3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Favorite Workouts? (Read 661 times)

What are some of your favorite workouts?  Could be for marathon training, fitness check-points, or whatever trips your trigger.

So I'm at the 12 week mark from my goal marathon and I feel lost with the running.  I feel like I'm running just to run.  That may not all be bad as it's feeling good and I'm enjoying it.  However, with the weeks quickly winding down, I'm kinda freaking out about the whole training bit for the marathon.  12 weeks is still a lot of time but I really don't know what I should be doing going forward.  There's this whole periodization thing, there's intervals, tempos, fartleks, progression runs, long runs....yada yada yada.  It's a lot of stuff to piece together and that just has me stuck.

I know the usual weeks should have a long run and at least one if not two quality workouts with all others easy.  Mileage has been decent so far this year and the most important thing is that I've stayed relatively healthy.  Short of a freak hamstring issue during a 10-mile race in May, I've been able to keep the achilles tamed.  That has me more gun shy than anything when considering rolling in quality workouts.

So with quality workouts being on Tu - interval/tempo, Th - tempo/fartlek, and Sa (or Su) - long, I'm trying to figure out what to fit in on the Tu/Th quality days.  I'd like to do two other quality days but if I don't feel like I'm recovered, I'm not going to push it and risk flaring anything up.  My #1 goal is to finally make it to the starting line healthy.  OK, there may be a time goal that's really driving me more than anything but I am really trying to play it safe and make it to the line in decent shape.  Any suggestions or advice is welcome!

Feeling the growl again

Well, historically a lot of my favorite workouts were tied to whatever course I ran them and that is what was part of why they were special.  But here are a few taken outside of that context.

Back when I actually trained like it meant anything, my schedule was:

M- Easiest day of week, single

T- Possible 4-6 in AM; PM intervals

W- Easy, possible double

R- Med-long run with tempo; very rarely double due to length of main workout

F- Easy, possible double

Sa- Usually easy, sometimes double, possible fartlek if I felt unusually good

Su- Long run, 16 miles unless within 2-3mo of marathon, usually quality involved

So favorites for each of the workouts:

Interval

-8X800 on 90sec recovery, bread and butter workout and key fitness check

-6X1000 on 2min recovery

-4Xmile on 3min recovery

-4X(400-800-400), 60sec between intervals and 3min between sets, each interval faster than same interval in prior set; 1st 400 about speed of 800 or 1-2sec faster and final 400 of each set significantly faster; 800 same pace as would run in a 8X800 workout

-15, 20 or 25X400 in 70-75sec on 60sec recovery

-Courtesy of former coach Olympian Marc Davis: solid mile, 3-5min recovery, 10X400 on 60sec recovery, 3-5min jog, 1 mile nearly all out

-3-4 miles straights and curves -- FAST on straights and tempo pace on curves.  BRUTAL if done right.

Tempo

-4 mile tempo, bread and butter fitness check

-6 mile tempo

-8 mile "tempo"

-10 mile "tempo" - bread and butter fitness check

-10minON/5minOFF/8minON/4minOFF/6minON/3minOFF/4minON/2minOFF/2minON -- ON pace faster than tempo; OFF pace somewhere in moderate range.  Goal to stay right on threshhold bubble but push past in during each ON phase.  Example used to do ON at around 5:10-5:15 but OFF only slowed to 6:00 pace; love this workout!!

-3X(8minON/4minOFF), pacing strategy same as above workout

-3X(15minON/5minOFF), paced as above

Long Run

-16 miles; variable tempo at end starting with 4 miles working up to 10 at tempo

-2 mile wu, 5 miles ON/1OFF/4milesON/1OFF/3milesON/1OFF/2milesON/1OFF/1mileON/1OFF, 22 miles total.  HM pace for ON steady OFF.

-"No Backing Down"; start off comfortable and set goal to speed up X sec/mile.  Any time you are over on a mile MUST be made up on the next mile, but if you go too fast that does not count towards the next one and you must still go Xsec faster than the prior mile.  So if you start out at 7:00 with goal of 10sec...You run 6:58 so the next mile you must do 6:48 and you do...but then you run 6:50 for Mile 3 which was supposed to be 6:38, for Mile 4 you must still run 6:28.  You run 6:25 so Mile 5 must be 6:15.  Continue as long as you can until you miss two in a row or miss one and know you can't get back on schedule due to effort.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks Spaniel!  I don't think you left anything for anyone else.  Wink

I've always like progression runs and one of my favorites for getting ready for a 5k is to do a 30 minute run followed by 16x200m w/200m jog recovery.  Key is to keep moving on the 200's.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Spaniel!  I don't think you left anything for anyone else.  Wink

I've always like progression runs and one of my favorites for getting ready for a 5k is to do a 30 minute run followed by 16x200m w/200m jog recovery.  Key is to keep moving on the 200's.

Actually I think this is a great thread and I look forward to what others have to add.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

-"No Backing Down"; start off comfortable and set goal to speed up X sec/mile.  Any time you are over on a mile MUST be made up on the next mile, but if you go too fast that does not count towards the next one and you must still go Xsec faster than the prior mile.  So if you start out at 7:00 with goal of 10sec...You run 6:58 so the next mile you must do 6:48 and you do...but then you run 6:50 for Mile 3 which was supposed to be 6:38, for Mile 4 you must still run 6:28.  You run 6:25 so Mile 5 must be 6:15.  Continue as long as you can until you miss two in a row or miss one and know you can't get back on schedule due to effort.

I like this one and have done a softer version of it.  But it's hard for a non-flatlander to do on the road ... or you can do it, but I don't think you get the full benefit of pace-feel once you start running for a clock time on varied terrain v. gradually-increasing effort level regardless of terrain.  Still, I like it.

