3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March Racing Thread (Read 1400 times)

Rock'n - Stop tweaking - You are prepared = 50% of battle

20% for a good taper

20% for a good race strategy execution

10% for being metally tough or at least stubborn.

I am no longer tweaking. Had a great visit with my doctor. Had 4 viles of blood taken however he said not to worry and as far as my training goes, to keep training like I was before.  So I'm am just going to enjoy the next few weeks. Got one more long run and then it's "easy peasy" well except for holding back.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I am no longer tweaking. Had a great visit with my doctor. Had 4 viles of blood taken however he said not to worry and as far as my training goes, to keep training like I was before.  So I'm am just going to enjoy the next few weeks. Got one more long run and then it's "easy peasy" well except for holding back.

Great!

steph  

3/17

Spring Thaw 5k

19:25

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slo

3/17

Spring Thaw 5k

19:25

3/17 and it's the Spring Thaw? Shouldn't be the Gaelic Gallop or Celtic 5k or Runing of the Shamrocks or something?

March the 17th...Sleep the 18th. That's what the leprechauns do.

Put me down for:

3/25

Easter Seals 4 mile. 26:59

You have a point.  The thing is, it is New Jersey.  That is my standard explanation.   Somehow it helps people understand.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

"last" long run done, I AM READY!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

3/3 -- Indy Mini Training Series 10K -- 33:20, defend title

I'd really hoped to be solidly sub-33 by this point, but given how I've screwed the pooch this month I think that would be overly optimistic.

35:27.  6th OA.  

WTF.

So horribly wrong I just need to laugh it off and forget it ever happened.  All I can figure is that I should have kept the girlyman tights on, I opened on target in 5:25 and then my legs just completely shut down. 

I've never dropped out of anything shorter than a marathon, but I nearly did today.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

WTF.

So horribly wrong I just need to laugh it off and forget it ever happened.  All I can figure is that I should have kept the girlyman tights on, I opened on target in 5:25 and then my legs just completely shut down. 

I've never dropped out of anything shorter than a marathon, but I nearly did today.

Well I'm sure those 30 mph gusts didn't help matters. This is one of those outlier points in the stats you just disregard.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

WTF.

Should of worn your trainers.

j/k Wink

Don't sweat it. The Beer Mile is the only race that matters anyway.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Well I'm sure those 30 mph gusts didn't help matters. This is one of those outlier points in the stats you just disregard.

The winds wasn't that bad, the only good excuse I can make up is that my legs did not react well to the cold.   

Who knows.  Whatever it was, I won't worry unless it happens again.

MTA:  Probably the most annoying parts about the whole thing at the time were a) two of the three guys in front of me wore VFFs and had weird-looking form (but they were beating me), and b) the last guy who passed and beat me looked EXACTLY like Juno's boyfriend in the movie of that name, except with a handlebar mustache glued to his face (I think it was actually real).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

Well, after sabotaging myself completely the last 2 months and battling the flu all week I was unsure if I would even go to the race today, but decided I had no real excuse not to and at least I would get my longest run of the past month in.  With a solid race out of the question I decided to help my friend break an hour for the first time...which turned out to be a good plan because I was sucking wind near the end.   I think if I had tried to run my own race I would have had a solid 2 miles and then died completely.

Actual pace was slightly faster each mile.  Part of that was planned as she didnt warm up at all and it was crowded at the start. but miles 2 and 3 probably could have been a bit faster.  I neglected to calculate GPS error into the pace ahead of time and got a little scared when we hit the mile 4 marker that I had cut it too close.  As it turns out about half of the error was marker placement so we got a "short" mile 6 to help her to a 59:07 (ish). 

I'm probably just as thrilled with today as with running my own race. Very satisfying because I know she wanted to rabbit when the crowd cleared at 0.3 and then at 5 she started struggling and it was a lot of talking her through the pain until she could see the finish. 

I feel like death now. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

WTF.

Freezing temps and wind...that really sucks.   

steph  

WTF.

Sorry to hear about the attempt.  There's a lot of factors that go into the legs just shutting down.  As CR said, mark it down as one of those outliers that you disregard.  Just think back to how your 7-mile win was in trainers.  You know you have it in you.

2 March Races for me:

3/10/212 - Columbia Marathon 10K  - 36:45

3/31/2012 - Cooper River Bridge Run - TBD

I've got to bag the marathon and drop down to the 10k. Posted in the sub3:00 thread but I blew myself apart last week and it hurt to walk.  I've still got some tenderness in my ankle so running that marathon course with the downhills would probably = doom. 

Live to fight another day,  figure if I still get tight and a bit tender driving (it's the pointing that sometimes hurts) running a hilly marathon = bad idea.

3/10 - Tom King HM - Nashville - Goal <1:44:25 which is my PR on both this course and another course in 2009.

This should be interesting. I feel like I'm in shape to PR, but if you only look at miles ran the last 8 weeks, I've ran 10-22 miles/week compared to 40-50 miles/week the 8 weeks before I PR'd in 2009.  I think I'm getting a lot of aerobic fitness from the time on the bike.  I guess the only way to test that theory is a race.