3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Slo

Times up.

This has been a crappy training season for my upcoming Green Bay Marathon on May 20th. After a couple of minor set backs I let my focus on my goal slip away and fell into a slump. Satisfied with blowing off workouts, making excuses and living like a hobby jogger.

My goal my be out of reach for this marathon but that doesn't mean I can't find another. This has to be my last pitiful sub 60 mile week. The target for the next 6 weeks is 70+...Knock out Green Bay...reset, retool and nail that sub 3:18.

HOOYAY !

Feeling the growl again

Times up.

This has been a crappy training season for my upcoming Green Bay Marathon on May 20th. After a couple of minor set backs I let my focus on my goal slip away and fell into a slump. Satisfied with blowing off workouts, making excuses and living like a hobby jogger.

My goal my be out of reach for this marathon but that doesn't mean I can't find another. This has to be my last pitiful sub 60 mile week. The target for the next 6 weeks is 70+...Knock out Green Bay...reset, retool and nail that sub 3:18.

HOOYAY !

With the right mindset, you can do a lot in 6 weeks.  I half-assed my way through the summer of 2002, then did 6 very intense weeks and took 7 minutes off my marathon PR.  You may not PR but you can throw down a darn solid effort.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slo

Promising run this morning. Longest run of the training cycle: 17.3 miles @ 8:07 pace. The majority of the miles were right at 8 mins. Felt good, felt like I was on cruise control. This is following yesterdays run of 8 miles a tad slower pace. (8:12)

Tomorrow I'm doing a 4 mile race. This could actually hurt a little bit. I'm honestly looking forward to it.

Promising run this morning. Longest run of the training cycle: 17.3 miles @ 8:07 pace. The majority of the miles were right at 8 mins. Felt good, felt like I was on cruise control. This is following yesterdays run of 8 miles a tad slower pace. (8:12)

Tomorrow I'm doing a 4 mile race. This could actually hurt a little bit. I'm honestly looking forward to it.

Go getum Slo

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Kalsarikännit

Maybe it is the fact that I am slow as hell right now, but I found a treadmill workout that makes me really hurt just looking at it.  It is from Team USA- Minnesota:

15 min @ HM pace, 10 min @ 15k pace, 10 min @10k pace, 5 min @ 5k pace with 5 minute recoveries between each.  

My goal is to be able to do this.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

Maybe it is the fact that I am slow as hell right now, but I found a treadmill workout that makes me really hurt just looking at it.  It is from Team USA- Minnesota:

15 min @ HM pace, 10 min @ 15k pace, 10 min @10k pace, 5 min @ 5k pace with 5 minute recoveries between each.  

That sounds like the kind of workout that doesn't start out so bad, but the last two intervals are a kick in the junk.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Dammit. Now I'm gonna have to try this. You are a bad influence.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Prince of Fatness

M15 min @ HM pace, 10 min @ 15k pace, 10 min @10k pace, 5 min @ 5k pace with 5 minute recoveries between each. 

I did something similar a couple of years ago when I was a semi real runner.  20 min HM, 3 min jog, 10 min 10K, 2 min jog. 5 min 5K, 1 min jog, 2 min sub 5K.  It's a tough workout but I got through it and when finished I knew that I was in good shape.  I ran a couple of PR's within a month after doing it.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Dammit. Now I'm gonna have to try this. You are a bad influence.

We've given you 12 hours.  Have you done it yet?

I'm probably the worst judge of what would be hard or not.  Hell, that 5 minutes at 5k pace alone sounds like an ass buster to me right now.  Of course it probably doesn't help that I am going off of two year old PRs as training paces.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I will be spectating Green Bay - Maybe I will see you at the start. 

Times up.

HOOYAY !

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I think I need to race and/or generally rip myself up more in training.  In general my legs have felt heavy and lacking pop more often than not...for months.  After Saturday's HM....aside from the residual soreness from the silly incident...all of a sudden I have my old legs back.  They're chomping at the bit and want to go.  It is hard to describe but rather than each stride feeling like a slow pull the the range of contraction, it's a quick snap of efficient effort then a glide into the next.

I'm trying to keep them caged for a couple days' recovery but after that some poor unassuming workout is going to take a hurting.

Slo

I will be spectating Green Bay - Maybe I will see you at the start. 

3rd straight year for Green Bay. Love the town, great course...well organized.

Beer, brats and live music at Lambeau...What else could you want?

I think I need to race and/or generally rip myself up more in training.  In general my legs have felt heavy and lacking pop more often than not...for months.  After Saturday's HM....aside from the residual soreness from the silly incident...all of a sudden I have my old legs back.  They're chomping at the bit and want to go.  It is hard to describe but rather than each stride feeling like a slow pull the the range of contraction, it's a quick snap of efficient effort then a glide into the next.

I'm trying to keep them caged for a couple days' recovery but after that some poor unassuming workout is going to take a hurting.

How is the wrist and the other stuff?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

We've given you 12 hours.  Have you done it yet? 

Heh, nope, today is lazy ass recovery run day, but it is gonna gnaw at my brain until I try it.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

How is the wrist and the other stuff?

The hip is OK, muscle soreness gone, just road rash pain now.  The knee still has a sore spot that concerns me somewhat as it got worse after running today, but I think it will be OK.  So running-wise, I've only had to down-grade my 16-miler planned Sunday to 10 miles but otherwise have gotten back on track.

The wrist is the real issue.  It will handle only very limited activity and any activity that pulls on the thumb is a no-go.  I have a difficult time picking up my little boy which, mentally, is the worst part.  Work was VERY frustrating today, which was why (when combined with the lack of concern from the RD) I am now reconsidering assault charges.

All because I did not move right to clear a path for someone behind me (which I had no obligation to do under any rules out there) who could have just passed on the right.