3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June Racing Thread (Read 816 times)

19:31 official results (guntime only; 19:29 net).

Screwed up in the 2nd km, probably cost myself a 19:20-low.  But a PR, baby!

Nice run! Take the net time and enjoy the PR. With it being so early in the season, you won't have to worry about what those two seconds mean when you're in the low-19's or into the 18's. Yes, you have that in you!

Because it's C-R, I'll make this difficult:

CliveF -- 6/15 -- Summer Solstice 4-Mile -- Davidson NC -- Goal = ...

1. I managed to persuade the local training group to have a prediction-based competition -- the race within a race, as it were.  I'll fine-tune my prediction as the date nears, the weather is better known, and the course map comes out.  For now, I'll stick with sub-26 sub-27.
      2. Never raced a 4-mile before, so getting a PR is what we call a "soft" goal.
      3. (outlandish) My best age-graded result was the 5k a couple weeks ago -- 74.14%.  If the stars align and the Running Gods smile, I'd like to run better than 74.14% age-graded; that's a 25:47.

MTA: I found out the course, and it turns out to be trails.  Goals adjusted as above.

After being such a tool about this race-thread entry, I've decided to volunteer instead of run it.  So DNS, Scratch, or whatever.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I didn't post it... because it was totally unplanned, but here's a report on my Jun 2 race.  It was one of the most awesome races I've ever done.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/6031ed1c293a4d8c85393acf12eb43f2#focus

I'm doing a double for the first time this weekend (nothing crazy like two MARATHONS though):

Jun 16 - Monster Triathlon (Sprint) 200 yd swim/16.3 mile bike/3 mile run - Pulaski, TN - Goal = < 1:14; AG place

Jun 17 - Music City DuRunRun (2 mi run/10 mi bike/ 2 mi run) - Goal = < 58 min; AG place

DoppleBock

In typical fashion I have not slept much the last 2 nights as I came down with the flu - I knew I did not feel right before the 18 mile trail run Tuesday - It was cool and I still sweated like it was 90.  Last night was "Get hit my Mack truck night"

Today - I am feeling better.

I am blaming Candice as she has passed he no sleep-i-ness to me.

I will do my best to be in prime beer drinking shape by Saturday morning.

The 1/2 will be a interesting experiment.  I did 5 speed workouts before Carmel 4/21 and one light one Monday (6/11) - That's pretty much it since November - Just a lot of slow fat burning miles.  But my weight will be 200-205# race day ~ This is the range that I set all my PRs at.  So how fast can I run with good aerobic conditioning (Tons of slow miles) and reasonable weight ?

Of course between FANS 13 days prior and this little sicky episode - It may not be a fair experiment.  But I do think I will be able to go reasonable hard Saturday.  My brain is telling me 6:24-6:27.  My body will do what ever it does.  If I would have done 3 months of speed and were this weight ~ I would hope to be 1:19 - 1:20.  I do not think you can get to your fastest without doing speed.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Nice doubling plan Tony, good luck!

DB, I agree you can't go your fastest without speed but a monster base can take you pretty far up the throttle range without needing speed.  To some extent excess mileage CAN replace some speed work.  On 100mpw I'd start out racing 5Ks in 16-low and 8X800 workouts in 2:28-2:29, then work down to 15:30s and 2:20-2:22s through a couple months of speed work.  Now on 50-ish mpw I can layer on all the speedwork I want but I can't hit the 16-low/2:28s.  I think you can do it with the weight gone.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

That is why I find this an intersting experiment

When I set my 1/2 PR ~ It was in 2010 right after the 929 mile March and in the middle of the 750 mile April - During a 180+ mile week.  In 2010 I was making an attempt to do 2 speed workouts each week with that mileage - Often they went badly, sometime not.  I was doing 30 miles with 4x2 miles @ 1/2M or 5x5 minutes @ 5 mile pace at the end.

I would be suprised if I break 1:24 and I will be suprised if I am over 1:27.  Then I look forward to a summer of molding that base into something faster.

Nice doubling plan Tony, good luck!

DB, I agree you can't go your fastest without speed but a monster base can take you pretty far up the throttle range without needing speed.  To some extent excess mileage CAN replace some speed work.  On 100mpw I'd start out racing 5Ks in 16-low and 8X800 workouts in 2:28-2:29, then work down to 15:30s and 2:20-2:22s through a couple months of speed work.  Now on 50-ish mpw I can layer on all the speedwork I want but I can't hit the 16-low/2:28s.  I think you can do it with the weight gone.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Holy hell am I glad I opted out of the ultra this weekend.  Running it in the 80s as I was expecting out have been one thing but now they're talking 90s...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Finished up the Wasatch Back Relay yesterday afternoon- team rocked it, took second place after being fourth last year.  We finished the 197 miles in around 19h49m.

I ran leg 7 (4 miles), in 21:48.  Went through 2 miles in ~10:42, and considering my training, I have no idea how I pulled this run off.

leg 19 : (map says 3.6, but i talked to a guy who gps'd it at 4.1 miles) - 26:50 for being all up hill.  didn't put everything i had into this one, some of the hills were brutal and my lack of training started to show up.

leg 31: (4.1 miles)  - ran it in 23:35, which was quite a bit faster than i expect considering that I felt like total sh*t at this point.

so grand total of 12.2 miles (with the second leg being counted as 4.1, which i think is accurate) in 1:12:13, averaging 5:55 per mile.

good weekend for myself and the team overall.

Monster Tri - 2nd place AG (1:17:33 Total time) Very hilly bike course. Achieved a new max speed of 46.8 mph on one of the descents.

DuRunRun - 4th place AG; 13th OA (56:55)  This time would have been first in my AG last year.  Flat, fast bike course, but legs just didn't have the power after hitting the hills hard yesterday.  (Avg 21 mph on Sat at Monster Tri, and 22 mph Sun at DuRunRun.)

I'm doing a double for the first time this weekend (nothing crazy like two MARATHONS though):

Jun 16 - Monster Triathlon (Sprint) 200 yd swim/16.3 mile bike/3 mile run - Pulaski, TN - Goal = < 1:14; AG place

Jun 17 - Music City DuRunRun (2 mi run/10 mi bike/ 2 mi run) - Goal = < 58 min; AG place

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Tony and Dickey, good job to both of you!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Tony and Dickey, good job to both of you!

+1!

Wow Tony, that's some descent.  I hit 55 on one once, I was flying by people...it was a rush, I thought they were just scared and riding the brakes.  Turned out they probably knew there was a nearly 90 degree turn at the bottom before a very short run into the transition area.  I didn't.

Oops.  Almost had to change my shorts on that one.  Oh, to be young, indestructible (and stupid) again...

I ran 1:28:34 at Bjorkland. Not really my goal but it was still a 19 second PR, so I have to be happy with that. Haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately and the schedule has been screwed up at least once per week in the past month when i'm just too tired to run what i'm supposed to run. And i've gained like 3 lbs since Boston....with lack of sleep comes me stuffing myself with food I don't need.

All of that considered, I think a 19 second PR is good. I sort of faded toward the end but I expected to.

19 seconds is very respectable, considering you went sub-90 this year.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

EYS 5k

Saddle Brook, NJ

Goals: 1OA and PR

I've raced this young, local race 2 of the 4 years it's been run. I came in 2nd and 3rd those years.  My friends are mocking me to no end over my inability to win.  There's a 4:52 miler in it this year.  His 5k PR is 17:40. But since it's a 10:30 start, he might melt and I might not.  You never know. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus