3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Text exchange with the wife (Read 494 times)

Feeling the growl again

Me:  I want to run the Leadville 100-mile race one year.

Her:  Uhhh.

Me:  ??

<<no reply>>

Me:  9000 ft up to 12000 ft

Her:  Once again, uhhhh.

Me:  Not next year, but some time.

Her:  : I

Me:  You get a really cool belt buckle for under 25 hours!

Not no is yes, right??

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Not no is yes, right??

Yes.  I'm experienced at this so I know.

Not at it at all. 

You guys are both wrong. Not no does not mean yes. It means "I'm not gonna stand in your way of this, but i'm going to make you feel guilty about it and make sure I deep sigh every time it's brought up." Basically, it means "I'm going to make this as tough as possible for you, but you do what you want."

Just sayin, you know...as a woman.

C-R

Pitch it as a chance to take the family to Colorado for some clean air, pretty views and vacation time before/after the race and you are solid.

Works every time.

And I didn't see any objection from the texts, but knowing your better half I expect you need never mention that you're tired or sore or hurting while training. Unless of course you enjoy wearing whatever is closest to being thrown as a hat.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Seanv2

Me:  I want to run the Leadville 100-mile race one year.

Her:  Uhhh.

Me:  ??

<<no reply>>

Me:  9000 ft up to 12000 ft

Her:  Once again, uhhhh.

Me:  Not next year, but some time.

Me:  You get a really cool belt buckle for under 25 hours!

Not no is yes, right??

I had a similar conversation with my wife this weekend, except mine ended with a clearer decision of "you can go be stupid if you want to, but I'm not coming."

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

You guys are both wrong. Not no does not mean yes. It means "I'm not gonna stand in your way of this, but i'm going to make you feel guilty about it and make sure I deep sigh every time it's brought up." Basically, it means "I'm going to make this as tough as possible for you, but you do what you want."

My wife is actually a very supportive type.  She's tolerated a lot of shit for my running and doesn't use it against me.  That's part of the reason I voluntarily back-burner it most of the time now.

I took it as more of a "100 miles is batshit crazy.  It's beyond stupidness that I can fathom.  I'm afraid you are going to break yourself and leave me trying to manage these 3 little kids."

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Pitch it as a chance to take the family to Colorado for some clean air, pretty views and vacation time before/after the race and you are solid.

That would work if I wanted to wait until I was 38-40, ie when the kids were older and easier to manage.  I think I would need to wait until 2016 at least, if I wanted to pull that one.  I'll have to think about it.  Maybe a week driving around Utah then leave her with her cousin in Salt Lake for a few days while I went off to be stupid or something. 

I would have to skip my annual elk hunt the year I did this, but that is an acceptable trade-off.

I was looking at altitude tents last night.  DAMN, those are expensive.  $8000 to buy, really??  I would probably need to rent one for a couple months (what, $2K).

Prince of Fatness

Candice, "Yes, but I am going to mentally torture you." is still a "Yes".

Not at it at all. 

C-R

That would work if I wanted to wait until I was 38-40, ie when the kids were older and easier to manage.  I think I would need to wait until 2016 at least, if I wanted to pull that one.  I'll have to think about it.  Maybe a week driving around Utah then leave her with her cousin in Salt Lake for a few days while I went off to be stupid or something. 

I would have to skip my annual elk hunt the year I did this, but that is an acceptable trade-off.

I was looking at altitude tents last night.  DAMN, those are expensive.  $8000 to buy, really??  I would probably need to rent one for a couple months (what, $2K).

Utah is good.

Altitude tent eh. Hell we can build a substitute. You already have camping gear so all we need is some sheet metal, aluminium box tubing, a couple of good vacuum pumps and a welder and a couple of cases of beer. I figure one weekend and about $500 bucks.  

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

Very eerily familiar. It's either in the female DNA or it's passed along from mother to daughter. 

Oh and you shouldn't share the playbook. We husbands/boyfriends might catch on. Wink

Feeling the growl again

Altitude tent eh. Hell we can build a substitute. You already have camping gear so all we need is some sheet metal, aluminium box tubing, a couple of good vacuum pumps and a welder and a couple of cases of beer. I figure one weekend and about $500 bucks.  

Somehow, beer+altitude tent construction sounds like a good way to develop a Darwin Awards entry.

C-R

Somehow, beer+altitude tent construction sounds like a good way to develop a Darwin Awards entry.

or an episode of Spike tv 1000 Ways to Die.

Say, don't you have a neighbor that would be a good test subject? Just sayin.

She didn't say "Fine", which basically means I am thoroughly pissed you even asked and of course you can't you idiot.  That's something.  However I agree with Candice, she'll be planning her preventative tactics right now.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Say, don't you have a neighbor that would be a good test subject? Just sayin.

Their dogs, anyways.

Of course, then they might be able to run faster and I would have to lead them more... Wink

Just a dude.

I think my wife would be more unhappy with me sleeping in an altitude tent than letting me go to Colorado for a few days. 

I wonder if there would be a way to adapt one of those sleep apnia masks to remove oxygen... /shrug...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...