3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I Am Curmudgeon -- Get Off My Lawn (Read 48 times)

Feeling the growl again

I don't know, am I alone?

I miss the days of "last minute" Boston qualifiers in February.  Registering for Chicago in August because you just figured out you were in awesome shape.

Now, if you plan to run a major race you'd better plan to register 6-12 months in advance.

I know Boston has had issues to deal with this year, but announcing <2 weeks in advance that they'd moved the registration process up by several weeks was a bit unpleasant.  I don't hold it against BAA because I don't know what they had to deal with but in general over the years it has suffered the same trend as other races...commit large amounts of money long before you know if you will be in competitive shape or no dice.

I love Boston, if there are spots open on 9/23 I will happily register.  But I think I am about done with large races and will be focusing on medium/small races in the future where I can make sure I will actually be in shape before plopping down money.  I Am Curmudgeon and I miss the days when that was the norm...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

I don't know, am I alone?

Nope.

Nope.

Nope. Although you may miss out on quality competition you can eliminate a lot of other factors that would prevent you from racing well.

xhristopher

Having only run the last three Boston's I don't know those days. I too like smaller races that are about running and not a circus. Fortunately I live near Boston and have mastered the logistics so, while it's a big race, I sidestep the negatives. That said, It seemed plainly clear at the end of April that registration for 2014 would be the hottest ticket in running, none of us would be getting any handouts, the qualification window for those without BQs would be narrow, and registration would be unpredictable. It's a perfect storm.

I say if you don't get in just chalk it up to being a "perfect storm," not look for any deeper meaning, and move on knowing it will probably still be there long after your gone.

Looking at the calendar I see options for this week and next within a 6 hour drive of IN. For example, there's a race in Canton Sunday. Head on over, soak in a 2:54 long run, make it home before dinner, and then decide.

Slo

Nope not alone at all. Outside of an Ironman, I have never signed up for an event that far in advance nor would I anymore.

I have not done a major race and really have no intentions to do so. The Twin Cities Marathon was the largest event I've done.

I like keeping the logistics simple. I like easy access to the beer tapper and I like knowing my car is only a few blocks away so the smaller venues suit me just fine.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I like keeping the logistics simple. I like easy access to the beer tapper and I like knowing my car is only a few blocks away so the smaller venues suit me just fine.

I'm with ya too, Spaniel. I don't remember those days well, I only got back into this 5 years ago, but what you describe is what got me raving to IRL friends about the Brew Run in Cape Cod a few weeks ago.  Same weekend as the Falmouth Road Race, 20 minutes away, register 2 days before race day, and no logistical hassles or stupid-big crowds.  The only thing Falmouth has going for it is the top finishers' prize money. And since I'm not winning that, I'd rather have the random shot at the gift cards the Brew Run gives away to every 25th finisher.

Feeling the growl again

Having only run the last three Boston's I don't know those days. I too like smaller races that are about running and not a circus. Fortunately I live near Boston and have mastered the logistics so, while it's a big race, I sidestep the negatives. That said, It seemed plainly clear at the end of April that registration for 2014 would be the hottest ticket in running, none of us would be getting any handouts, the qualification window for those without BQs would be narrow, and registration would be unpredictable. It's a perfect storm.

I say if you don't get in just chalk it up to being a "perfect storm," not look for any deeper meaning, and move on knowing it will probably still be there long after your gone.

Looking at the calendar I see options for this week and next within a 6 hour drive of IN. For example, there's a race in Canton Sunday. Head on over, soak in a 2:54 long run, make it home before dinner, and then decide.

I think you're misreading me if you think I was looking for handouts or sympathy (this is the Hurtlocker after all).  I agree it was totally clear that qualification would be unique this year.  I, like everyone else, had a chance to run a May race to qualify...and I did...it just happened to coincide with the worst of my injury.  That was on me.

As I said, I don't hold it against BAA, I doubt they planned to announce the moved-up date only days in advance.  I'm sure there were good reasons.  I wasn't even complaining particularly about Boston 2014; this particular experience just caused me to think back a decade to when one never even thought of registering so far in advance for any race.

