3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March Racing Thread (Read 1400 times)

Feeling the growl again

How are you doing physically?  Pretty healed up?

Usually my hamstring twangs while running - This morning is the 1st time it ever was trangy 1st thing out of bed.  I look at is a payback for the trail run last night - I was constantly slowing myself down - But was still cruising.  I wish I had felt that way Saturday for the upcoming 50k - But I believe it possible I blew my wad with my 2nd 50k training run this week.  But I just remind myself of the bigger picture - This is training - Saturdays 50k is just another longer run.

My running is not affected.  Sore spot on hip and outside of knee, but they are apparently superficial bruises.

My wrist is messed up.  I can finally move my thumb and type without pain.  I spent my lunch hour with my 4-yr-old as she had 2 teeth pulled...a few of the worst minutes of my fatherhood....so I ended up over-doing it trying to hold her and carry her.  My wrist was screaming at me until I went to bed.  Best guess, I will be able to stop wrapping it sometime next week and likely another week or two to get back to 90%.

I wish I was putting in long runs like that...not looking good schedule-wise.  I hope I just get one in this weekend as I have to work 12-16 hours/day.  Perhaps one more good hard one before Carmel.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I was just there to enjoy the fun and camraderie.

You should make sure he knows that based on the way this issue was handled that you and several of your friends will make sure to avoid Sam Costa in the future as this is not the type of environment we would want to be part of.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm not sure of the rules, but I know from cross in college that the leader would always take the path of least resistance, sometimes even boxing in a faster runner with a team mate. 

I have seen many guys get angry in single track trail races for not allowing a pass. ...

I want to find that youtube video of Milrose where Lagat steps out of the way so someone can pass him on the inside.

Heh Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

You should make sure he knows that based on the way this issue was handled that you and several of your friends will make sure to avoid Sam Costa in the future as this is not the type of environment we would want to be part of.

From my reply...

"My competitive days are years behind me.  I choose races for the fun,
          relaxation, and camraderie they provide.  I wish you all the best with
          future events but I expect you can understand that after this incident
          and how it has turned out I believe I am more likely to find those
          things at other races where I am not reminded of this or perceived to
          be an unsportsmanlike aggressor."

I can only speak for myself....though I of course greatly appreciate the support I've seen from other runners.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

Mad City 50k (100k course when it host national championship) was a lot harder than I thought.  Course is never closed to trafic and has many corners - So its hard to run the correct tangents.  There is one medium size hill and one long soul stealing hill - The rest is a nice constant rolling course.  This makes the times of the mad city 100k last year even more amazing to me. 

2 people beat the previous course record of 3:08 - Zach Bittner ran a 3:03 and Patrick Russell ran for 2nd (I do not know time - But under 3:08)

I would think it is 1-2 minute penalty per 10k look compared to a flat coouse with few turns.

One of my secret goals I did not post was to not get lapped by the winner - I was 1 minute into my 5th and final lap when I heard the cheering for Zach's finish. 

I ran my fastest lap the last and finish @ 3:44:20

Although I had a great race for me and beat my A goal - I got beat by 42 minutes - damn I am slow.  I think it works out to be @ 7:15 pace - I am thinking that with the diffculty on the course and that I will run at least 170 miles this week - I dub myslef to currently be in 3:03 - 3:05 marathon pace.  Still a wee bit of work to do to make sub 3 @ Carmel.

Full results

http://www.runrace.net/findarace.php?id=12105WI&tab=a4&results=3507#dRlt

As you can see I was not in the same race as the top 4.

Laps

1  45:36

2  45:40

3  45:16

4  44:44

5  43:04

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Mad City 50k (100k course when it host national championship) was a lot harder than I thought.  Course is never closed to trafic and has many corners - So its hard to run the correct tangents.  There is one medium size hill and one long soul stealing hill - The rest is a nice constant rolling course.  This makes the times of the mad city 100k last year even more amazing to me. 

2 people beat the previous course record of 3:08 - Zach Bittner ran a 3:03 and Patrick Russell ran for 2nd (I do not know time - But under 3:08)

I would think it is 1-2 minute penalty per 10k look compared to a flat coouse with few turns.

One of my secret goals I did not post was to not get lapped by the winner - I was 1 minute into my 5th and final lap when I heard the cheering for Zach's finish. 

