3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

walking/rowing/lifting (Read 39 times)

I've got 6 consecutive weeks of over 50 mile weeks (walking and rowing) 2 months of physical therapy. 3 weeks of weight training (3-4 times a week) and core work. I can't wait to see how all this  effects my running WHEN I finally get back into it. Anyway anyone here have long break from running? How did you get back into it? This will be my first substantial break from running and I have no clue about getting back into it. I ask now because I'm hoping on March 13th I get the go ahead to get back to running and if so I'll need some time to get some what of a plan in place or at least have some what of an idea how to go about it. I'm sure there are tons of posts on the main forum about stuff but I rarely go out there and I'd prefer to ask here.

Thanks!

Pam

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

kcam

JesusHChrist!  Running-schmunning ... just make sure you keep yer abs looking like that.  I'm sure spaniel and the other runners here will have some excellent ideas for you.  I'm going home to run row now.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I've got 6 consecutive weeks of over 50 mile weeks (walking and rowing) 2 months of physical therapy. 3 weeks of weight training (3-4 times a week) and core work. I can't wait to see how all this  effects my running WHEN I finally get back into it. Anyway anyone here have long break from running? How did you get back into it? 

Thanks!

Pam

Wow woman, you sure are something else!  Wish that I had half your drive, persistence and talent.

I don't have an answer for you but I sure can't see you having any problems getting

back in to it at all.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

JesusHChrist!  Running-schmunning ... just make sure you keep yer abs looking like that.  I'm sure spaniel and the other runners here will have some excellent ideas for you.  I'm going home to run row now.

Heh.  Well, I'm not sure I'm qualified to give Pam ideas, she's far more hardcore than me.

The first thing I would suggest...FORGET EVERYTHING YOU KNEW.  Your workouts, training paces, race times, etc....fuggedaboutit.  It will only be albatrosses around your neck holding you back.  Start where you are NOW and move forward.  Given how aggressive you have been about cross-training, I would imagine that after a week of "oh-bloody-hell" you will be pleasantly surprised with your fitness.  But you need to focus on improving upon where you are now...and you already know how to train...but comparing to where you were is not productive.

Several years ago I basically took ~6-9 month completely off.  It was also at a time when I could have run 50-60mpw and still just kept making negative progess as I was coming off years of higher mileage.  The biggest problem I had was thinking of the past and not focusing on the future.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Wow woman, you sure are something else!  Wish that I had half your drive, persistence and talent.

I don't have an answer for you but I sure can't see you having any problems getting

back in to it at all.

This. I also don't have much advice.  I had a longish break (3 months or so) when I knackered my cankle, but I didn't have anywhere near the fitness base you had pre-surgery nor the fitness you have built since then.  For me it was a case of a bit of walk-running, upping the amount of running, and then pace and distance as my foot/cankle shut the hell up and as fitness built again.  I used it as an opportunity to play with low HR training as that gave me a reason to be slower etc.

I'll have fingers crossed for you on March 13th.

Also, will be booking flights to Philadelphia in next few days.  Not sure I can be away longer than the conference, but that will still leave the afternoon of Sun 21st April free (and potentially the morning and maybe the night before).  Would love to try and sort something out.  If I am out for longer I imagine it would be overnighting somewhere on the Sunday and flying back on the Mon.  Sorry for the hijack on that.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Damn Rocken! That's pretty badass.

When I was inured for 2 months I lost a lot more than 2 months worth of progress, so like Spaniel said you might not be able to just pick up where you left off. Then again, you're a lot more badass than I am, so it may not be as big a deal.

Crossing my fingers for you to be able to start running again next month.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I think my sadistic  physical therapist is partially to blame for my abs. She's introduced me too the LOTS of plank and bridge exercises some with an exercise ball some without.  I swear by the end of PT my core will be the strongest part of my body lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

back in to it at all.

Thank you Steph!  Guess we shall see

Heh.  Well, I'm not sure I'm qualified to give Pam ideas, she's far more hardcore than me.

The first thing I would suggest...FORGET EVERYTHING YOU KNEW.  Your workouts, training paces, race times, etc....fuggedaboutit.  It will only be albatrosses around your neck holding you back.  Start where you are NOW and move forward.  Given how aggressive you have been about cross-training, I would imagine that after a week of "oh-bloody-hell" you will be pleasantly surprised with your fitness.  But you need to focus on improving upon where you are now...and you already know how to train...but comparing to where you were is not productive.

