3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

The Des Plaines 50-Mile Ultra thread - 10/20/2012 (Read 498 times)

Sorry. I am still in Chicago and limited to my iPad. According to WhoDat you can blame Eric Smile for no enabling some IT whiz bang.

</p> and <p> are your friend on your iPad / iPhone.

hadn't used that combination of characters since the 1990s.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Prince of Fatness

That projects to under 5:30.  Go spaniel!

So I guess that this wasn't on purpose.  Too bad about the back.  Hopefully the recovery won't be bad and you will be able to get right back at it.

Not at it at all. 

Damn.  Sorry to hear this Andy.  I hope the back heals up fast.  Sounds like lots of lessons learned (or at least reminded of).  Take care and don't be too hard on yourself.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Before I forget -- big thanks to WhoDat and flatfooter for the outstanding crewing. WhoDat drove all the way there from Indy just to crew and even went out and pre-scouted all the locations the night before. I could not have asked for better help.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Sorry I couldn't post more frequent updates. I didn't have nearly as much time between stops as I thought I would. Even though I drove to the area where each stop was located I still had a little trouble finding the aid stations and getting into position.

I think I gained some good experience from this. I feel like maybe I could have done a better job of letting Spaniel know he was going faster than planned. I was watching the time to gauge when he should be showing up at each stop and knew he was going faster than goal pace.

Spaniel was very generous with compensation for something I was happy to do. I felt a bit guilty when I got home and realized just how much beer I brought home.

Even though the results were not what we were hoping for, I had a great time and would gladly do it again. It was also great to meet Flatfooter and PaulyGram. Extra thanks to Flatfooter for going to look for Spaniel when he didn't show up when expected for his stop.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Ostrich runner

You'll be back. And CR just volunteered for loving the hills too.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

A couple of pics.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

I felt a bit guilty when I got home and realized just how much beer I brought home.

Dude, you earned every bottle.  Besides, I just had to re-organize my entire pantry to fit in my share of the loot.  Big grin

Beef will have to tell me what the Indiana 100 (I'd be running the 50) course is like.  I may need to make a recon trip up to eyeball the trail.  I am very tempted to do that one because a) it is local, and b) I can finally get a finish in a 50 and be more confident in re-doing this race next year to both finish and run a fast time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

I haven't been on the IN 50/100 course specifically, but I know it's supposed to be fast. It's essentially the same trail as the new Huff course, but made easier. I know I'm going on a vacation sometime in April, but I'm not sure which week yet. My availability for the race is going to depend entirely on my wife's schedule. That said, I'm hoping to either do my first 50 this April there, or find a cool one elsewhere. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

DoppleBock

Live and Learn.  I was lucky in my 1st 50 miler.  I ran with a friend and went the pace he set for the 1st 35 miles.  When he slowed a bit, I pushed on at a similar pace and it turned out to be about the right pace for me for the 50 mile that day.

I think one a person understands what a pace is suppose to feel like ... 5k, marathon, 50 mile or 24 hour pace.  They have a better chance at success.  But it takes a little trial and error to understand how that pace "Feels".

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Of course many people - Just run one to experince it 1st and then try to run a really good one.  I think that is abit easier on the hilly, technical trail than the fast 50 course.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Of course many people - Just run one to experince it 1st and then try to run a really good one.  

Yeah.  I admit trying to mix the two.  Though the degree to which I did it this year was not intentional.  Hence a more reserved spring effort in the works.

Hawt and sexy

I was gone all of yesterday and missed this.

Andypants, I love you, you idiot. Hugs.

I'm touching your pants.

Yeah. So I am an idiot, we'll get that out of the way. I forgot to turn on my gps until 90sec before the start so it did not synch. In fact the last time I used it was in Austria so it was FUBAR until 23 miles. So I went out sub 6:50 the first couple miles until someone told me and idled back. Started using the marathon mile markers, ok accuracy, to stay in the 6:50 to 7:00 range. Then when the marathon turned around there were no mile markers! The trail has some but for whatever reason I kept missing them. Somehow I must have been feeling great and started running way too fast even though I was careful not to increase the effort.

That's the hard part when your natural "easy" pace is sub-7.  Sorry to hear about the DNF.  Aside from the back issue, how were the legs feeling through 32?  You definitely had good weather for the morning.  Appreciated the few updates from WhoDat but after the time kept passing following the last update, bad thoughts settled in.

Oh, and I feel sorry for who ever will be toeing the line with you at the next one....

Feeling the growl again

That's the hard part when your natural "easy" pace is sub-7.  Sorry to hear about the DNF.  Aside from the back issue, how were the legs feeling through 32? 

Last year, it was my legs cramping and locking up which did me in.  I was at least 4-5min fast through halfway than last year with no such issues.  Yes, they were starting to hurt.  My hip had locked up twice on me (somewhere north of 20 miles) but I was able to work it loose both times and resume my prior pace without stopping.  Once I had slowed to 7:20s, I was actually pretty happy with how I felt.  Right up until the second I wasn't. 

Of course I can't say for sure, but I think my legs would have been fine until at least 40 and then I don't pretend I can speculate past that.  As it turned out I would have either caught the leaders or had them in sight by then had I held my pace....that certainly would have added a mental complexity to any ongoing physical pains.  Smile

I think my plan is to a) start regular back exercises, and b) start running at least one 4-hour run once per month.  This on top of trying to get back to real high mileage after a few weeks of recover/reboot.