3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

October Racing Thread (Read 676 times)

obsessor

Run them with no watch, good times.

I know! I've ever been the advocate for that. However, I just used my watch

for interest, not for pacing (as you can see.)

Flatfooter,  10/7,   26.2,  Lakefront Marathon,  Milwaukee, WI,  <2:50

I've got the miles in but the speed work and racing this summer/fall has been sub par.  This goal may be a big stretch, but I guess we'll find out for sure on race day.

Didn't hit my goal.  Ended up running a 2:56:33.  Tried to hang on to a sub 2:50 pace for the first 7 or so.  I trashed my legs pretty good in the first half and the second half was just about hanging on an not losing any more time (which didn't work).  

I did learn a few lessons which made choosing to go for <2:50 instead of a smarter goal like just PR worth it even so.  I tried a few tricks with fueling/salt that seemed to eliminate cramps which is almost always a problem if I go out to fast.  This race also reinforced that I know what marathon pace feels like and the first few miles definitely did not feel like it today.  Lastly, I learned that I really should have focused more on recovery during this training cycle as my legs being constantly fatigued was limiting benefits of speed training and did not allow me to fully recover for the race even during taper.  

MTA- oh and the weather was perfect. 40's with 8 MPH wind at my back- I could not have asked for a better day for me to screw up my race!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive     Oct 7        F.A.T.S.  50K   Sumter National Forest, SC   <7:00  Just for fun.  

Oct 21     Army 10 Miler  DC    1:22  Husband wanted to do this one so...

My first DNF Smile

Lots off rocks, roots, ruts and up/dwns.  Woop-de-doos.  A bike guy's dream. 

I hated it.  Fell twice.  Caught my toe at mile 6 rolled onto my back.  My back hurts at left hip and my 
        third toe is purple and swollen.  Lots of walking after that for fear of falling. 

By the time that I got to the got to the last aid station with one 7 mile loop to go and 7:20 on the clock

I didn't see the point in continuing. 

So, I have learned that I don't like these type of trail runs.  I don't really like being enclosed by trees all 

day either.  By my self.  I'm thinking that I prefer open spaces.

steph  

DoppleBock

Wow - I am a road / TM warrior - But I am the opposite of you - I love the change of pace and the challenge of being on trails. 

Sorry the experience went poorly - Not all trail races are created equal - They have a rating system for hilliness (1-5) and rocky/rootiness (1-5)

1-1 = flat and smooth

3-3 = 2500 - 7500 feet of elevation change in 50 miles and moderately rocky and rooty

4-4 = 7500-12,500 feet of elevation change in 50 miles and very Rocky and Rooty

5-5 = 12,500+ feet and your feet and ankles better be bulletproof.

Heal up!

So, I have learned that I don't like these type of trail runs.  I don't really like being enclosed by trees all 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks DB!  

I think that either I'm doing something wrong (not lifting knees enough) or I'm the most un-coordinated person out around.

Good thing that the races I've signed up for through mid next year are much more smoothSmile

steph  

My first DNF Smile

Lots off rocks, roots, ruts and up/dwns.  Woop-de-doos.  A bike guy's dream. 

I hated it.  Fell twice.  Caught my toe at mile 6 rolled onto my back.  My back hurts at left hip and my 
              third toe is purple and swollen.  Lots of walking after that for fear of falling. 

By the time that I got to the got to the last aid station with one 7 mile loop to go and 7:20 on the clock

I didn't see the point in continuing. 

Sorry to hear this! Trail racing and road racing don't always go hand in hand. Like DB I absolutely LOVE the change of pace and the challenge that trails provide. I hope you don't let this one trail race keep you away from the trails. You might find that you actually like them Smile   

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks DB!  

I think that either I'm doing something wrong (not lifting knees enough) or I'm the most un-coordinated person out around.

Good thing that the races I've signed up for through mid next year are much more smoothSmile

I had the same problem with tripping. I remember one trail race I fell flat on my face/chin. I was surprised that I didn't knock some teeth out. I learned I just needed to work on lifting my feet up higher.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

I used to have more of a road shuffle stride - That is a dangerous stride for the trail.  To me the worst part of trails are when they are mostly smooth and they plant an obscure rock or root ... when I get lulled to sleep - then bam I trip.

Another big thing is on the road you can zone out - On the trail you have to pay attention.  Believe it or not the poeple (Not me) that run trails all the time can start to zone out a bit, because they start to see and process the hazzard automatically.

I still fall - In a 4 hour training run - I fall on average of 2 times ... races - usually more - usually toward the end when I am not able to pick up my feet, but I am still trying to run fastish.  Heck last time I did the Glacial 50 Mile (I did the 50k last year) - I fell 6 times in a 2 mile stretch, because I was talking to someone - tired and distracted are not a good combination.

I tend to leave 10-15 feet before the next runner - To give myself enough time to see - process and avoid rocks and roots. 

Thanks DB!  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks again, DB!  

Hey!  Pam!  Thanks and good to "see" you!

Yes, I'll definitely  work on lifting my feet.  

steph  

DoppleBock

We will see how many times I fall in the 50 mile race Sunday - Goal = 0, reality is likely 2-3.

Weather looks really decent - 50-55 ~ 80% humidity winds 15-20mph (Not as big of a deal in the woods)

I am still internally debating the handheld vs camelback ~ with the cool temps, the handheld is likely the better choice - Although a little less TP carrying capacity.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good luck with all of it!  

Ha - ha  that was one good thing I had going for me, I didn't need the TP I'd packedSmile

steph  

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Other than the fact that I can't run that far, there's another good reason I'll probably never do an ultra. I'm not pooping in the woods.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

obsessor

Other than the fact that I can't run that far, there's another good reason I'll probably never do an ultra. I'm not pooping in the woods.

You like pooping on the open road? I am not sure I agree with you there. The woods are much preferred.

We will see how many times I fall in the 50 mile race Sunday - Goal = 0, reality is likely 2-3.

Weather looks really decent - 50-55 ~ 80% humidity winds 15-20mph (Not as big of a deal in the woods)

I am still internally debating the handheld vs camelback ~ with the cool temps, the handheld is likely the better choice - Although a little less TP carrying capacity.

I never pack TP anymore.  You can always find some leaves.  Just make sure they come from trees not anything growing low to the ground.  Actually, during my first IAT 50 I believe you passed by as I was using some leaves.

I'm headed out today to Scottsbluff, NE to the inaugural Monument Marathon and half marathon. I am running the half still shooting for 1:50. I missed it three weeks ago by 5 mins.