3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June Racing Thread (Read 816 times)

Thanks Andy,

Wow, did you make the turn?! There was a 90 deg at the bottom of one of the hills and I KNEW about it and still almost didn't make it.  I'm pretty uncomfortable having those skinny tires lock up and slide!

+1!

Wow Tony, that's some descent.  I hit 55 on one once, I was flying by people...it was a rush, I thought they were just scared and riding the brakes.  Turned out they probably knew there was a nearly 90 degree turn at the bottom before a very short run into the transition area.  I didn't.

Oops.  Almost had to change my shorts on that one.  Oh, to be young, indestructible (and stupid) again...

Congrats Candice! 19 sec PR is better than running the exact same time twice ... which both you and I have done.

I ran 1:28:34 at Bjorkland. Not really my goal but it was still a 19 second PR, so I have to be happy with that. Haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately and the schedule has been screwed up at least once per week in the past month when i'm just too tired to run what i'm supposed to run. And i've gained like 3 lbs since Boston....with lack of sleep comes me stuffing myself with food I don't need.

All of that considered, I think a 19 second PR is good. I sort of faded toward the end but I expected to.

Nice work Dickey!

Finished up the Wasatch Back Relay yesterday afternoon- team rocked it, took second place after being fourth last year.  We finished the 197 miles in around 19h49m.

I ran leg 7 (4 miles), in 21:48.  Went through 2 miles in ~10:42, and considering my training, I have no idea how I pulled this run off.

leg 19 : (map says 3.6, but i talked to a guy who gps'd it at 4.1 miles) - 26:50 for being all up hill.  didn't put everything i had into this one, some of the hills were brutal and my lack of training started to show up.

leg 31: (4.1 miles)  - ran it in 23:35, which was quite a bit faster than i expect considering that I felt like total sh*t at this point.

so grand total of 12.2 miles (with the second leg being counted as 4.1, which i think is accurate) in 1:12:13, averaging 5:55 per mile.

good weekend for myself and the team overall.

Thanks Steph!

Tony and Dickey, good job to both of you!

Not to be all "You can do it!", but we've got some strong performances this week/month.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Good work everybody! Looks like some very good races this month.

Believe it or not, my room mate just talked me into another relay race this weekend - thankfully it's not nearly as far, but it might be just as hard, if not harder due to having less rest.

Race- To Bone and Back (40 mile relay)

Place- Idaho

Goal A- Win the race (team wise)

Goal B- Don't die

I'm still sore from the Ragnar Relay, so this could get really really ugly.

Feeling the growl again

Good work everybody! Looks like some very good races this month.

Believe it or not, my room mate just talked me into another relay race this weekend - thankfully it's not nearly as far, but it might be just as hard, if not harder due to having less rest.

Race- To Bone and Back (40 mile relay)

Place- Idaho

Goal A- Win the race (team wise)

Goal B- Don't die

I'm still sore from the Ragnar Relay, so this could get really really ugly.

I'm still kind of ticked that you get to be in Idaho, much less race there, but I will still wish you luck Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

Bands on Run Half Marathon

June 24

Lewiston, ME

goal: 1:38:45 PR  (if at first you don't succeed, try, try again...)

Nope. Need to scale this back...reset to DNS or 1:45:00.  Been fighting injury for the past 3 weeks and haven't been able to run over 5 miles or run back-to-back days. If I do make it to the start, just learned that the course includes some slower sections, runner's guide came out today and says:

Near mile 8.4 (at Libby Ave) runners will leave the road, get on a narrow trail, and run along a set of operational railroad tracks for a short distance before getting back onto the road. From mile 9.2 to 10.6 runners will encounter a stretch of single track trail with lots of roots and rocks and a wooden bridge crossing. This section of the course is fairly hilly.

I'm not even sure what they mean by "run along a set of operational railroad tracks..".  Does that mean in the stones sloped down from the tracks...who knows. Single track?  I don't mind...but I thought it was a road race. Confused

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I'm still kind of ticked that you get to be in Idaho, much less race there, but I will still wish you luck Wink

Yeah, certain parts of Idaho aren't too bad, the place where we ran sort of reminded me of where I grew up in Utah.

As for the race, I was only given one of the eight 5 mile legs to run, so I was able to run it all out.  On that note, it was also almost all downhill.  Over the 5 miles I believe I lost around 1200-1300 feet of elevation.  Because of this I was able to run this quite a bit faster than I would've normally.

I didn't catch all my splits, but I did hit 2 miles in 9:26 and 3 miles in 14:32 and finished up my five miles in around 25:20.

Luckily I had a pair of Hoka Stinsons to wear, otherwise I have a feeling I'd be even more sore than I am now...

This was a very fun run.  If anybody is ever out in Idaho Falls over this particular weekend next year, I highly recommend this relay.  Not only is it a lot of fun, the team division winners all won $200 to split with their team members.  It was well done and well worth the entry fee.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

6/23 Bad Marsh Night Ultra 50k      Beaufort, SC   <7    

Garmin time:  6:47.

I enjoyed running the first 4 laps or so with runnerclay.  Good job Ron!

I don't like running in the dark...At all.   Slowed considerably after dark.   Combine that with

being tired and sore...not a pretty picture.  MTA:  Very hot and humid.  

This is a flat course on an old golf cart path.  A very well run and organized race.

MTA:  Official time:  6:46.   90F / 84% at 6:00pm start.

steph  

an amazing likeness

Bands on Run Half Marathon

June 24

Lewiston, ME

goal: 1:38:45 PR  (if at first you don't succeed, try, try again...)

Nope.  1:50:33.

Wackiest course one can imagine....part urban streets, part rail-to-trail, part single-track and pretty technical (took a tumble) with steep walk-em hills. There were two waves at the start, and they started the slower part of the pack (speaking generally) first -- so by the time we hit the single-track sections, those coming from behind were constantly held up.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

C-R

In honor of the friggin Olympics I am giving three beers (Gold, Silver, Bronze) this month.

Gold - Tea Olive for a 13 imute 50K improvement in what had to be some nasty heat in SC. - Chimay Blue

Silver - Tony P for his double - La Fin Du Monde

Bronze - CliveF for the 5k PR - Bells Two Hearted

Well done and you can come pick up your awards at the Spaniel Beer Mile in 7/14. If you don't show, we'll drink it for ya.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

In honor of the friggin Olympics I am giving three beers (Gold, Silver, Bronze) this month.

Gold - Tea Olive for a 13 imute 50K improvement in what had to be some nasty heat in SC. - Chimay Blue

Well done and you can come pick up your awards at the Spaniel Beer Mile in 7/14. If you don't show, we'll drink it for ya.

Thanks, C-R!  But actually the first 50k was a fat ass and 35 miles:  Over all pace-12:26.   The second was a 50k / 32miles @12:42.

But drink up all you beer milers!  Have a great time running and drinking!  

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Holy crap, you dish out the good stuff.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Andy,

Wow, did you make the turn?! There was a 90 deg at the bottom of one of the hills and I KNEW about it and still almost didn't make it.  I'm pretty uncomfortable having those skinny tires lock up and slide!

Sorry Tony, I just caught this reply.

Yes, I did make it, I was within an inch or two of the pavement edge on the outside of the turn.  The tires were locking and skidding intermittently but I managed to feather the brakes to stay somewhat under control.   The marshall at the entrance to the transition area was a bit angry with me for the speed I was carrying in but he softened up when he apparently noticed how white my face was.