3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

SUCCESS.

It has been years since I passed blood after a run.

And I have a double for 22 miles planned tomorrow and 20 the day after that.  This will be great.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Oh yeah. Now we're talking.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

Ouch. Only done that a couple times. First time didn't hurt, second time when chunks of bladder came out hurt pretty bad.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Ouch. Only done that a couple times. First time didn't hurt, second time when chunks of bladder came out hurt pretty bad.

Now THAT is hardcore.  Damn dude.  Sure that wasn't just clots?

Not that bad this time.  A few hours of discomfort, it was my fault for getting dehydrated -- that is always the root cause.  Drank a gallon of water then some rum+cokes to get things flowing well.  All is good.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Yeah, that's not good Beef.  Can't say I've ever had it that bad.  I'm looking forward to piecing things back together so that I can make it hurt!

Ostrich runner

Now THAT is hardcore.  Damn dude.  Sure that wasn't just clots?

Not that bad this time.  A few hours of discomfort, it was my fault for getting dehydrated -- that is always the root cause.  Drank a gallon of water then some rum+cokes to get things flowing well.  All is good.

Pretty sure that is what it was--little spongy looking bits.  I started a thread afterwards where I got lectured about internet diagnoses...oh well, I have better luck with internet than docs.

Here it is.

Feeling the growl again

Pretty sure that is what it was--little spongy looking bits.  I started a thread afterwards where I got lectured about internet diagnoses...oh well, I have better luck with internet than docs.

Here it is.

Dear Lord.

If I headed to the doctor every time my farts smelled funny I'd be in the poorhouse.

If it's cancer or something like that it's unlikely to be sudden onset from running and equally as unlikely to clear up in 24-48 hrs.

C-R

I hate to drive this discussion away from noxious farts but it seems the messages is finally getting through to the legs. They are now in a sore zone. I guess that speed workout on Monday did the trick. I recall this from the soccer days when we showed at the pitch a bit leg weary from the previous training. So I plan to take a long lunch and run 2 hours on them just to teach 'em a lesson. If things go correctly, I should get a breakthrough by Sunday.

MTA - didn't make the 2 hour mark but ran faster than planned. Now my ass is sore. WTF?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Wow, you guys are really flogging yourselves.  So, basically my plan to get and stay at 60mpw, sprinkled with some moderate running, is not ideal. I don't like wasting time.  Am I? I am running a half marathon or marathon, God willing, on 5/2.  Critiques of my recent training?  How might I change things up? 

mta: I would consider going above 240 mile months, maybe to 280-300.  But, that's just talk and I don't like to talk about stuff I'm not actually doing.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Wow, you guys are really flogging yourselves.  So, basically my plan to get and stay at 60mpw, sprinkled with some moderate running, is not ideal. I don't like wasting time.  Am I? I am running a half marathon or marathon, God willing, on 5/2.  Critiques of my recent training?  How might I change things up? 

mta: I would consider going above 240 mile months, maybe to 280-300.  But, that's just talk and I don't like to talk about stuff I'm not actually doing.

I 30sec look at your log reveals decent mileage interspersed with a reasonable amount of moderate running and intervals.  All I would ask is how often you work in true tempo work?  Compared to a log of logs I look at, this appears pretty good.  If you can add a few miles, even better.

Flogging for the sake of flogging is not necessarily good.  But in my case I know from experience what insults my body will respond to positively and improve.  Since I am not going places I have not been before, I can be more aggressive.

Speaking of aggressive, I should have stopped at 8 miles this morning when everything was going well.  By 12 miles I was making cherry koolaid in the toilet again.

Thanks for having a look and for your insights. 

As for true tempo work, hmmm, not so much. What I have been doing is, once a week, run a small sliver of one of my runs at ~10k pace (6:40). The idea is to extend it by a minute or so every week (as I build my mileage, and, hopefully drop some excess weight).  

I think this is a good idea, but I don't know if it constitutes good and effective tempo work.  I do wonder why I struggled to hold 6:40 for more than 10 minutes last night.

Sorry about your  bowel issues; hope you get it settled.   

MrH

Pete Magill, who granted is 5k focused, does one session per week of 2 x 15 min tempos at 10k-HM effort sessions or 5 x 5mins @ 5k effort, both with 3mins jog recovery. The latter would be built up to over a series of sessions, say starting at 5x3, then 4x4, then 5x4, 4x5, etc.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Hey thanks, Mr. H. 

By the way, I did 5 x 3:00 w 1:30 a few times last month.  I saw some improvement from workout to workout.  

mta: You reminded me that it's 10k-HM pace, not necessarily 10k pace.  Of course, tempo is really more about a feel or, as Jeff has stated in his blog:

The discipline that tempo runs train into us is not to give more effort than is necessary. Often, strangely, trying to run fast gets in the way of running fast. So, when the effort begins to spin up out of comfortably hard, the first thing the experienced runner checks is his relaxation. Am I wasting effort? Am I pushing when I could be rolling? Are my arms tight? Did I forget to relax after the last hill? The tempo run is practice making fast easy--convincing the body and the mind not to be frightened of fast paces, and not to convert that fear into wasted energy, exaggerated effort. 

Seanv2

I've got a stupid question about tempo runs - how do you actually figure the pace? Am I the only person out ther without a Garmin? Do you garminless folks just pick a landmark on your run to start your watch and go from there?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Ostrich runner

Hey Spaniel, I bet you can't piss blood 4 days in a row.