3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Weight Loss Challenge (Read 1622 times)

DoppleBock

Switch it up - Big Breakfast - same lunch and only fluids for dinner (Not that the DW would like that)

I knew I liked you.

I hear you on the evening issues.  For breakfast I had a banana and black coffee.  For lunch it will be a PB&J sandwich.  This is pretty much representative of most days.  So my only excuse is bad behavior when I get home.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Week 3 weigh in: 204.4

Reading about all this beer drinking going on in here this spring got me thinking about my alcohol use. I decided that I deserved to have a few after a good workout. I followed that thinking up to nearly 225.

I tend to side with Finn, I eat poorly when I drink alcohol so until I get to my estimated racing weight (175) its little to no beer for me, although I did have a Summit Amber Ale after my 2.5 total hours of swim, bike, run yesterday.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DoppleBock

My issue is similar + Beer is like lays potatoe chips - I cannot have just 1 or 2 ... I usually end up with 6-8 ... So best for me to avoid.

But I agree - After every long workout - I crave beer / booze ... Specially if it was hot.  The most intense desire comes after a 4-5 hour trail run - Almost impossible to resist. 

I tend to side with Finn, I eat poorly when I drink alcohol so until I get to my estimated racing weight (175) its little to no beer for me, although I did have a Summit Amber Ale after my 2.5 total hours of swim, bike, run yesterday.

Slo

During RAGBRAI our quest was to maintain a good PAL. (Perfect Alcohol Limit)

This worked out to be about 3 silo's per stop. 4 to 6 stops, plus the bloody mary's in the morning and what ever we drank once we hit the overnight town. 7 days straight...8 including the ride out. I'm proof positive that you can ride your bike 500+ miles in the most intense heat Iowa has ever seen and still gain weight. Over 4lbs for the week.  But I ain't complaining. Best 4lb gain of my life!

DoppleBock

For a short spurt this is OK ~ If you had 2-3 months of this we would be rolling you along the road without a bike 

During RAGBRAI our quest was to maintain a good PAL. (Perfect Alcohol Limit)

This worked out to be about 3 silo's per stop. 4 to 6 stops, plus the bloody mary's in the morning and what ever we drank once we hit the overnight town. 7 days straight...8 including the ride out. I'm proof positive that you can ride your bike 500+ miles in the most intense heat Iowa has ever seen and still gain weight. Over 4lbs for the week.  But I ain't complaining. Best 4lb gain of my life!

Feeling the growl again

Switch it up - Big Breakfast - same lunch and only fluids for dinner (Not that the DW would like that)

I would prefer that but it doesn't work for me for a number of reasons -- time in AM, family dynamics, etc.

What I really need to do is drink less.  I am down but need to be down more.  Making a weekend-only rule would be a good start.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I take pleasure out of multiple different things in life

Running

Boating

Downhill Skiing

Golfing

(Many other sports I no longr do often)

and

DRINKING

Boating and Downhill skiing are our family acitivities

But I can say the one that takes the least amount of planning and effort is DRINKING by far.  I am a pretty serious person, but when drinking I get goofy and playful ... Basically I am fun dad (Not is a bad way) instead of serious parenting dad.  It's probably at the root of some serious issue that I am too tense and serious unless I drink a few - But it is what it is. 

I would prefer that but it doesn't work for me for a number of reasons -- time in AM, family dynamics, etc.

What I really need to do is drink less.  I am down but need to be down more.  Making a weekend-only rule would be a good start.

kcam

My weigh-in day is Tuesday mornings so this is not a weigh-in but it still kinda blew me away.  

I ran a track 5000 last night and it was fricking hot - knew I wouldn't run well but it was still a good workout.  Ran about 3.6miles for warmup jog and then another 3 after the race to 'cool down' (yeah, whatever).   I got home and ate dinner, drank some water and weighed myself ..... 144.6lbs.  Now, I know this is ALL water weight but I have never in my adult life, even after a long run, weighed less than about 147lbs.  Came back downstairs and ate a little more, drank a little more while watching the Olys.  This morning's weight:  145.0lbs.  Suuuuhhweet!  By the time Tuesday rolls around I'm sure I'll be back to ~148 though as it's really tough to survive the weekend without a binge or two but I'm gonna do my best to moderate.  Carry on.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Week #3 = 125.   Not much but at least it is going in the right direction this week.

I've just switched from beer to Jameson's for the time being.  The only thing that stops me from eating chips all

night is that I don't keep them in the house.  Now, the home made strawberry short cake is another matter Roll eyes

steph  

I drink whisky, not really much beer (or any beer to be honest).  I seem to make up for drink calories with food ones though.

Sadly the after work and before bedtime eating is a bad habit I am in to as well.  I am always hungry, even when not running much, and I am also grumpy when hungry and can get the shakes/sweats/weirdness if I go too long without food.  Luckily I can run first thing in the morning without food, the grumpiness/shakes/sweats gets worse once I start eating for the day (whether or not it's carb-rich food or not) . 

Strawberry shortcake?  Can you post some?  My current weakness is dark chocolate and ginger cookies, or just ginger cookies if there aren't any of the posh ones about.   

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

DoppleBock

Interesting - I am always Munchy / Hungry - Whatever - I always have a desire or urge to eat.  I do not get the shakes or anything, just crabby as heck when I am trying not to eat.  Now eating would be over and above the 3,000 calories a day I want to eat to fuel training. 

One of my biggest issues is my DW is a complete inside the house homebody and so are my girls - If I were out doing stuff all the time I would not even think about eating.

Anytime I am not moving I am fighting the good fight ...

Ostrich runner

Week 2 weigh in for me - I started a little behind. 

186.2 I think I am probably mildly dehydrated, so I'm calling it 187.5 for now.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

DB, the shakes aren't always an issue for me when hungry (thankfully), but they do seem to have a pattern of occurring when I'm restricting what I eat. The grumpiness is a constant though, whenever I'm hungry I am grouchy...and that's whether I'm going through a phase of eating lots or one of slight restriction. I really do feel more or less constantly like I could eat, and to top that off I don't have a 'full' switch. I totally agree that being out doing stuff is a good way to stop me seeking out food.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Sorry, Hop.   It's been consumed.

I have the constant need to be eating also.  That's why I just don't keep some things in the house.

It's just so much easier for me.   I can get grumpy if not fed.  No shakes though.  And alcohol does seem to

make me want to eat even more.   So sad.

steph  

DoppleBock

Week #3 199

Sorry for being late on reporting - Week #3 was 199 - a beaten down 199, so I do not expect much more this week - Although I am having a really good week both eating and training - Week #2 with no alcohol ... Coincidence?  Sadly, I think not.