3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

October Racing Thread (Read 676 times)

Flatfooter,  10/7,   26.2,  Lakefront Marathon,  Milwaukee, WI,  <2:50

I've got the miles in but the speed work and racing this summer/fall has been sub par.  This goal may be a big stretch, but I guess we'll find out for sure on race day.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

WOW, another race!  You're an animal this fall.  10k on 9/3, 1/2 marathon on 9/22, 10k on 9/29 and now this....

Heh. The 10K on 9/3 was a disaster. The 1/2 was disappointing even though it was a PR because it was poorly run. I needed a well run race to give me a better idea of where I was. The 10K today did that. I'm happy with how it went even though it tells me I'm a little further behind than where I'd like to be.

The 15K trail race is part of a series I signed up for and is more for fun than anything else. No pressure on these, although I did kinda screw the last one up by pushing a little too hard.

I have a possible 1/2 marathon on 11/3 and I may try to throw in a 5K somewhere between then and now just for fun Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

an amazing likeness

Milktruck

10/6

Applefest Half

Hollis, NH

A goal = finish (streak)

B goal = 1:43:00 (course is hilly)

(I've heard this is one of the old-time "bucket list" races for the fall season in New England, sort of a companion to the Derry 16-miler in January.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

10/6 -- DINO Trail Series 15K, Avon, IN -- 1:30:00

The race has been cancelled due to the condition of the course after heavy rain. Bummer.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thinking maybe I'll do this race this afternoon since the DINO race was cancelled.

10/6 -- Wine at the Line 5 mile, Bargersville, IN -- 44:00 (PR is 44:52)

obsessor

Scratch my 10/20 50k at Palo Duro, TX. And thus the lack of motivation this week. Went out and ran a perfectly good ~26 miler, and place to cash in that stupid training. Else would have kept that long run more like 16 miles.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thinking maybe I'll do this race this afternoon since the DINO race was cancelled.

10/6 -- Wine at the Line 5 mile, Bargersville, IN -- 44:00 (PR is 44:52)

42:23

Not sure where that came from, but I'll gladly take it. Must have been the wine I had before the race. Big grin

Feeling the growl again

Not sure where that came from, but I'll gladly take it. Must have been the wine I had before the race. Big grin

Holy shit.

I can tell you where it came from....many hours of pounding the roads and paying your dues, along with the longer runs you have been doing some.  This is why I tell people, no matter how blah the summer running seems keep the faith, it pays off once the ideal weather hits in the fall.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good for you!

steph  

an amazing likeness

Milktruck

10/6

Applefest Half

Hollis, NH

A goal = finish (streak)

B goal = 1:43:00 (course is hilly)

I did finish, but...looked like some odd zombie creature while doing it with both calfs locked into full cramps.  Who would have thought that it could be 75F+ in October in NH?! Course wasn't as hilly as some made it sound, just brutal in layout, making up all the elevation given up from 1 - 6mi in one brutal section between 9 -11mi, and from 12.5 - 13. Became a pure 'just don't walk' mental game.

5K splits tell the tale: 24:42 / 24:37 / 24:34 / 26:49

1:47:46 (uggh)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

obsessor

18:46 for the 5k today. Mile splits were a little embarrassing. 4:56, 6:03, 7:03. I guess that is fun. It was fun.

WhoDat -- congrats on pulling one of out your ass!  A harbinger of good things to come.

MT -- this weather's been unpredictable.  Have you had calf (or cramping) issues before?  The Science of Sport guys recommend regular stretching.

obsessor -- dude, I wish I could bust a 4:56 mile, let alone keep going.  Hope you get your mojo back.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

18:46 for the 5k today. Mile splits were a little embarrassing. 4:56, 6:03, 7:03. I guess that is fun. It was fun.

Was the course mis-marked, or did you really (WTF!) run the first mile 54 seconds faster than you just recently did your 1-Mile Challenge final test?  Shocked

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obsessor

Downhill, with the wind, and likely mis-marked, but to be honest, it would definitely be faster than the mile trial I had the other day. I am still riding the wave of come-back improvements, too. If I am totally honest, I have almost never run my first mile of a 5k over 5 minutes. I am stupid that way. But five kays are for fun, so there is that. Marked right or wrong, it felt just "like that."

Prince of Fatness

But five kays are for fun

Run them with no watch, good times.

Not at it at all.