Thanks for looking up Canton; it didn't (and still doesn't) show up on the map I was referencing.  Registration closes tonight so I'm going to have to think hard about how badly I want this and run it past the family.  If I end up doing it and qualifying, your first beer after Boston will be on me.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

xhristopher

Boston, Canton, Beer

Didn't see it as complaint. Rather, I believe the 2014 Boston will be an anomaly in many ways and we shouldn't consider it a new norm. Give it a few years and, while it won't ever be back to "normal," it will be predictable.

This fall I'm trying to stay steady and fresh so I can roll into some good and focused training over the winter and give it my all at Boston. It's likely Boston 2014 may have the strongest field of any race I ever run. And that's exactly why you should be there. Get yourself in the door now, keep healing, improve your seeding this fall, and train hard over the winter, then run with a deep field next spring.

Oh, and that beer will end up going to WG as she pointed Canton out to mbehr elsewhere. Just swap weekends away and it will be the same impact on the family.

Feeling the growl again

Didn't see it as complaint. Rather, I believe the 2014 Boston will be an anomaly in many ways and we shouldn't consider it a new norm. Give it a few years and, while it won't ever be back to "normal," it will be predictable.

This fall I'm trying to stay steady and fresh so I can roll into some good and focused training over the winter and give it my all at Boston. It's likely Boston 2014 may have the strongest field of any race I ever run. And that's exactly why you should be there. Get yourself in the door now, keep healing, improve your seeding this fall, and train hard over the winter, then run with a deep field next spring.

Oh, and that beer will end up going to WG as she pointed Canton out to mbehr elsewhere. Just swap weekends away and it will be the same impact on the family.

I'm pitching it to the DW over lunch shortly.  I'm not exactly happy with eating an extra $100 registration and hotel room, but the idea is growing on me.

And, you'd still get your beer because you're the one who pointed it out to me, I didn't see the other exchange.  Smile

Thanks for looking up Canton; it didn't (and still doesn't) show up on the map I was referencing.  Registration closes tonight so I'm going to have to think hard about how badly I want this and run it past the family.  If I end up doing it and qualifying, your first beer after Boston will be on me.  Smile

But they have registration available at the expo.  I have a good friend that was planning on the Fox Valley Marathon but since that is on the 22nd, her odds for trying to get in on the 23rd were probably marginal.  We were down to either Canton, OH or Elroy, WI.  Fortunately the Elroy, WI marathon just got their course certification posted today, so that is the one we're going to.  I talked to the RD last week and there are about 70 or so people signed up for the marathon.  It's on a flat, rails to trail type course.  $70 race day registration too.  Gotta love small town races!

Since we were going to be in Madison this weekend to cheer on the SIL at the Ironman, we can head up to the marathon on Saturday and still get the IM on Sunday.  It's all falling into place nicely.

Feeling the growl again

After a half an hour in Active.com hell, I'm now running a marathon on Sunday.  Taper time, I guess...

xhristopher

But they have registration available at the expo.  I have a good friend that was planning on the Fox Valley Marathon but since that is on the 22nd, her odds for trying to get in on the 23rd were probably marginal.  We were down to either Canton, OH or Elroy, WI.  Fortunately the Elroy, WI marathon just got their course certification posted today, so that is the one we're going to.  I talked to the RD last week and there are about 70 or so people signed up for the marathon.  It's on a flat, rails to trail type course.  $70 race day registration too.  Gotta love small town races!

Since we were going to be in Madison this weekend to cheer on the SIL at the Ironman, we can head up to the marathon on Saturday and still get the IM on Sunday.  It's all falling into place nicely.

I've got family in Elroy and have biked the rail trails around there. It's going to be good for steady pacing but I always find the tunnels to be weird since they play with my sense of equilibrium. It gets dark quick and you can't see anything but the ends of the tunnel. There is a reason they tell you to walk your bikes through them. Hopefully it's easier to run through them. I don't want to give you reason to waste time but, if convenient, you might practice running through one before the race. Perhaps a throw away flashlight would be helpful too. Good luck!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

After a half an hour in Active.com hell, I'm now running a marathon on Sunday.  Taper time, I guess...

Good luck, Spaniel!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

Good luck, Spaniel!

Thanks, I'll need it.

xhristopher

I'm not qualified to offer you running advice but I'll say this ... Do what you need to do in order to punch your ticket so the real racing can happen next spring.

Good luck!