... or a nice 24 hour ince in awhile. 

Funny you mention that as I was eyeballing Hasher Rick's 50M or 100k in NJ.

Feeling the growl again

If the thought is about Mad City ~ I will have to see how it goes. 

Shh.  I can't talk about Mad City in public unless I am well under 6 at Des Plaines.  I'm tired of talking about stuff I haven't proven I can back up.  I want to be a bad ass so I need to do what a bad ass does and nail this one before I run my mouth about 100K.

DoppleBock

Nice 

Funny you mention that as I was eyeballing Hasher Rick's 50M or 100k in NJ.

DoppleBock

I have never run a 100k or tried to run a fast 50 miler ... Like you I will need to have some confidence in doing well to go for it at all.  The more likely thing is I will be running Boston 5 days prior.

'nough said

Shh.  I can't talk about Mad City in public unless I am well under 6 at Des Plaines.  I'm tired of talking about stuff I haven't proven I can back up.  I want to be a bad ass so I need to do what a bad ass does and nail this one before I run my mouth about 100K.

Feeling the growl again

Yesterday was my first race-specific training run.  Given my recent pelvic issues....much better after the time off but still ongoing...I elected to do this on the treadmill so I could simply discontinue if things got bad.

With a plate of PB&J sandwiches (out of gels), koolaid and water, I set out with the goal of a) 30 miles, or b) 4 hours.  Set the speed at 6:58/mile (goal pace).

I'd doubled 12-8 the day before as my goal was to run the race distance in 2 days.  Unfortunately this meant I started with the pelvic soreness already fairly advanced from the prior day.  I stopped at the end of each hour to stretch that out and eat a sandwich.

By ~21 miles I knew I was not going to make 4 hours as the soreness/tightness was getting pretty bad and I did not want to make it into a race and cost myself additional training.    I ended up stepping off at 23 miles due to some TMI chafing issues.  With one more stretch a couple miles out I think 30 would not have been a big deal.  I was starting to get to the point that I was working a bit so I was a bit disappointed I did not get to go far enough to really get the mental training out of the run.

One more lesson learned.  Curiously, as bad as the pelvic stuff was during the run and in the hours after, this morning I feel better than I did before the run.  I could not make time to run today but I am hopeful that I somehow moved the ball forward by pushing myself a bit on that front.  With about a month of training to go I'm hoping to hold 70-80mpw until taper time; I would love to run more but the doubles are what really kicks the pelvic issues into high gear, so I am trying to focus on optimizing what I do in one run per day.