3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

The Des Plaines 50-Mile Ultra thread - 10/20/2012 (Read 498 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Spaniel's progress. Aid Station 5, about 15 miles, 1:37.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

Spaniel's progress. Aid Station 5, about 15 miles, 1:37.

That projects to under 5:30.  Go spaniel!

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Turn around, 26 miles, 3:00

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Ostrich runner

Everything holding together? Sounds strong so far.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

We have great running conditions out here this morning. Mid-30's at the start, 52 right now and no wind. Sounds like he's taking advantage of that and putting out a strong effort. Go Spaniel! Keep it up!
            C-R

Turn around, 26 miles, 3:00

DAMN! Keep it Rollin spaniel

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANDY!!!!!  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ostrich runner

Hello

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Hello Hello?

GO ANDY?

And any more updates?  Anyone?

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Yeah. So I am an idiot, we'll get that out of the way. I forgot to turn on my gps until 90sec before the start so it did not synch. In fact the last time I used it was in Austria so it was FUBAR until 23 miles. So I went out sub 6:50 the first couple miles until someone told me and idled back. Started using the marathon mile markers, ok accuracy, to stay in the 6:50 to 7:00 range. Then when the marathon turned around there were no mile markers! The trail has some but for whatever reason I kept missing them. Somehow I must have been feeling great and started running way too fast even though I was careful not to increase the effort. Then the gps started working and I realized I was way too fast and forced myself onto 7:12s. Not sure WhoDat saw the oh shit look I gave him when he said I was at 3 flat at the turnaround 27ish miles...5:42iah pace... had restarted the gps several times so I had no cumulative time prior to that. I worked through some hip and stomach issues but was running pretty comfortably at 7:20s from there on. Figured no problem. Then I started up an incline and something tweaked in my back ( I injured it last weekend but thought it was ok). Instantly I was walking and that was it. Tried to run again but in the end, for several miles, it was all I could do to keep walking and not lie down. This was about 32-33 miles, flatfooter finally came back and found me about 38 and called WhoDat to bring the car closer. To rub salt in the wound I was in 3rd at the turnaround. Braje was like sub5:30 pace and dropped at half. The entire front group blew up and the top three finishers were 6:17 to 6:18. So have at it but nobody is as pissed as me. I should know how to work a gps and i should know pacing better without it. This race has become my white whale and next time I will be back with a bigger boat. It took me 4 races to really learn the marathon but I think I have taken my lumps on this distance now and look forward to nailing the next one. No 100k yet.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Yeah. So I am an idiot, we'll get that out of the way. I forgot to turn on my gps until 90sec before the start so it did not synch. In fact the last time I used it was in Austria so it was FUBAR until 23 miles. So I went out sub 6:50 the first couple miles until someone told me and idled back. Started using the marathon mile markers, ok accuracy, to stay in the 6:50 to 7:00 range. Then when the marathon turned around there were no mile markers! The trail has some but for whatever reason I kept missing them. Somehow I must have been feeling great and started running way too fast even though I was careful not to increase the effort. Then the gps started working and I realized I was way too fast and forced myself onto 7:12s. Not sure WhoDat saw the oh shit look I gave him when he said I was at 3 flat at the turnaround 27ish miles...5:42iah pace... had restarted the gps several times so I had no cumulative time prior to that. I worked through some hip and stomach issues but was running pretty comfortably at 7:20s from there on. Figured no problem. Then I started up an incline and something tweaked in my back ( I injured it last weekend but thought it was ok). Instantly I was walking and that was it. Tried to run again but in the end, for several miles, it was all I could do to keep walking and not lie down. This was about 32-33 miles, flatfooter finally came back and found me about 38 and called WhoDat to bring the car closer. To rub salt in the wound I was in 3rd at the turnaround. Braje was like sub5:30 pace and dropped at half. The entire front group blew up and the top three finishers were 6:17 to 6:18. So have at it but nobody is as pissed as me. I should know how to work a gps and i should know pacing better without it. This race has become my white whale and next time I will be back with a bigger boat. It took me 4 races to really learn the marathon but I think I have taken my lumps on this distance now and look forward to nailing the next one. No 100k yet.

So what happpened Andy?

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

So what happpened Andy?

Smartass. Careful, I have your beer. Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

Smartass. Careful, I have your beer. Wink

I'm old and have a hard time with unbroken paragraphs.  Sorry about that.

And ... {#RAEmoticonsDlg.wink}

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I'm old and have a hard time with unbroken paragraphs.  Sorry about that.

And ... {#RAEmoticonsDlg.wink}

Sorry. I am still in Chicago and limited to my iPad. According to WhoDat you can blame Eric Smile for no enabling some IT whiz bang.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh!  I am sorry, spaniel!  Back problems are a bitch plain and simple.  Next time....

steph