3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

My goal this week is to hurt every day.   I want to run enough volume and workouts that I wake up sore every day and need to cringe my way into every run.  I am going to follow the 200% rule religiously.  My body will adapt rapidly or break.  If I read one more post about needing to fully recover before every run I am going to puke.

Discuss.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My goal this week is to hurt every day.   I want to run enough volume and workouts that I wake up sore every day and need to cringe my way into every run.  I am going to follow the 200% rule religiously.  My body will adapt rapidly or break.  If I read one more post about needing to fully recover before every run I am going to puke.

Discuss.

Agreed. In order for your body to get stronger and more efficient, you need to stress it by working it harder then is comfortable.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Discuss.

How long can you keep that up, though?  Biofeedback's a beotch. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The King of Beasts

you will be able to find sympathy in the dictionary between shit and syphilis. you will not find it around here.

Get after it friend ! blaze a road straight to hell

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Queen of 3rd Place

Well that just sounds too fun! Well, to watch, maybe.

Ex runner

Feeling the growl again

How long can you keep that up, though?  Biofeedback's a beotch. 

From experience, 3-5 months.  I am more worried about my lack of ability to make time to break myself, than my body's ability not to break.

Sympathy is for the open forums.  I do things like this because I am hardwired to be a competitive, over-acheiving SOB who enjoys the process in a demented sort of way.  Sympathize with the people too soft to challenge themselves.  Sympathize with those who will never know the feeling of acheiving something personally great on the road, track or trails.  Don't sympathize for me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

The King of Beasts

i know you were not looking for sympathy, just trying to fire you up.

this is gonna be good

I need a few more weeks of fun and easy. I held focus from Jan-Aug this year, and I want to do it again next year. probably start hurting about mid December. but for now- Easy.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Seanv2

Sympathy is for the open forums.  I do things like this because I am hardwired to be a competitive, over-acheiving SOB who enjoys the process in a demented sort of way.  Sympathize with the people too soft to challenge themselves.  Sympathize with those who will never know the feeling of acheiving something personally great on the road, track or trails.  Don't sympathize for me.

I love this. I feel pretty much recovered from my marathon and I am ready to take it up a notch.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

i know you were not looking for sympathy, just trying to fire you up.

this is gonna be good

I need a few more weeks of fun and easy. I held focus from Jan-Aug this year, and I want to do it again next year. probably start hurting about mid December. but for now- Easy.

I got you, no worries.

My goal is Boston.  I'm running out of chances to replace a PR set in a crappy race with one run well.  I accepted after this year that I will never again run well in the fall as I can't train well in the summer anymore.  So spring is all I have, I might as well start now.  4 months and a taper.

C-R

Hell yeah!

Follow-up question - are you building aerobic base via the volume? By this I would look at my runs where I can go comfortable at 8 mpm for say 15 without it becoming a workout. Rinse, and repeat?  This is where the periodization issue gets a bit muddy for me. As I understand, you should build base, then strength, then sharpen with speed.

I think I run too slow in my training.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Hell yeah!

Follow-up question - are you building aerobic base via the volume? By this I would look at my runs where I can go comfortable at 8 mpm for say 15 without it becoming a workout. Rinse, and repeat?  This is where the periodization issue gets a bit muddy for me. As I understand, you should build base, then strength, then sharpen with speed.

I think I run too slow in my training.

At any decent pace 15 miles will not be an easy run.  IMHO anything over 12 miles should never be considered to have recovery value...if it is you are running too slow.

I am not a strict periodizer.  It never worked that great for me.  What works is to keep changing and escalating things so I keep hurting myself in new and creative ways so that I continue to adapt.  I can ramp from 40 to 100 mpw ok if I find time, with workouts, if I get enough sleep so I don't do a base-building period per se.  Right now I am going to try and get up to hammer as much volume and frequency as I can while also doing more tempo and fartlek type stuff.  No true speedwork yet.  In a few weeks when I am acclimated to the volume, I will start going a day of intervals once per week.

So basically...

December -- build as much volume as possible; tempos/fartleks, 16 mile long runs faster each week adding in increasing quality'

January -- hold volume; add in a day per week of intervals; high quality 16 mile long runs

February -- hold or build volume; continue intervals; start lengthening long runs; start racing

March -- at least 2 good races, 20+ milers with quality the other 2 weekends; hold volume or back to January level

April -- taper and kick ass in Beantown

I'm not recommending this is better than any other mousetrap but it works for me.  Remember I have no true speed so I get no use from focusing on that, it simply is not trainable in me.  I've worn my HRM during races of 1 mile to 10K and I hit the same max HR at all distances...this simply limits be from being faster at anything under 10K, no matter the distance the same "marathon" training produces best results for ME.

Don't worry, I am going to hurt you too C-R.  That is built into the plan.  I cannot afford to substitute long runs with you for what I have planned; these types of workouts are best done solo.  So the day of the weekend I run with you will be considered an easy day, and even if we do 16-18 miles I will hammer my own workout the day before or after.  This will be a new stimulus for me (32-40 miles in a weekend) so it should be interesting.

Interesting stuff, spaniel. What's a typical fartlek-type run for you?

I've been working in this "3:00 on, 1:30 off" thing to see what it does for me.  Not sure if it's considered a fartlek or interval type run. I know the label doesn't matter. But I'm interested to know for context's sake. 

C-R

Don't worry, I am going to hurt you too C-R.  That is built into the plan. 

Oh shit. Shocked

That was helpful. I'm just getting the feeling I should push the boundaries a little more. Right now running closer to 9 mpm but it doesn't stress the system. Most of the time my HR doesn't even get over 135. So I'm thinking I need my aerobic workouts more like 8 mpm with a 8-9 mile range and two long runs during the week 10+ until I get past this ultra in Dec. Is that enough to help spur some adaptation or do I need to run this by feel?

I'm no pud, but I do worry about injury since I did this once before and it took me off for several months (achilles). Perhaps I am being over cautious as this was also prior to me hitting 2400+ per year (stop laughing you pricks - its a lot for an old guy).

I want that sub 3 and I really want that sub 1:20. Don't mind hurting. Not really sure how to hurt the correct way.

Someone once said every workout needs a purpose that links back to a trianing objective. I have the end result in mind and need to build the foundation so I can have a solid house.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The King of Beasts

Nader- for me, if its a timed thing its a fartlek. if its a set distance its an interval.

(most of the time.)

That makes sense, A1.