3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Snowshoers (Read 28 times)

Hey snowshoe experts...I should just wear trail shoes for this yes? Going up to VT for "ski"/superbowl weekend, figured I'd try and get some snowshoeing in to avoid complete sloth (I ski poorly and injure myself more than half the time). Also, dress same as I would going for a long run, I guess (but maybe with wool ski socks)? Trails on the mountain (Stratton) include what looks like a 3-4 mile loop, which I suppose I'll do a few times - not exactly sure how long that'll take. Twice as long as running?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Kalsarikännit

I'm no expert seeing as I weirdly live in a place that doesn't see snow in the winter anymore, but get some kind of gaiter, and keep your backside warm and dry. You will kick up a lot if snow.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I tend to wear my running training shoes for my running shoe shoes.  I have worn the classic big ass snoe shoes and worn low cut boots.  I never showshoe more than 1 hour, so I have not worn gaiters, but I do wear snow pants.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ok, thanks. I don't have gaiters, but sure I could get some (there might even be some at the house up there).

Confirmed it is hard as hell to run in those things, especially rental ones that clearlly aren't made for running. Turns out the "twice as long" estimate was about right. The nordic center woman said they were thinking about going out to take a look for me because "no one ever stays out that long". It was only 2 and half hours. Beat the crap outta me though.