3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who needs a hamster wheel (Read 974 times)

Was it all a dream?

I thought I was reducing complexity by going with the simpler console.  Argh.

The tech who came out last time told me that in his experience the machines are solid and pretty trouble-free.....EXCEPT the consoles.  He says they have a software glitch in them and once they act up they are trash.  He says it is basically Russian roulette on whether you get a good one or a faulty one.  I conveyed this to the CS rep (stating that I did not know it to be truth but was what the tech told me).  She did not confirm or deny but said she had never seen 3 consoles replaced on one machine before.  So I am hopeful I get the empty chamber this time.  Smile

The 1750 console doesn't seem to be without issues either.  Hasn't been a problem recently, but a number of times the touchscreen has frozen on the start menu.  Cycling the power seems to provide the fix though.  Also, interestingly enough, Candice has found the treadmill doesn't track mileage if she tries to use her e-reader while running.  Not sure what's going on there.

So, I just ordered a pair of these wireless headphones to hook up to the TV.  I thought I would post in case anyone was interested in the idea or has experience with them.

They may work for you but with how much I sweat, that would be too much headphone for me.  I do like the wireless option though.  I've gone with simple ear buds when at the gym and only have problems with them staying in when I'm doing a harder workout and the sweat is coming out.

Being able to do the runs in the morning is huge.  Fortunately, my TM is tucked down in the basement and the noise doesn't make it up to the 2nd floor.  With your home layout...yeah, that's not an option.  For what it's worth, the youngest still wants a pole so he can slide down from upstairs.  Thanks for that!

You know, you could still have a good set-up in the garage.  Only downer is that it would not be very tolerable in the summer.

Feeling the growl again

They may work for you but with how much I sweat, that would be too much headphone for me.  I do like the wireless option though.  I've gone with simple ear buds when at the gym and only have problems with them staying in when I'm doing a harder workout and the sweat is coming out.

I thought of the weight/sweat but I decided to roll the dice and try.  But just having this discussion and you bringing up earbuds got me thinking.

So, 5 minutes of searching later I'm doing a facepalm.  The reason I had dismissed smaller/earbud options is that they were all Bluetooth and being a non-techie I never thought to check if they make a Bluetooth transmitter that you can plug into your TV.  Of course, they do.  And I could pair it with something like this

I could return what I already ordered, be better off, and same some cash in the process...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

mbehr, if this works it looks like I might owe you some beer.  Saved ~$100.  Alternate products ordered.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

The 1750 console doesn't seem to be without issues either.  Hasn't been a problem recently, but a number of times the touchscreen has frozen on the start menu.  Cycling the power seems to provide the fix though.  Also, interestingly enough, Candice has found the treadmill doesn't track mileage if she tries to use her e-reader while running.  Not sure what's going on there.

Yeah, the 1500 doesn't have the interference with other devices issue, but I do periodically get the machine locking up and needing to be turned off for a minimum of 15 minutes to reset it to a functional status.  It appears that is separate from whatever causes the console to eventually give out.

C-R

Well I killed mine last night. No laughing now but it was a ProForm and it managed to last about 8 years. Mind you I don't pound out the miles that a few of you do or the speeds but it worked out pretty well (especially since it was free from a family member that was using it as a clothes rack). Belt went and rear plastic guard basically crumpled.

Well that same family member got smart and uses a gym. I have no place to mooch a unit. I could find an old one and strip the parts I need and put it back together (which I might) but I wanted to get a better unit.

So I guess the NT Commercial 1500 is not on the happy list. Neither is the Sole. NT 1750 Commercial seems liked. Landice is way out of my price range. What is left to review? Oh and I will likely shop around at used stores and on Craigslist to buy (yes I am that damn cheap) but need to know what everyone here likes and I can keep an eye out.

Oh and I know spaniel and whodat would be up to move the damn thing once I get it. Beer and man food will be provided by me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Well I killed mine last night. No laughing now but it was a ProForm and it managed to last about 8 years. Mind you I don't pound out the miles that a few of you do or the speeds but it worked out pretty well (especially since it was free from a family member that was using it as a clothes rack). Belt went and rear plastic guard basically crumpled.

Well that same family member got smart and uses a gym. I have no place to mooch a unit. I could find an old one and strip the parts I need and put it back together (which I might) but I wanted to get a better unit.

So I guess the NT Commercial 1500 is not on the happy list. Neither is the Sole. NT 1750 Commercial seems liked. Landice is way out of my price range. What is left to review? Oh and I will likely shop around at used stores and on Craigslist to buy (yes I am that damn cheap) but need to know what everyone here likes and I can keep an eye out.

Oh and I know spaniel and whodat would be up to move the damn thing once I get it. Beer and man food will be provided by me.

The only thing I would touch Sole with is the business end of a 12-gauge.  Which reminds me, C-R, I have been saving that POS Sole for your stress relief.

Granted I have had lousy luck....4th console is now scheduled for tech installation after Thanksgiving...but I'm not ready to discount NordicTrack if you can't step up to a Landice.  With the exception of the display, and I have not yet concluded that my experience is anything but an outlier...I would consider either the 1500 or 1750 as options.  FWIW I know for a fact I would have blown the deck on a Sole with the mileage I have put on mine without lubing, it is still fine, guess I should get on that.

Used....price will be right, people usually get rid of TMs because they don't use them not because they are faulty...but they tend to be very cheap models.  But, you haven't been running on a Landice so maybe that is ok?  Total PIA to move fully assembled, would probably need to take apart.

If you end up needing to move one, my truck and labor are available if scheduling works out, I am away more than home for pretty much the rest of the year.  If you need the truck but not labor I can leave it out for you and hide a key.  It's got the camper top on it though, so if you get used you will need to take the console portion off to fit it in.

Fairly happy with my NT 1500, granted I don't put many miles on that  (10-15 MPW), nor run faster than 7:30 - 8:00 pace (more like 9:00 for the majority of the running) and I am 125 lbs soaking wet.  

The HR reading on that thing is crap even with a chest strap.  I think the TV interferes with it or something.  Also if I use my laptop on the console, the whole display goes blank, Treadmill is still running but I can't see anything, until I restart the whole darn machine.

NT 1750 Commercial seems liked.

Yup.  Have not had any problems worth fussing about.  The only problems have been minor that rebooting the system took care of. 

C-R

Cool. IN the meantime, I am having a $70 part delivered and take one last shot. Damn it all. I'm an engineer and if I can't fix this, it will be a stain on my existence in this universe.

Plus $70< $$1500. Did I mention I am frugal?

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

Cool. IN the meantime, I am having a $70 part delivered and take one last shot. Damn it all. I'm an engineer and if I can't fix this, it will be a stain on my existence in this universe.

Plus $70< $$1500. Did I mention I am frugal?

I know prices have been on the rise, but since when did a roll of duct tape cost $70?

C-R

Already tried duct tape and speed tape (it's distant cousin)

It's the damn solid molded piece of plastic that failed and the asshole that designed it, placed the weakest stress joint in a place where you can't graft on a decent repair or patch. Likely some moron that was used to working with metals and just figured that plastic can be used the same way and didn't consider that plastic degrades over time.

Either that or it was some brilliant Gordon Geko type that intentionally told his engineers to design it for failure to increase future year product sales.

Or I've been working on audits all day and my fun meter is fully pegged.

Feeling the growl again

Or I've been working on audits all day and my fun meter is fully pegged.

Then you're about ready to dive into a political thread.

C-R

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Other than the initial problem I had, my Livestrong has been running well for a year now. This is the one I have.

http://www.livestrongfitness.com/product/ls130t-treadmill

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.