3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Race Thread (Read 782 times)

The race was at 5:00 pm, so it was nice and hot (about 90 deg F).  I had a really good bike workout... 40 miles with 3 20 min intervals... so the legs were stiff and heavy.  My time was 23:20.  Slow, but surprisingly good enough for first in my AG.

Forgot I have one before this one. 

5/5 - Nashville, TN - Cinco de Mayo 5k - goal < 23 (I'll be doing about 40 miles on the bike before the race.)

Also, the date for the Cedars of Lebanon Tri is 5/19.

Good luck to you man! I'll give you the best advice I got... think only in 10 min blocks.  I started feeling overwhelmed when things got tough, but kept going back to that, and stayed focused on what I was doing, and 10 min ahead.  DO NOT keep thinking about how tough the run will be when you're on the bike.  Do that BEFORE the race and make your race plan, stick to it unless conditions make you change it. 

Also, pick points in the race where you take a mental picture of what is going on around you, and remember how awesome it is to be able to do this... and write it all down soon after you finish.  Not only for yourself, but for us... we want to hear all about it!  Crossing that finish is an incredible experience.

1st time poster to the hurtlocker....

KerCanDo70 - May 19 - Ironman Texas, The Woodlands, TX - 12:30:00

The truth is that I'll be happy with a finish that's 2+ hours slower than that time.

(On May 20, I may change my profile to KerCanDo140)

Wow! Nice work for a last minute substitute! You've got the speed, so I'd say your time is coming soon for an official win. 

No one showed up to run today.  Ended up stepping off the course with about 200m to go as I would have been the winner had I been "official".  I kept running easy way off to the side until I hit 13.1.  Didn't hit goal (1:18:21) but I let up quite a bit the last 4 miles or so.  Had about a 90sec-2 min lead at the turnaround.  Ended up being a solo run for all but the first 4 miles of it.  Got the attention of the lead bike guy with 4 miles to go and told him I wasn't official and didn't have a chip.  He then dropped back to get the next guy who ended up finishing a couple of minutes back as the overall winner.  Took the singlet with the # off with a mile to go and let up like I was on a regular run as I approached the finish.  Kinda sucks I didn't get to call it an official win.

And if you'd been official 3 1:12 guys would have shown up....

Good rust buster though, right?

Yeah, that probably would have been the case.  It was actually kind of nice to go out with no expectations and just run to run.  I finished feeling pretty good.  Considering the dismal March training, I'm happy with the run.  A few more long runs and I'll be right there in the mix.  I'm just glad the lower legs are holding out for me.

A nice run mbehr, too bad you couldn't claim the win.

I was registered for the Indy Mini Marathon but not able/willing to attempt a HM with my recent injury.  I did the 5k for fun instead and finished in 19:36

Brian Kraft 5k May 26th < 19

I don't know if I can do that but I should probably try.

an amazing likeness

I'm off to Canada for some Molson and colorful money....

Blue Nose Half Marathon

May 20

Halifax, Nova Scotia

goal: Real goal is to keep my half marathon-per month streak alive. Just jogging around the city. Probably run a 1:41 or so.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

I'm off to Canada for some Molson and colorful money....

Blue Nose Half Marathon

May 20

Halifax, Nova Scotia

goal: Real goal is to keep my half marathon-per month streak alive. Just jogging around the city. Probably run a 1:41 or so.

Good luck and make sure you drink the good stuff, not the low ABV stuff they kick across the border...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Mother's Day 5K was a DNS for me - didn't get back from Ragnar at the Cape until 2 AM that morning, and was still asleep at home when the race began. Slept right through the alarm. 

Also just realized I never posted my Broad Street result - 1:40:11, on what felt to me like a really warm day. 

May 20th Green Bay Marathon    Goal  Sub 3:30

Good luck this weekend!  Go get 'em.

C-R

DNS. Three days of GI issues = more trips to the loo than miles, doesn't make for race conditions. Decided to man-up and at least try to run 13.1 via the tm. Only managed a little over 7 before everything fell appart, so a good call on my part but it pisses me off.

I blame Trent.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hey guys, been a little out of it and forgot to post this. 

I ran 40:41 today; was going for sub-40.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

But that was a PR, right?? Like by a few seconds...?

But that was a PR, right?? Like by a few seconds...?

Yeah. Just not my day. There will be other races.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yeah. Just not my day. There will be other races.

But still, a good day.

steph