3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March Racing Thread (Read 1400 times)

DoppleBock

Interesting - In 24 hour racing it has nothing to do with gaining an advantage - Just a simple rule - A person may leave the course, but must return either at the spot of leaving the course or further backward of spot leaving the course or will be DQ'd.  I have never seen it enforced - But it is often threatened.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Is this grounds for getting the guy suspended from road racing? Not the cutting of the curb, but the assault...i'm wondering.

C-R

Great picture! Somehow I had pictured you totally different

I use a stunt double for the really tough stuff.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I'm now just totally dumbfounded.  I had intended to file a police report today, but after reading the RD's email (C-R, check your email), I'm so disgusted that I'm just letting it all go.  Life is too short.

In short:

- His first reaction was to disqualify us both but he relented.

- Two more witnesses came forward who had been positioned behind the initial witness

- They witnessed shouting and pushing which they said "appears to have occurred for absolutely no reason" -- in other words, they missed what started it and assumed that me shouting and pushing the guy away from me was the first event.

- These individuals were long-time acquaintances of the RD, and he emphasized this up front.  He appears to have based his perspective of the event entirely on these two witnesses, which called me the likely aggressor, and not once mentioned the other witness who supported my version and came forward to him earlier.

- He emphasized the age and experience of these other witnesses.

- He indicated that I was at fault for not giving this individual the space he requested (to pass).

I was respectful but also penned a detailed reply calling out his witness bias and the logical inconsistenties with his favored witness' versions.

I find it ironic that when his two witnesses passed me later in the race, one of them twice impeded slower runners from the quarter marathon who they were passing.

It appears I may have more reason to justify traveling for Tom King as a goal spring HM.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

It appears I may have more reason to justify traveling for Tom King as a goal spring HM.

I like Tom King (even though I race it for crap) and the folks down there are pretty cool too (and the beer).

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Hawt and sexy

Um, what world is this dude from? Since when do you ask to pass in a race? You either shut up and do it or you stay back.You don't cry about it and you don't bring football moves to the road/track/trail.

I guess I will tell those in my little niche running community that Sam Costa is not a friendly race. Could you imagine what an idiot like this would do to two people running together? Ugh.

I'm touching your pants.

Prince of Fatness

- He indicated that I was at fault for not giving this individual the space he requested (to pass)

Oh, so then it's OK for that asshat to grab you and throw you to the pavement?  Idiots, the lot of them.  Sounds like a race that I would never enter now knowing this.

Kudos for you for exercising restraint and not retaliating.  You are correct, life is short and it's not worth complicating things by trying to get back at him, as tempting as it would be.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

I sent some notes to the "brain trust" of the org that let them know as a member I am embarrased that this would happen on a runner's club premier event with no real action. Since they represent me, I and the rest of the members look like total tools. I doubt I will get any response but it really chafes my chitlins that a group dedicated to making the sport fun and competitive can just turn and stick their head in the sand. I guess that renewal will not be coming and now I will stick with the new runner's club in Carmel.

So here's my take. Next time you see this ahole in a race toy with him a bit. I figured he was going for all he's worth and you managed a 1:15 with a body slam. Make him your bitch and play with him for 12 miles and then drop him like 3rd period French in the last 1.1 or whatever the distance. He'll know that the only reason he could ever beat you would be to by cheating and to a guy like that, its worse than any physical ass whipping. A complete mind fuck.

Of course there's the whole "my brakes didn't work in the parking lot as I run his ass down" thing as plan B or I can go bring out the gimp.

Big grin

Feeling the growl again

Oh, so then it's OK for that asshat to grab you and throw you to the pavement? 

Well that's kind of my take.  You can debate pushing/shoving and intent, and I can play devil's advocate and look at it from the angle that is not my personal account...but I don't think any prior act justifies pursuing another athlete and deliberately taking them down from behind without an automatic DQ.

Let it be known, if you assault someone like this during the Beer Mile, you will be tied to my rifle backstop and an apple placed on your head, to be shot off left-handed...after we start drinking.  In true Hurtlocker style.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

So here's my take. Next time you see this ahole in a race toy with him a bit. I figured he was going for all he's worth and you managed a 1:15 with a body slam. Make him your bitch and play with him for 12 miles and then drop him like 3rd period French in the last 1.1 or whatever the distance. He'll know that the only reason he could ever beat you would be to by cheating and to a guy like that, its worse than any physical ass whipping. A complete mind fuck.

If I ever race him again you can be sure a complete mind-fuck will be in order.  It's a lot crueler than just beating the living shit out of someone.

Besides, you've seen the picture, beating the crap out of him would be like being proud of yourself for kicking the crap out of a yapping Yorkie.  Wink

Hawt and sexy

I say if guerrilla racing is allowed, then is guerrilla spectating allowed? Like, OMG I didn't SEE you there.

I'm touching your pants.

Hawt and sexy

Dude, just invite this guy to the beer mile. No one will see a thing.

I'm touching your pants.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Dude, just invite this guy to the beer mile. No one will see a thing.

Smile

steph  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I guess the RD's outlook gives some credence to his expectation that runners are supposed to jump out of your way if you want to pass them. At least in that race.

Seems bizarre to me. Wonder how they came to believe that is a reasonable expectation?

Of course, assaulting another runner for "not getting out of the way" seems the polar opposite of sportsmanship.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Slo

Seems bizarre to me. Wonder how they came to believe that is a reasonable expectation?

I thought the same thing when I read Spaniels original account.

Out on my run last night this question was being tossed around in my little brain.

In triathlons there are wave starts. This ususlly means that the faster people in later waves are catching slower people from the earlier waves. It's expected that the slower people yield to the faster whether that be by bike or run.

In trail races where there are multiple loops I've seen it covered in the rules that slower runners should yield.

In mountain biking it's very common to expect a slower rider to make room for you to pass at the earliest possible spot.

In cross country the rules are different. It's not uncommon for people to block for other teammates.

I searched and searched looking for some sort of rules that would govern a road race but I found nothing. I personally would not expect to yield my line to someone trying to pass me in a road race.