3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Weight Loss Challenge (Read 1622 times)

Prince of Fatness

Modifed to include everyone's goals at the top.  Want to lose some weight by Labor Day?  Post your starting weight and your goal, then we'll update once a week.  You can pick the day that you want to weigh in, whatever works for you.  The goal can be whatever you want, even a little sometimes requires some extra motivation.

MTA # 2 - Final weigh in can be anywhere between August 30 and September 4.  Post a weight once a week and I will find a place for it.

NameStarting WeightGoal WeightW1W2W3W4W5W6
    MrFinn 178.5 170 179.5 176.5 178.5 177.5 176.5 175.5
    Spaniel 152.4 147 153 150.2 150.6 148.8 147.8 150.4
    WhoDatRunner 173 165 172.4 169.2 168.8 168.2 167.8 166.4
    C-R 183 172 182 177   178 175 175
    DoppleBock 205 185 200 207 199 195 191  
    Burnt Toast 208 195 206 205.5 204.4 203.6 202.8 203.2
    Beef 191 182   188.8 187.5      
    MilkTruck 184 178           181
    MandyS 125 120            
    Mgerwn 190 180 187.4          
    Kencamet 149 145 148.1 148 148.4 149.8  147.4 147.8
    TeaOlive 128 120 125 126 125 126 123.6 125
    CliveF 171 164 168.5 169 167 168 166.5 167.5
    Trent 170 160 167.5 166.2 165.4 164 164.4 164.4
    Slo_Hand   163 168 166 165  163.8 165.5 163.4
    CEIE   174 184 181.3 180.2 178.3 177 175.3
    obsessor 188.8 182     188.2  185.8 181.8 174.8

Original post below....

Over the past few weeks I have seen pictures like this...

While it is evident that I am having such a good time choking down that beer, it is even more evident that I need to drop some weight.

I weighed myself this morning and was at 178.5.  Not bad since the last time I weighed myself I was 174.5 on March 2, just shortly after I cut back on my running.  To be honest, I think that I was a bit heavier a month or so ago and have already started losing some pounds.

Before I got hurt a couple of years ago I was running well and weighed in the mid to upper 160's.  I don't know if I will ever get back in the shape that I was in, seems I do not have much control over that.  But I do have control over my weight (or at least I should) and if I am going to have any chance of running well again I have to lose at least 10 pounds.

So today I got on the scale for the first time in months, and will do so every Friday morning.  I started this thread just to provide myself some accountability.  If anyone else wants to lose some weight feel free to join in.

So anyway, the goal is to be 170 by Labor Day (August 31 weigh in). which means that I need to lose 8.5 pounds in 6 weeks.  If I can do that it would be a good springboard for picking up my running in the fall and see what's what..

That is all.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Nice goal.

You should update the title to call this the August challenge.

I'm in.  

Goal 147.  I'll have to weigh in tomorrow, too late today.  I'd guess I'm 149-152.  147 would be pretty much ideal for me but I have not been able to get there for quite awhile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

You should update the title to call this the August challenge.

I'm in. 

I like your suggestion.  Done.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm in. Starting weight 173. Goal weight 165.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

I'm in. 

Stepped on the scale this morning for the first time in a long time - 183. WTF!

Goal by labor day - 172.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

Last night margaritta, beer and lots of mexican food - This morning 205#

Goal 185#

Not likely - But I am still going with it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Some aggressive goals.  Excellent.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Just what I needed.

Starting weight 208

Goal weight 195

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

C-R

Serious question on this topic. I have one of those scales that includes body fat %. I know its an estimate at best and not very accurate but I use it for trending. Since we started the push up challenge, I've gone from 25% to between 21 and 22% (depending on days) while the weight has gone up. Most of the weight gain is poor diet and beer. How much weight can be attributed to increasing muscle mass and how much to just being fat? Any ideas?

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

Serious question on this topic. I have one of those scales that includes body fat %. I know its an estimate at best and not very accurate but I use it for trending. Since we started the push up challenge, I've gone from 25% to between 21 and 22% (depending on days) while the weight has gone up. Most of the weight gain is poor diet and beer. How much weight can be attributed to increasing muscle mass and how much to just being fat? Any ideas?

Nothing but a WAG (wild assed guess).

3% of your body weight would be like 6lbs, that sounds like a lot of upper body muscle to me.  I too have gained some definition since we started that.  Size?  I don't know.  I tend to think the difference would be fairly minimal until your change in strength gets pretty dramatic.  When I used to lift, years ago, I'd say I had added 50+ lbs to my bench before I could really say my arms had gotten bigger.

C-R

I figured that too. Trouble is the waistline isn't expanding at a rate expected for these extra pounds.

I just need to man up and go dry for a few weeks to see what happens. Getting old sucks. Your metabolism gets all screwed up.

Ostrich runner

191 goal 184

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Hawt and sexy

Can I just giggle at the fat people?

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Can I just giggle at the fat people?

That's going to make it harder to get permission to touch their pants.

an amazing likeness

In.

Start @ 183.

Goal 178.

(..alternative plan..gain 7 and only enter events with a Clydesdale div...)

(...by the way...you guys need to study WG's photo posing skills and note her one-leg-forward-slightly-bent for best appearance...)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.