3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

MrH

The goal after all is to run relaxed and fast.

Doing that by checking your watch frequently and changing your effort as a result seems an inferior approach to considering "can I sustain this effort for x minutes".

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

C-R

The term "relaxed" always gave me some trouble. I tend to think of it more as "under control" and fast. That point where you can maintain your form, breathing and wits while still pushing the pace.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The King of Beasts

maybe not so much Pushing the pace, try thinking of Holding the pace with as little "effort" as you can.

rolling

(what do I know)

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

C-R

Holding - fair nuff. Offense vs. defense eh?

and based on your times/miles/etc., you're likely to know more than me.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

The King of Beasts

Offense, always.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

C-R

I didn't think you a Peyont Manning fan. Go figure.

Three good workouts in four days this week. Legs are sore. Next step go HM distance tomorrow and follow that up with a serious long run on Sat as my personal Christmas present. I feel a plateau or perhaps the edge of a precipice.

Thanks for the insights, peeps.  

Today I dropped back to 10k-HM pace.  Will tuck your thoughts into my head for next time. 

Fact is, I'm trying to drop weight and build up a base, so the "faster" stuff is not so easy to nail right now.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Three good workouts in four days this week. Legs are sore. 

Heh.  My bad.  You'd primed for an off week though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Offense, always.

I never figured throat-punching as a defensive move. Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Heh.  My bad.  You'd primed for an off week though.

No worries. It's a good sore. The kind that says you are getting stronger.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Getting tired of my upper legs and groin being sore every time I go run. But not quite enough to take a break yet.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

jpdeaux

Today hurt. I had vague designs on hitting 2100 miles and 300 hours for the year. That would be two more 11 mile days in a row. I did 11 last night with the middle 5 as 5x1 mile@MP-30s, so I went into today pretty beaten up. Ended up doing 12 today, with big positive splits. So I need 10 tomorrow for 2100 and will go over 300 hours around mile 4 of that. Stupid secondary and tertiary goals.

And last night's workout was from 8-9:30 pm then I ran today at 12:30 pm. So there were multiple reasons besides pure miles for me to be tired. But it does hurt good.

Plus, the added stress of waiting to be hit by cars, oil trucks and plow blades because there were no sidewalks made for even more white-knuckle excitement.

Feeling the growl again

I was feeling pretty good through last night, on pace for around 110 miles this week with only 4 days to go.  I was not feeling great but struggled through a low carb-induced bonked workout in the morning then redeemed myself with a nice tempo run in the afternoon.  Then after dinner I really did not feel well, some sort of stomach thing.

This morning my stomach was ok but I did not feel well overall, so I kept it slow.  By after lunch it was obvious I have some stomach bug, I suffered through a slow, uncomfortable and abbreviated run tonight to keep hope alive.  Now I'm horizontal on the couch and I don't know if I will be standing up a lot, much less running, for the next day or two until this passes.

Oh, and the last two weeks of miles has continued to worsen my sore heel issue.  I can't walk on it for 5-10 minutes when I wake up until it loosens.

Looking forward to a recovery week...

Feeling the growl again

Finally hurt myself enough to need a couple days off.  On Saturday I shrugged off the sore heel and ran a nice double, but when I woke up Sunday I could barely put weight on my left heel.  I tried to run a little on it but it was not practical anymore.

I don't know what the heck this is.  If I roll my weight around on the heel it does not hurt right under the center but does long both sides on the bottom of the heel.  I'm thinking PF right at the connection point under the heel or it's the root of the Achilles.  It does hurt more when I am running fast and push off my toes, when the calf is putting force through the heel.

It took until today to completely stop hurting.  I ran a very nice tempo on a treadmill and I can feel it now....but it is not painful.  I am hoping I let it rest enough to heal while I keep running on it.  No flats for a couple weeks.

C-R

Pretty sure I hurt myself. Friggin hammy and groin.