3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

The Des Plaines 50-Mile Ultra thread - 10/20/2012 (Read 498 times)

How will you keep warm once you've eaten your sweatshirt?  Especially if the fibre starts working and you need to stop to let things out...and are you saving a bit of sweatshirt to wipe, or do you have paper or will you use a sock for that...or just cope with the chafe?  Plus, if you have paper for that, then could you have used that for fuel, or is sweatshirt slower burn?

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I did not think I was tweaking at all.  But last night I dreamed that I got to the race and had forgotten all my fuel.  Then I found out that WhotDat was not crewing for me and running it himself instead (WhoDat I must have faith in you, you were gunninng for 7 hours).  It ended with me still running after dark, eating my sweatshirt for fuel.

And I didn't even drink anything last night.

That's a horrible dream. I can't run for 7 hours. What if I had to poop?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

That's a horrible dream. I can't run for 7 hours. What if I had to poop?

Especially since it runs through the woods.  Now that's a nightmare.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Last year you were a virgin, so we cut you some slack.  This year we expect more:

1)  Finish (unless injured) no matter what speed -

2)  Run smart - Ultra's you do not have to cover the rockets going out too fast

3)  Flirt with sub 6 ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Last year you were a virgin, so we cut you some slack.  This year we expect more:

3)  Flirt with sub 6 ...

1) Unless I truly break something, done.

2) I will try.  Last year I was averaging ~6:53 through halfway, cramped up when I stopped at the turnaround, and that was that.  This year I am in far better shape, have actually done a decent amount of event specific training, have a crew so I can avoid stopping...so I am forcing myself to stick to 7:00 pace through halfway before I even think of going any faster....NO EXCEPTIONS...this is already 5:50 pace, if I could finish in that I would need to be ECSTATIC with the result.  I think that's at least half smart...yet still a bit aggressive, as it should be.

3) Damn well going to try.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Just for shits and giggles I mapped the course here on RA and marked the aid stations as best I could.

DPR Trail 50 Mile Ultra Map

If you really want to be nerdy you can export the GPX data and then import it into My Places on Google Maps and it will mark the Aid Stations.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

3)  Flirt with sub 6 ...

Ditto this!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

So I hear Oswaldo Lopez is doing the 50M.  He has beat Zach G twice at Badwater 135, so something to consider if you are going for the win.  I don't think he is going to get into a duel early on based on how he has run Badwater (of course this is from Twitter updates during the races).  

Either way, I anticipate you kicking some ass out there!

Feeling the growl again

So I hear Oswaldo Lopez is doing the 50M.  He has beat Zach G twice at Badwater 135, so something to consider if you are going for the win.  I don't think he is going to get into a duel early on based on how he has run Badwater (of course this is from Twitter updates during the races).  

Either way, I anticipate you kicking some ass out there!

Well he can duke it out with Todd Braje and they won't have to worry about little ole' me.  I am under no illusion that I am in the same class.  Let me prove I can run sub-6, and then if I can lose a bit of weight and get my mileage average to 80-90 over the winter I will scare some people in the spring.  I just haven't done the homework to be that stupid this time around.

DoppleBock

A 50 Mile is not a Marathon or a 50k ~ Do your thing, if your thing puts you close to  Lopez or Braje, then roll with them ... if not let them go.  It's better to let a couple of people race each other for 30-40 miles while you cruise and then take a shot at them the last 10 ... You will have fight left,they will not.

Braje is a hard charging fast runner ~ But we have no idea what his purpose for this race is?  Could be to win, could be to try and run the fastest 50 miles in 2012 ~ Going for the fastest 50 miler could = a big blow up.

Lopez ~ I have not noticed his time on flat fast 50 mile courses?

Either way - I agree that Spaniel needs to lay down a good race for his current fitness to gain experience ... 6 hours for 50 is @ 7:27 for 100k.  I think if you can get to 6 hours with a little better training - Right weight we can get you to a 7 hour 100k.

For me ideally you would run near 7:00s for 35 miles and then see what you could do in the last 15. 

The 100k minimum qualifying is 7 hours 20 minutes, but realistically you want to be < 7:15 ~ 7:00 minute miles ~ 7:00 = 5:50 for the 50 mile.

I chat talk to Braje and Lopez pre-race, but do not give up your "Unknown" and "Not a Threat" status.  You are just a guy that DNF'd last year trying to finish your 1st 50 miler

Well he can duke it out with Todd Braje and they won't have to worry about little ole' me.  I am under no illusion that I am in the same class.  Let me prove I can run sub-6, and then if I can lose a bit of weight and get my mileage average to 80-90 over the winter I will scare some people in the spring.  I just haven't done the homework to be that stupid this time around.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The King of Beasts

3)  Flirt with sub 6 ...

all this

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Feeling the growl again

A 50 Mile is not a Marathon or a 50k ~ Do your thing, if your thing puts you close to  Lopez or Braje, then roll with them ... if not let them go.  It's better to let a couple of people race each other for 30-40 miles while you cruise and then take a shot at them the last 10 ... You will have fight left,they will not.

Braje is a hard charging fast runner ~ But we have no idea what his purpose for this race is?  Could be to win, could be to try and run the fastest 50 miles in 2012 ~ Going for the fastest 50 miler could = a big blow up.

Lopez ~ I have not noticed his time on flat fast 50 mile courses?

Either way - I agree that Spaniel needs to lay down a good race for his current fitness to gain experience ... 6 hours for 50 is @ 7:27 for 100k.  I think if you can get to 6 hours with a little better training - Right weight we can get you to a 7 hour 100k.

For me ideally you would run near 7:00s for 35 miles and then see what you could do in the last 15. 

The 100k minimum qualifying is 7 hours 20 minutes, but realistically you want to be < 7:15 ~ 7:00 minute miles ~ 7:00 = 5:50 for the 50 mile.

I chat talk to Braje and Lopez pre-race, but do not give up your "Unknown" and "Not a Threat" status.  You are just a guy that DNF'd last year trying to finish your 1st 50 miler

All very good thoughts.  Thanks.  And I have no qualms about kicking someone when they are down by blowing past them in the closing miles if they mess up.  Smile

Now I need to focus on running my best race for current fitness, as if I royally mess or...gasp...DNF again...I will deserve what the Hurtlocker can dish out, period.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

All I can say is good luck with it!  And I like what DB said:  

I chat talk to Braje and Lopez pre-race, but do not give up your "Unknown" and "Not a Threat" status. 

You are just a guy that DNF'd last year trying to finish your 1st 50 miler"  

steph  

Weather is looking decent for this weekend.  Partly cloudy with a low in low-40's and high in the mid-50's.  There's suppose to be rain around here on Friday, so hopefully that will be long gone and won't impact the course.  To what DB said, we do expect you to finish.  Stick to your plan, run smart and let's see that sub-6!  Best of luck to you.

Feeling the growl again

Weather is looking decent for this weekend.  Partly cloudy with a low in low-40's and high in the mid-50's.  There's suppose to be rain around here on Friday, so hopefully that will be long gone and won't impact the course.  To what DB said, we do expect you to finish.  Stick to your plan, run smart and let's see that sub-6!  Best of luck to you.

The weather does not look to be giving any excuses, for me this looks pretty ideal.  Likely a short sleeve under my singlet and I did order some arm warmers for the first part of the race.  I've raced marathons at 40 degrees with just a singlet but that's moving >1min/mile faster and generating more warmth.