3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Hello (updated newest results ) (Read 478 times)

Hawt and sexy

Sacs of fluid? Are you growing binders of men?

I'm touching your pants.

Well went to my neuro surgeons appointment and came back with a different diagnosis. What the neurologist THOUGHT was a syrinx (sac of fluid) is edema. My spinal cord is getting flattened which is making it swell outward (getting pressure from both back and in front) so my "diagnosis" as of now is Degenerative Myelopathy, so no running or biking (unless it's stationary) He feels I need to have surgery ASAP to prevent further damage.  My second opinion appointment is next Monday in the am. After seeing the MRI film I have no doubt that surgery is required just need to find out if if the one he is wanting to do is the correct one.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Well went to my neuro surgeons appointment and came back with a different diagnosis. What the neurologist THOUGHT was a syrinx (sac of fluid) is edema. My spinal cord is getting flattened which is making it swell outward (getting pressure from both back and in front) so my "diagnosis" as of now is Degenerative Myelopathy, so no running or biking (unless it's stationary) He feels I need to have surgery ASAP to prevent further damage.  My second opinion appointment is next Monday in the am. After seeing the MRI film I have no doubt that surgery is required just need to find out if if the one he is wanting to do is the correct one.

I am sorry to hear that surgery is required.  I hope the post-surgery prognosis is optimistic.  Hang in there...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Sacs of fluid? Are you growing binders of men?

lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

I am sorry to hear that surgery is required.  I hope the post-surgery prognosis is optimistic.  Hang in there...

+ a bunch.

Not at it at all. 

I'm quite optimistic about post surgery. Doctor basically said he can relieve the pressure on the spinal cord. Can't say whether to what degree that my symptoms will lessen but that they will but  A LOT depends on what I DO. He also said  after talking to both me and my husband that he has a feeling that I'll do what's required to get back too the best shape physically that I can. Apparently I'm Atypical of his "normal" patients.

Thanks guys!!

I was also told that being so fit has kept some of the symptoms I'm dealing with now at bay since apparently it looks like the degeneration has been going on for years. But who knows maybe I'll hear something completely different next week. 

Feeling the growl again

Apparently I'm Atypical

This should have been the least shocking finding of the visit.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

Answers, even tough ones, are good. Extraordinarily motivated people get extraordinary results. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

Hang in there rocken. You'll beat a mud hole in this thing and then stomp it dry.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Answers, even tough ones, are good. Extraordinarily motivated people get extraordinary results. 

+1,000,000

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

It's already been said.  You are exceptional and you will indeed come through this with extraordinary results.  Sorry surgery sounds necessary, but it sounds as though it will have benefits.  I hope things go well with the second opinion and you can find a suitable path to take.  Keep hanging in there, your strength in this is something we can all be inspired by.   It's got to be tough to be diverting energy in to this battle but I'm so glad you have the fitness of mind and body to do that.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes!

steph  

Second opinion done.I was told the same thing, that if I'm not careful or even if I am I could end up in a wheelchair. I need surgery to relieve the pressure off my spinal cord ASAP. I won't know until a year what damage is permanent. I forgot to ask how soon after surgery could I attempt to get back to running but I'll be able to start PT a month afterwards. Well looks like I'll be cross training during the winter and getting back to running come spring. 

Feeling the growl again

Second opinion done.I was told the same thing, that if I'm not careful or even if I am I could end up in a wheelchair. I need surgery to relieve the pressure off my spinal cord ASAP. I won't know until a year what damage is permanent. I forgot to ask how soon after surgery could I attempt to get back to running but I'll be able to start PT a month afterwards. Well looks like I'll be cross training during the winter and getting back to running come spring. 

Well be careful and don't over-do it then!  Save your propensity to kick ass for the recovery.  Smile

I hope they can get you scheduled in soon and get you on the road to recovery.