Although I had a great race for me and beat my A goal - I got beat by 42 minutes - damn I am slow.  I think it works out to be @ 7:15 pace - I am thinking that with the diffculty on the course and that I will run at least 170 miles this week - I dub myslef to currently be in 3:03 - 3:05 marathon pace.  Still a wee bit of work to do to make sub 3 @ Carmel.

Full results

Nice run especially given your mileage. No worries on Carmel, when you drop the mileage you will kill it. And if you and C-R would stop dropping weight, if you don't feel it you can always crack some skulls for me.

Full results

Laps

1  45:36

2  45:40

3  45:16

4  44:44

5  43:04

NOW THAT is how I want to run my ultra's! NICELY DONE DB!!! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

36:55 - Cooper River Bridge Run

Way off the what I wanted but I'm happy...see the swamp thread for my bitching about the logistics and hour delay in the start.

Nasty headwind that sucked the soul out of me on the bridge from 1.75 - 4.   Nobody else wanted to pull, so I had to cut out on my own and powered up the bridge at a whopping 6:20.      

5k  (official) Splits:  18:43 / 18:12

Miles: 5:45, 5:52, 6:20, 5:53, 5:54, 5:48, 1:22

The graph of my pace vs elevation pretty much tells the story.  On a course without the big ass bridge and the headwind,  I feel uber confident the 36:15 would have fallen.   

Time to bang my head against the wall some more ...

CliveF   3/31   Charlottesville Ten-Miler (Charlottesville VA)   Um, 72min.

Rough day and evening before the race, leaving me with quite a pessimistic outlook.  Pulled a 69:07 outta my ass.

And I'm actually wondering if I could've gone faster ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Great races, DB and amcneice!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

I did not make a friend Saturday - Hopefully not an enemy

Lap #4 - For @ 4 miles the guy I have been chasing and racing the whole time has a friend jump in with him - He had a handheld water bottle and I was just slamming 2 cups at the aid stations - So I passed him briefly at each aide station and then he would get @ 100 foot lead up the hills.

At the end of lap #4 - I told him and his pacer this was a USATF event - Sanctioned as WI 50k championship race and pacers were illegal - I would not say anything about the the pacing that lap - but it had to stop.  They both swore at me and kept going - I turned and looked at the guy and said I will complain if you are paced this lap - I continued to say - You are running strong - race me - beat me - you do not need a pacer.  He swore at me again - So I put a surge in and gapped him 30 feet.  The 1st 3 miles are the harder up hills - He should have passed me on them - I was pushing and heard him at one time near me - But I always make up the stager the rest of the lap.  So when he did not pass me on the last soul stealing hill - I ran the last 3.5 miles as hard as I could.

I did not talk to him after the race - But they said he looked dejected - I ran the last lap 4 minutes faster than him.

I felt a little ticky-tacky calling him on the pacer - But I finished 5th and him 6th in the race - It was not like we were doing a 6 hour 50k.  I know the race director good enough - I made him aware of it with out officially "Complaining" about it.

It was funny because there were 4-5 poeple taking pictures on the course and every time they saw someone the pacer would dart to the other side of the road to avoid being photographed alongside.  He also broke off 800 feet before the lap line and ran behing the table etc.  So he knew what he was doing was wrong.

Hawt and sexy

I bet he looked you up after the race and noticed you had world hardware and this was a short run for you. And then he drank himself into oblivion.

I'm touching your pants.

DoppleBock

The incident actually helped me race harder than I would have - I was having a very hard mental time with seing the person I have been racing for 3 hours being paced - It gave me a lot bigger motvation to race and beat him.  But we are all mental animals to a bit and if he had taken me strong on the hill and gapped me strongly the 1st part of the rolling area - I am not sure I would have been able to stay possitve and work so hard the last 3.5 miles.

DoppleBock

Good idea - He is an athlete listed on the Berkley Running Company website - From Madison and was well know (Lots of people cheering for him)

http://www.berkeleyrunningcompany.com/AboutUs/Staff/tabid/103/Default.aspx

Rolando

Of course his view of the race might have been totally different than mine and really did not give a shit about placement and wanted to run with his friend.  I might have been racing him and he was not racing me.

C-R

Nice racing Clive and am. Well done DB especially with that tool.

what the hell is it with people cheating. I mean use evry tactic you can to compete but cheating? Where's the honor in that. Jebus that just pisses me off. Way to keep your cool and beat his best illegal effort. I hope he puts more work into training instead of schemeing but likely not.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/