3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who needs a hamster wheel (Read 974 times)

Everytime I see that Spaniel is posting in the TM thread, it makes me wonder what he did to destroy yet another treadmill.  That sucks about the motor.  Hope you can get it fixed and up and running soon.  In the meantime, you should have plenty of time on hand to get your track ready for July.  You know, mow, roll out the bumps, fill in the holes, measure out some lanes, etc.

Feeling the growl again

In the meantime, you should have plenty of time on hand to get your track ready for July.  You know, mow, roll out the bumps, fill in the holes, measure out some lanes, etc.

Heh.  Well, the grass is not 4 feet tall on it anymore, so I guess that is progress....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

C-R, you would be proud.  My wife was disappointed that her exercise would be disrupted as we wait another week or more for the replacement motor.  I tore into the two motors....got out the junk that had gotten into the new motor...and combined the intact fan housing from the back of the old motor with the good front part of the new motor to create Frankenmotor.

I have not torture-tested the machine yet but it's purring along more quietly than it has in months.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

C-R, you would be proud.  My wife was disappointed that her exercise would be disrupted as we wait another week or more for the replacement motor.  I tore into the two motors....got out the junk that had gotten into the new motor...and combined the intact fan housing from the back of the old motor with the good front part of the new motor to create Frankenmotor.

I have not torture-tested the machine yet but it's purring along more quietly than it has in months.

I like the effort.

So I broke down and got a Livestrong 15.0T from Dick's. Closeout and coupon'd so I don't feel any regrets. I plan to run this thing into the ground. Hopefully that is several years from now but Spaniel's recent experience scares me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I like the effort.

So I broke down and got a Livestrong 15.0T from Dick's. Closeout and coupon'd so I don't feel any regrets. I plan to run this thing into the ground. Hopefully that is several years from now but Spaniel's recent experience scares me.

Let me come over.  If it makes it through the weekend with me you are GTG.

Feeling the growl again

Yeah.  Except that it will not calibrate the incline so the incline no longer functions and it tries to recalibrate every time the machine is turned on.  So they are sending out a couple sensors for me to replace.

And, while it runs quieter, the problem with it not being able to go over ~9mph once it has warmed up is not fixed.  I'm going to replace the sensors...if it is not fixed, I am going to call them and be firm that it be escalated to the next level...actual NordicTrack people coming out and going through the machine (I talked to them about this last breakdown).  In 15 months of ownership it has never gone more than 4 weeks without a breakdown....it's time they either fix it once and for all (I am suspicious there is a hardware/software flaw in the main board at the root of all of this) or I am going to ask them to take it with them and give me a refund.

C-R

So I guess I will need to get it set-up by Saturday. Cool.

REFUND!

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Walk-Jogger

So, what do you do with your old treadmill, if you live in a space station that's orbiting the earth, and you have a new treadmill about to be delivered?

Space Station Treadmill to Become Space Junk. The device will fall to a fiery death on July 26.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

So, what do you do with your old treadmill, if you live in a space station that's orbiting the earth, and you have a new treadmill about to be delivered?

Space Station Treadmill to Become Space Junk. The device will fall to a fiery death on July 26.

what a coincidence, my Sole met a fiery end as well...

C-R

what a coincidence, my Sole met a fiery end as well...

Heh. We just watched that video. Still classic funny.

If not in space, Goodwill was a good drop for me today.

Now on to assembly.

Feeling the growl again

Went to replace incline sensor...turns out that in all the repair work it had come loose from the board.  However once this was plugged back in, the machine was completely non-functional.  All I can figure is that the board likely had issues all along, and plugging this back in finally separated something.

Treadmill #2 in 6 years toast.

I will give Nordic Track customer service points, however.  I called and ran through the entire litany of issues with the machine, including the final one.  After 5 minutes on hold they came back and offered to replace the machine.  No escalation, no fighting or even asking for that on my part (that's where I wanted to go with the call though).  So we will see if I really did just get a lemon of if I really am The Slayer of Treadmills.

C-R

Treadmill Terminator.

Went to replace incline sensor...turns out that in all the repair work it had come loose from the board.  However once this was plugged back in, the machine was completely non-functional.  All I can figure is that the board likely had issues all along, and plugging this back in finally separated something.

Treadmill #2 in 6 years toast.

I will give Nordic Track customer service points, however.  I called and ran through the entire litany of issues with the machine, including the final one.  After 5 minutes on hold they came back and offered to replace the machine.  No escalation, no fighting or even asking for that on my part (that's where I wanted to go with the call though).  So we will see if I really did just get a lemon of if I really am The Slayer of Treadmills.

Treadmill Terminator.

Werd.  Keep your valued appliances away from this guy!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

So I think 3-4 people here....mbehr, the Schneiders, and Happyfeet...bought the similar 1750 model at the same time I bought my 1500.  I'm curious if anyone has had issues, as I think the machines are more or less identical other than the console.  Candice just told me that they keep snapping off the bolts that hold the rear roller in place -- she thinks it is because they use the decline and this makes sense.  I'm concerned as I did plan to use incline/decline more going forward.  Someone of Candice's stature should not snap a bolt at 1% decline, though perhaps Ben stressed it for her.  Smile

My 1500 is fine so far, I put it back together recently after a move, and I can hear some noise, must be a loose bolt somewhere ( and I do have one bolt that I could not figure where it goes back on). However I probably only ran 500-600 miles on that thing over the last year, and nowhere near the pace that Spaniel, Ben or Candice run.  I think the NT is good for Hobby-joggers like me who plan to use it as a supplemental device to run on when on Kid duty.  Solid enough deck, the decline feature is why I picked that model, but have not used it much.