Several years ago I basically took ~6-9 month completely off.  It was also at a time when I could have run 50-60mpw and still just kept making negative progess as I was coming off years of higher mileage.  The biggest problem I had was thinking of the past and not focusing on the future.

um someone who's running despite hip issue's is pretty damn hardcore to me! I'm sure you are more than qualified to give me ideas!

You are right I will have to focus on the now and not where I was. My big problem that I'll have is trying to do too much too soon. I'm not good at starting off slow if ya haven't noticed. I guess if I can help my son start running I should be able to handle starting over myself.

This. I also don't have much advice.  I had a longish break (3 months or so) when I knackered my cankle, but I didn't have anywhere near the fitness base you had pre-surgery nor the fitness you have built since then.  For me it was a case of a bit of walk-running, upping the amount of running, and then pace and distance as my foot/cankle shut the hell up and as fitness built again.  I used it as an opportunity to play with low HR training as that gave me a reason to be slower etc.

I'll have fingers crossed for you on March 13th.

Also, will be booking flights to Philadelphia in next few days.  Not sure I can be away longer than the conference, but that will still leave the afternoon of Sun 21st April free (and potentially the morning and maybe the night before).  Would love to try and sort something out.  If I am out for longer I imagine it would be overnighting somewhere on the Sunday and flying back on the Mon.  Sorry for the hijack on that.

Oh the HRM that is a good idea for me  Sarah! Maybe do some MAF in the beginning. Oh that brings up that I don't think my cardio will be a problem, my "weak" body that worries me. Ughhhhhhh

Thanks!

I will make sure I'm free for whenever!! Not like you're in my area all that much and it's not likely I'll be in yours anytime soon!  Feel free to hijack away!

Damn Rocken! That's pretty badass.

When I was inured for 2 months I lost a lot more than 2 months worth of progress, so like Spaniel said you might not be able to just pick up where you left off. Then again, you're a lot more badass than I am, so it may not be as big a deal.

Crossing my fingers for you to be able to start running again next month.

Determined is what I am. Maybe a little sick in the head? Ok who am I kidding ALOT sick in the head. I'm hoping all the walking I am doing will help with my getting back to running. Not sure how having a "good" engine is going to work with having a weak "body" per say. Never been in that position before.

Thanks whodat!

Village people

I like spaniel's advice. Focus on moving forward. I have taken time off, I called it maternity leave, and I was always surprised at how quickly I improved. I did not have the fitness you had before your surgery or the crosstraining in between. I did have extra weight and I still didn't feel like I was starting from scratch.

Good luck and I think I need to do more planks Smile

Determined is what I am. Maybe a little sick in the head? Ok who am I kidding ALOT sick in the head. I'm hoping all the walking I am doing will help with my getting back to running. Not sure how having a "good" engine is going to work with having a weak "body" per say. Never been in that position before.

Thanks whodat!

Having in similar situations (time off due to injury, life, whatever it is) over the past decade I have had several "restarts".  You already have the right mindset and determination to get back where you want to be.  IMO, that is the most important piece.  For me, I don't necessarily forget where I was and what the times I was hitting before.  That is in part my motivation to get back where I want to be.  The challenge, however, is keeping the reins in check and being smart about it.  It will take time to build balanced strength but you are already well on your way to that with all the cross-training you've been doing.

All that walking you've been doing will certainly help you get back to running.  I'm a believer that physical activity promotes blood flow throughout the body and helps the body recover quicker.  Here's to hoping that you get the green light SOON!

Feeling the growl again

Determined is what I am. Maybe a little sick in the head? Ok who am I kidding ALOT sick in the head.

Nice.  That's why you fit in here so well.

You just made the cut to my sig line with that one.  Rarified air.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

I think the accepted method is to run for 2 minutes, then walk for a minute, run 2 minutes, walk a minute,  rinse and repeat.  And wear a heart rate monitor and make sure it doesn't go over 140 beats.   Do that for a week,  then extend your running times to 4 minutes....  Big grin

Runners run