3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Feeling the growl again

It looks more and more like I might be a no go ... Since I could not do test #2 until end of September - I will give myself one more week to try and fit in test # 1

This 43 YO body is held together with bubble gun, duct tape and tin wire ~ I am a bit scared to put it through anything faster than 5k pace.  I did do 4x1 mile on TM Wednesday (5 minute recoveries)

5:49

5:46

5:46

5:39

But that is TM and I was a bit nervous of the bondo coming loose on my Hamstring

So the bondo can't handle a little speed but 200 mile weeks are ok....  Wink

No problem, I'll update the chart if you make a firm decision not to.  FWIW as thread dictator, if you want to wait until the end of Sept to close it out I have no problem with that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

As thread dictator, will you let me close out in late September if I've done something stupid (for me) like run 30 hilly miles on the fells in mid-September (most likely resulting in sore and tired legs that won't let me go fast for a while afterwards....they might even act as an excuse for a poor performance come late September too).  

I don't know for sure when I'm running the 30, it might not be until October or a bit later (seeing as my weekends are filled right now and I'm not sure when I'll get long enough runs in to make it seem achievable...therefore meaning that the 2 week holiday in the Lake District may be a training 2 weeks with long, hilly and hopefully fun days out rather than the time to run something stupid over a set distance...and I'll save the stupid for when I'm back in Oxford).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

DoppleBock

It's been so long - that true a true speed attempt scares me and I think there will not be much there - But yes lots of LSD are easy I have done them forever - I have not done really fast running since 2007. 

So the bondo can't handle a little speed but 200 mile weeks are ok....  Wink

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

As thread dictator, will you let me close out in late September if I've done something stupid (for me) like run 30 hilly miles on the fells in mid-September (most likely resulting in sore and tired legs that won't let me go fast for a while afterwards....they might even act as an excuse for a poor performance come late September too).  

I don't know.  You were supposed to pay homage with a box of half-drank scotch but it never arrived...

well, ok.  Late September is fine.  Want to take another couple seconds off your goal since you have more time, then?  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

It's been so long - that true a true speed attempt scares me and I think there will not be much there - But yes lots of LSD are easy I have done them forever - I have not done really fast running since 2007. 

Sounds like someone needs to stand up and challenge themselves.  Big grin

(Not if it will likely busticate yourself of course).

FWIW I have speed workouts planned I have dusted off from disuse since 2003.

I don't know.  You were supposed to pay homage with a box of half-drank scotch but it never arrived...

well, ok.  Late September is fine.  Want to take another couple seconds off your goal since you have more time, then?  Wink

I plan to pay homage with a full bottle of Scotch.  I'm torn by which one.  Maybe some Jura Diruach's Own, but maybe something influenced by that you like.  It might just need to wait until I can hand it to you in person...or face the bollocking I'd get for trying to post it....You are however the dictator and I do bow to you.

IF I go for late September I will aim for 6:38...although surely that's just making it all harder because I'll be shattered and trying to run faster than I previously stated.  I guess you don't win a prize (even an imaginary one I'll hand to myself) by not fecking trying though.  If I fail, I tried.  However, does this mean that if I choose to run my mile at the start of September I can add a couple of seconds to my goal time?!

Actually I'm on holiday when we're running the final mile, aren't I?  I guess it's going to be a different course or just accepting I need to run late (whatever I do with this 30) and run 6:38 or less.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

I plan to pay homage with a full bottle of Scotch.  I'm torn by which one.  Maybe some Jura Diruach's Own, but maybe something influenced by that you like.  It might just need to wait until I can hand it to you in person.

I will be in Vienna in October and Dublin in November....

In all seriousness I might be in Vienna in late October (not that I want to be, but work is work and the group in Vienna are the only people who have the inhibitors and set-up so no avoiding it).  If I end up going out later in the year I'll be asking you to recommend some good running there (I've got to be there for at least 2 weeks, but original threats were up to 2 months which is something I'd really rather not do).

I've never been to Dublin.  Need to get Purdey back on here and persuade him to team up for a meet-up in Ireland.  Unless you can be persuaded to England?

Darn, you'll be close enough that I could pay homage. 

Prince of Fatness

I will be in Vienna in October and Dublin in November....

Make sure that you do some liver exercises before you go.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

In all seriousness I might be in Vienna in late October (not that I want to be, but work is work and the group in Vienna are the only people who have the inhibitors and set-up so no avoiding it).  If I end up going out later in the year I'll be asking you to recommend some good running there (I've got to be there for at least 2 weeks, but original threats were up to 2 months which is something I'd really rather not do).

I've never been to Dublin.  Need to get Purdey back on here and persuade him to team up for a meet-up in Ireland.  Unless you can be persuaded to England?

Darn, you'll be close enough that I could pay homage. 

It's for work, for conferences.  So I'm stuck where I fly into, though I have a half day free at the end of the trip in both locations since westerly flights are only available in the mornings.

As for liver exercises, Finn, DUDE....you know my liver is in better shape than my running now.  Big grin

Prince of Fatness

This is where I will start then, thanks.  Probably Monday.  I may go with the shuffle for recovery as well.  I like the idea of keeping moving a bit.

Done.  The plan was for 4 x 45 sec with 2 minute recovery.  My Garmin 210 has a very simple interval function and only allows increments of 10 seconds, so I dropped it down to 40 sec and dropped the recovery to 1:50.

I ran these pretty consistently.

Garmin said that I ran (miles) .12, .12, .12, .11, .11

.12 is 5:34 pace and .11 is 6:04 pace, so let's say I ran them all between 5:30 and 6 minutes.  I also did a good job of taking it real easy during the recoveries.

All in all I think that this was a good place to start.  I'll probably run it the same the next one or two times, then see about challenging myself a little more.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

My last opportunity to set a base will be Saturday - I just do not want to risk injury so maybe. 

Prince of Fatness

My last opportunity to set a base will be Saturday - I just do not want to risk injury so maybe. 

You ran ~ 150 miles in 24 hours and are afraid of one measly little mile?

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

There is a big difference between repetetive stress on a persons muscles, tendond, ligamins and joints and the extreme stress caused by running fast ... yes.  One of the reasons I stopped running anything faster than 5k pace (5k pace is race - more often 30 minute race pace) is I grew tired of the continual nagging injuries (I have not have an achillies issue in many years) to different parts of my body.

I have trained my body to withstand huge amounts of repepetive stress, but not at all to handle speed related stress. 

You ran ~ 150 miles in 24 hours and are afraid of one measly little mile?

Feeling the growl again

Damn.  That was a kick in the pants.

4X600m on 2min recovery, hoping for 4:40 mile pace (1:45s).  No dice, 1:47-49-51-53, stopped then as the pattern was not getting any better.  Switched to 4 200s on same recover, 32.9-32.3-32.1-31.1.  All out sprint on the last one, everything I could pull out.  Wow.

I should try a HRM, you know I just don't feel my heart pounding out of my chest on this fast stuff like I used to.  I think I need to keep doing it until I can drive a really hard effort and pounding HR again.