About the only one I can add is from Grete Waitz (if I can remember it right): about 7-10 days out, she used to run 1/2 to 2/3 race distance at a pace somewhere between target race-pace and a little slower.  Nice diagnostic to either build confidence or adjust the race goal.  I've only done it 2-3 times, but it's given me confidence and led to PRs every time.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks spaniel and Mike. Any week-of-5k workouts?  Tuesday is usually my interval day.  I've got a 5k on Saturday.  

I am still sore from Saturdays run (I think the heat/humidity made the effort a little more than the scoreboard shows). 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Thanks spaniel and Mike. Any week-of-5k workouts?  Tuesday is usually my interval day.  I've got a 5k on Saturday.  

I am still sore from Saturdays run (I think the heat/humidity made the effort a little more than the scoreboard shows). 

4X800 at 3000m race pace or a bit faster, relatively long recoveries.  If I were running them 2:15-2:20 I'd take 2:30-3:00 recovery, increase rest proportionally with repeat duration.  Or 6X400 same idea.  Good speed test but not enough repeats to do damage.

Thank you very much. 

esofen

Several of my favorites overlap with some of Spaniel's.  Here are some workouts that come to mind.

On the track:

5-7 x 1000 m at 5k-8k pace with 2ish minutes rest is my go-to workout

3 x 2000 m is often a good choice when preparing for a track 10k

One track workout that I remember doing in high school and have tried a couple times since then and have somewhat mixed feelings about is repeat 400s in lane 6.  Start from the proper starting line (the open-400 m staggered start), finish at the finish line, walk the ~40 m back to the staggered start, and go again.  I think we'd do 12 of these at a pace that was probably about 5k pace for me back then.  My problem with this workout is that it's hard to say what it's value is in terms of training specificity.  I think because of the short rest and relatively slow speed for the short intervals, it mainly serves as a strength workout.

On the roads, I'm also a big fan of the 5-7 mile progression run, dropping the pace by 10s each mile.  Unfortunately, around this neck of the woods, it's hard for me to find a route that doesn't include a few hundred feet of climbing, which can really mess up pacing.

Various hill workouts come to mind.  A favorite was run on a dirt road.  It was a ~800 m long hill that started out steep and got more gradual near the top.  Each interval consisted of 800 m up, then we'd turn around and come down 400 m, then walk/jog back to the bottom.  That last 400 m was good for both mental training, turnover, and form to teach you how to get moving after cresting a hill.

Feeling the growl again

3 x 2000 m is often a good choice when preparing for a track 10k

I occasionally toyed with interval workouts like 4X2000, 3X3000 and 3X3200.  My dream was to run 3X5K on 5-7min recovery sub-16 on each one...never prioritized it when I was in shape to do it.  The 2000 and 3000 workouts were my last 2 before my 10K PR, though I had to cut the last 3000 short at 2000.  In retrospect I was bordering on over-training at the time which was why.  On the razor's edge.

I didn't share hill workouts because those are very specific to where you run them.  If you ever read Chris Lear's "Sub-4" about Webb's single year at Michigan, you will read about the same hill workouts I used to do....and I didn't even know they were doing them too until I read the book, though I saw them around there occasionally.

Everything I have done since 2003 has been pretty much mirror flat.  Before then I had some hills to work with.  So that is the frame my workouts come from, though the wind here can make things very interesting.

kcam

I'm really a long plodder so my favorite workout is a marathon workout, Tinman's Big Workout.  For some reason it suits my running style and seems to make me fairly strong without tearing me down too badly.  I'll be starting these in the Fall once I push my long run to about 18  easy miles.

5mile warmup jog to the local track then 6X1600 at current half marathon race pace with 200m jog recovery, finish off with 5 smooth 200's (or 5 hill charges) and then cooldown the 5 miles back home.  I've been running marathons since '96 and have set actual PR's in my late 40's once I started doing these workouts.  

4X800 at 3000m race pace or a bit faster, relatively long recoveries.  If I were running them 2:15-2:20 I'd take 2:30-3:00 recovery, increase rest proportionally with repeat duration.  Or 6X400 same idea.  Good speed test but not enough repeats to do damage.

Thanks. Did it. Wasn't sure what my 3k pace was. For a baseline, I used my 5k PR (last December, 19:52) and my most recent 5k (20:27). 

Feeling the growl again

Thanks. Did it. Wasn't sure what my 3k pace was. For a baseline, I used my 5k PR (last December, 19:52) and my most recent 5k (20:27). 

I would trust the calculators to extrapolate a 5K to a 3K...good enough for gov't work...

How did it go?  How did it FEEL?

I felt fairly taxed, but not out of control.  I was eager for each interval's end, but not holding on for dear life.  If the recoveries had been shorter, I would not have completed the workout.  I felt like I finished the last one in as much control as the first one.  At a few points, I had to consciously remind my self to breathe deeply and stay relaxed.

When all is well, I can do 8 x 400 in 3 minutes each, with 90s rests. 

Feeling the growl again

I felt fairly taxed, but not out of control.  I was eager for each interval's end, but not holding on for dear life.  If the recoveries had been shorter, I would not have completed the workout.  I felt like I finished the last one in as much control as the first one.  At a few points, I had to consciously remind my self to breathe deeply and stay relaxed.

When all is well, I can do 8 x 400 in 3 minutes each, with 90s rests. 

Then all is well.

Except your last line, given your average pace in your log of 8:40ish/mile across all workouts, I somehow think you can do repeat quarters faster than 12:00 pace..... Wink