Today I ran 7 miles as follows:

1 mi w/u (8:40)

1 mi fast (7:09)

1 mi recovery jog (~9:20)

1 mi fast (6:46)

1 mi recovery jog (~9:10)

1 mi fast (7:06)

1 mi c/d (~9:00)

I have a 5k on Saturday.  My 5k pr is 21:45, but I don't think I'm there right now.  Would going out at a 7:00 pace be too aggressive?  Or in other words... what would be a realistic pace to shoot for?

Thanks for your help!

Ostrich runner

How did you feel on your recovery miles? You have a 5k at about that pace as part of the workout above. What feels like it will give first at the end of a fast mile? You have the legs if you have the lungs. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Recovery miles felt good.  At the end of the fastest mile, I needed to slow down because I had started feeling the gut burning just before throwing up feeling.  Last fast mile I felt more in my legs, but I think that may be partially because I did a 50 mile bike ride on the trainer last night. 

How did you feel on your recovery miles? You have a 5k at about that pace as part of the workout above. What feels like it will give first at the end of a fast mile? You have the legs if you have the lungs. 

Ostrich runner

7 pace or a couple seconds lower then. You should always blow up at the end of a 5k.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Fixed. And thanks...I think I'll go out at around 7 and see what happens.

7 pace or a couple seconds lower then. You should always blow  throw up at the end of a 5k.

Feeling the growl again

If you're not in PR shape you must be darn close....I'd say go out in 7 and I bet you can hold it and kick at the end.  Push to a good wretch at the line and you'll be golden.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If you're not in PR shape you must be darn close....I'd say go out in 7 and I bet you can hold it and kick at the end.  Push to a good wretch at the line and you'll be golden.

Sounds right to me.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prince of Fatness

Leave the watch home and see what happens.  5K is perfect for this.

Not at it at all. 

Leave the watch home and see what happens.  5K is perfect for this.

I don't know about leaving the watch behind.  I find it useful for feedback.  Sometimes I can go by feel and know that I'm pushing it well.  Other times it feels like I'm pushing it at 5k effort but the watch tells me otherwise.  That's when you know you need to dig down deeper.

Tony, To hit splits like that a day after a 50 mile ride, I'd say you're in 5k PR shape.  If you play it right over the next few days and have fresh legs on Sat, you may just surprise yourself.

Prince of Fatness

I don't know about leaving the watch behind.  I find it useful for feedback.  Sometimes I can go by feel and know that I'm pushing it well.  Other times it feels like I'm pushing it at 5k effort but the watch tells me otherwise.  That's when you know you need to dig down deeper.

I think that it depends on the type of racer that you are.  I tended to be conservative when racing, and always seemed to have something left in the tank.  Even my wife noted that I was one of the ones sprinting at the end.  Part of the reason for this is that I would not trust my effort, check the watch, think that it was too fast, and back off the pace.  Losing the watch helped fix this, and since I have started doing this I have not had as much energy left at the end of races (I could maybe pick it up a little but not like before).  I have found that racing with no watch is more fun, too.

I will say that it took several races to dial it in, but I eventually ran a couple of PRs, including a 10 miler, this way.  I also practiced this by not monitoring pace during workouts.  I wore the Garmin, but turned the display on total time only.  Did the workouts by time.  Then after the workout I would review the data to see how close my perception of the pace was.

Not at it at all. 

I think that it depends on the type of racer that you are. 

OK, I'll give you that.  Personnaly I have ran better times given the feedback from a watch/splits.

I like your approach on doing workouts by time and reviewing the data later.  Gives you a good perspective on effort vs time and better allows you to know your body and capabilities.

Slo

For a 5k I usually skip the watch. Go out too fast, begin my downward spiral somewhere after two miles and then find enough gas to make the back half close to an even split. Watch or no watch I wouldn't look at it. Besides, most times there are volunteers calling out inaccurate splits at the mile markers anyway.

For distances greater than that I'll use a watch. It does help to keep me a little more honest up front.

TonyP...Looking at your splits I don't know how you could doubt that your at your 5k pr. I'd say go out at 7. Best of luck!

I tended to be conservative when racing, and always seemed to have something left in the tank.  Even my wife noted that I was one of the ones sprinting at the end.  Part of the reason for this is that I would not trust my effort, check the watch, think that it was too fast, and back off the pace.  Losing the watch helped fix this, and since I have started doing this I have not had as much energy left at the end of races (I could maybe pick it up a little but not like before).

I don't use mine to constantly evaluate pace.  But I have gotten some benefit from setting the little Virtual Partner dude to run my target time pace.  Assuming it's a reasonable time target, I've found that the chance of catching VP dude by increasing my effort just a little was the little extra motivation I needed to push a bit beyond what I thought was my max.

And then I get to recalibrate what "max" feels like. Cool

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks for all the input! I think I will wear my watch, but only look at it for the first quarter or half mile to make sure I don't go out too fast.  For the mile splits I ran in the workout I described, I didn't shoot for a pace, just "fast".  So I'll keep it around 7 the first half mile or so, then just run "fast" the rest of the race and see how that goes.