3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Race Thread (Read 782 times)

Yeah. Just not my day. There will be other races.

That's the fun (and disappointment) of running.  Despite the "bumps in the road" there are bigger and better goal in mind.  Oh, and I'd take "just not my day" and a new PR anytime.  Nice run Nads. 

Now what was that the end that cost you a few seconds?

That's the fun (and disappointment) of running.  Despite the "bumps in the road" there are bigger and better goal in mind.  Oh, and I'd take "just not my day" and a new PR anytime.  Nice run Nads. 

Now what was that the end that cost you a few seconds?

Thanks, Mike. It just wasn't clear to me where the chute started, so I ran along side it. The timing guy was like no no no, go back. It's cool.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

But still, a good day.

Thank you, TeaOlive.

Feeling the growl again

Yeah. Just not my day. There will be other races.

I really, really wish I could have an off day and still run a PR... Wink

Nice run...and I understand the disappointment despite the PR.  Been there.  You'll get it next time, you are on a roll.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I really, really wish I could have an off day and still run a PR... Wink

Nice run...and I understand the disappointment despite the PR.  Been there.  You'll get it next time, you are on a roll.

Thanks. You're right. And really, in life's bigger picture, we are blessed to be out there running and in good health.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks. You're right. And really, in life's bigger picture, we are blessed to be out there running and in good health.

Yes.  So true.

steph  

CliveF -- 5/12 -- Run Wild 5k -- 20:15

CliveF -- 5/20 -- Biltmore-Kiwanis Classic 15k -- sub-1:05

Run Wild 5k -- finally got my sub-20 ticket punched, with a snappy 19:43 (9OA, 1AG).  Raced with a faster friend, went out quicker than I thought prudent, hung on anyway, and never died.  (Oh, and outkicked him -- hehe.)

Biltmore Classic -- 64:18, 17OA, 2AG.  Monster hills.  Sub-64:30 was the "elated" goal, and sub-64 was the if-the-planets-align goal.  I'm elated.

Special tip o' the cap to Nader.  I was slightly off my target for the 5k split in my 15k this morning, nearly 50sec behind at the 10k split, and feeling legs-sinking-into-the-quicksand just after that.  Then I thought about Nader busting 90min in the HM and his sub-20 final 5k to get it.  I'm not in that kind of shape, but I used it to motivate myself to a 20:20 last 5k, claw back some time, hold off a chase pack, and catch/pass three people.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Run Wild 5k -- finally got my sub-20 ticket punched, with a snappy 19:43 (9OA, 1AG).  Raced with a faster friend, went out quicker than I thought prudent, hung on anyway, and never died.  (Oh, and outkicked him -- hehe.)

Biltmore Classic -- 64:18, 17OA, 2AG.  Monster hills.  Sub-64:30 was the "elated" goal, and sub-64 was the if-the-planets-align goal.  I'm elated.

Way to go, man.  Times two.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Special tip o' the cap to Nader.  I was slightly off my target for the 5k split in my 15k this morning, nearly 50sec behind at the 10k split, and feeling legs-sinking-into-the-quicksand just after that.  Then I thought about Nader busting 90min in the HM and his sub-20 final 5k to get it.  I'm not in that kind of shape, but I used it to motivate myself to a 20:20 last 5k, claw back some time, hold off a chase pack, and catch/pass three people.

I am honored! Congrats on an amazing weekend, Clive.

I am honored! Congrats on an amazing weekend, Clive.

Surfing through your training log just now, I see the brisk final-5km was not in your sub-90, but in your 90:11 effort.  Glad I remembered it wrong!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hey guys, been a little out of it and forgot to post this. 

I ran 40:41 today; was going for sub-40.

Your progress over the last year has been quite impressive. Based on your 5K times I'm confident you'll get a sub-40 soon. Keep it up!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That's awesome. Congratulations!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Your progress over the last year has been quite impressive. Based on your 5K times I'm confident you'll get a sub-40 soon. Keep it up!

Thanks! Here's to hoping! 

Slo

May 20th Green Bay Marathon    Goal  Sub 3:30

Course closed at 9:35, 2 hrs and 35 mins into the race due to heat.

At mile 7 I started to consider the game day option of running the half instead of the full, at mile 10 I made my decision and followed the Half marathon course. (they would allow this and still give you an official time rather than a DNF)

At mile 12 I turned around and headed back to find my SIL to make sure she wasn't in trouble...she was running her first half, eventually found her and ran her in for a 2:22 finish. My time was 2:25.

My avg pace thru 5 miles was 8:01, thru 10 miles it dropped to 8:12. I feel like given perfect conditions a 3:25 was in reach but for the conditions we had that day I would have been lucky to get under 4.

I opted for the half, this way I can skip the recovery and get onto some serious training. (wuss Wink Wink

May 20th Green Bay Marathon    Goal  Sub 3:30

Course closed at 9:35, 2 hrs and 35 mins into the race due to heat.

At mile 7 I started to consider the game day option of running the half instead of the full, at mile 10 I made my decision and followed the Half marathon course. (they would allow this and still give you an official time rather than a DNF)

At mile 12 I turned around and headed back to find my SIL to make sure she wasn't in trouble...she was running her first half, eventually found her and ran her in for a 2:22 finish. My time was 2:25.

My avg pace thru 5 miles was 8:01, thru 10 miles it dropped to 8:12. I feel like given perfect conditions a 3:25 was in reach but for the conditions we had that day I would have been lucky to get under 4.

I opted for the half, this way I can skip the recovery and get onto some serious training. (wuss Wink Wink

Smart.  Very smart.  Drink, drink, drink...