3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March Racing Thread (Read 1400 times)

I dunno, he seemed to do pretty well without them. Maybe some big clunky stability shoes or Hokas would be just the ticket.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Human race 8k - March 18 - 27:35. And this race I'm actually going to be ready for.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

an amazing likeness

You can toss me on the list for:

Midcoast Half Marathon

Linclnville, ME

March 11

Don't know the course specifically (inaugural event)...but it's a hilly area. So I'll guess a conservative 1:43:00

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

I dunno, he seemed to do pretty well without them. Maybe some big clunky stability shoes or Hokas would be just the ticket.

Not for me.  It was some friendly ribbing for being an idiot and reaching into my bag 5min before the gun at the last race and having to admit I was dumb enough to forget my flats for the first time in 15 years.

But I got the poopy diaper changed that distracted me and caused me to forget them -- both pairs I had laid out to choose from -- so at least my kid's butt was not red.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Oh I know, but there might not be any going back now. You excelled in the race and averted diaper rash, all in one day. That's not a formula to mess with lightly.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Good luck to everyone in achieving and exceeding your goals.

RickStraughen  March 24,  MudDogs Half Marathon, Mt. Pleasant, MI.   Sub 1:26   (Same course as previous 2 months)

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

DoppleBock

50s are a bit of a crap shoot.  Is this run on the looped course that 3 days at the fair is run on?  If so - I do not think you are too agressive @ 8:30 - But be happy with 9:00.  It is all about pacing ~ There is always time later to run fast if you still feel like it.  I find I do the best if I remain patient until mile 35-40.

50 is far enough that it can test your problem solving skills ~ Sour stomach, GI issues, hot spots on feet, pain in other places.  If it is at the 3-day at fair course - To be fair I would set

> 10 - learning experience

< 10 - Bronze

< 9:15 - Silver

< 8:30 - Gold 

DB do you think I'm being too aggressive? I know, you really have no way to tell but heck figured I'd ask the question anyways.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Have a great race - Very competetive - lots of people to run with

http://www.raceberryjam.com/2011/human8kmen.html 

Around where I live 27:35 might win - It might get you top 50 ~ or not in the human race.  Likely 10 women go under 30 ~ Hell if you go much over 28 you might get chicked.

Human race 8k - March 18 - 27:35. And this race I'm actually going to be ready for.

DoppleBock

March 31st is Mad City 50k ~ correction requested

50s are a bit of a crap shoot.  Is this run on the looped course that 3 days at the fair is run on?  If so - I do not think you are too agressive @ 8:30 - But be happy with 9:00.  It is all about pacing ~ There is always time later to run fast if you still feel like it.  I find I do the best if I remain patient until mile 35-40.

50 is far enough that it can test your problem solving skills ~ Sour stomach, GI issues, hot spots on feet, pain in other places.  If it is at the 3-day at fair course - To be fair I would set

> 10 - learning experience

< 10 - Bronze

< 9:15 - Silver

< 8:30 - Gold 

Thanks for responding DB! Yep 50's are a bit of a crap shoot. I've never trained this "intensely" for one. My first one I actually did back to back run's however I was running much less mileage and did nothing as far as any kind of speed work. My main goal was to finish. The rest just kind of happened. Getting caught up in signing up for stuff but not really training for them. per say. Anyway, no the 50 is not on the same loop as they use for the 3 days at a fair. Kind of wish it was. As mind numbing as it can get doing loop after loop it's nice to have a bathroom readily available. I think the biggest down FOR me is the aid station. Rick, Jen, his sister and the rest of the crew do an AMAZING job in having it set up. The temptation is just sooooooo great to stop through and get something to eat etc. 

After I posted my goals I had a bit of a freakout lol. I've gotten through a couple 30 mile training runs and even a 40 mile training run (though that one had many stops due to waiting for people etc ) that went really nice HOWEVER those weren't race day. I know all too well that things have a way of going completely the opposite of what you want or expect. That no matter how well trained you are for a race that life may have other plans. Anyway I like the "award" setting and I think I'll go with that. 

Anyway thanks. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

The key is the 1st 2-4 hours of pacing, eating and drinking - Keep it reasonable, take care of yourself.  Basically you want to put yourself into position to race the last 25-50% of the race.

I am not a Nascar fan - But why would you push so hard and take a good chance of wrecking so early in the race.  Its all about racing smart, getting yourself into position to race hard at the end.

** Note:  If you feel like you are one of the biggest, badasses in the race - Then you might want to throttle from the start - But I have not ever felt that way - So I have no experience with that strategy.

DoppleBock

Rock'n - Stop tweaking - You are prepared = 50% of battle

20% for a good taper

20% for a good race strategy execution

10% for being metally tough or at least stubborn.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Have a great race - Very competetive - lots of people to run with

http://www.raceberryjam.com/2011/human8kmen.html 

Around where I live 27:35 might win - It might get you top 50 ~ or not in the human race.  Likely 10 women go under 30 ~ Hell if you go much over 28 you might get chicked.

Yeah.  It is part of the USATF - MN team circuit so it get's stocked with DI and DIII athletes.  There will be a few people running it who ran the Olympic marathon trials in January.   Most of my races this year will be stacked with hardcore competition.  I'm hoping just to score for my team, but that will even be a stretch.  Here are the times from my top 6 teammates last year at the race. And this is just for my team not to mention the top team in with 5 under 26:00 plus simply unattached runners.

1. 25:55 - Human Race
                            2. 26:06 - Human Race
                            3. 26:16 - Human Race
                            4.  26:56 - Human Race
                            5. 26:57 - Human Race
                            6.  27:16 - Human Race

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DoppleBock

Before I got side tracked with the ultra-crap this race was on my "To do" list.

I think you are a good team member with that group to be a backup in case someone or 2 have a bad race ~ Should be fun!

I never ran any big shorter races in MN - I think in my 18 months living there I ran

Ron Daws 25k (2)

Big Woods trail 10k Fairbault

Giant Valley 10k Le seur

Cedar Park 5 miler - Fairmont (2)

Grandmas Marathon

Twin Cities Marathon

The key is the 1st 2-4 hours of pacing, eating and drinking - Keep it reasonable, take care of yourself.  Basically you want to put yourself into position to race the last 25-50% of the race.

I am not a Nascar fan - But why would you push so hard and take a good chance of wrecking so early in the race.  Its all about racing smart, getting yourself into position to race hard at the end.

** Note:  If you feel like you are one of the biggest, badasses in the race - Then you might want to throttle from the start - But I have not ever felt that way - So I have no experience with that strategy.

I'm with ya on this! Let's hope I can execute it as well 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson