3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sub 63 minute HM (Read 37 times)

I find this amazing. Meb's HM run and monthly stats

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Impressive data sets.  A few observations that struck me...

-  592 mi month

-  Stride rate of 198.

-  Distance covered per stride is 5.58 ft per stride.

I need to work on range of motion of the hips and increase my stride rate.

Just by stretching? Or doing something else?

I need to work on range of motion of the hips

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

kcam

Those 18 milers look like short recovery jogs in the scheme of Meb's training.  Stride rate / length of 198 / 5.58 feet. To relate to my recent 40 min 10K:

Running Dynamics

Avg Run Cadence: 180 spm
          Max Run Cadence: 204 spm
          Avg Stride Length: 1.40 m

Interestingly, or not, that 204 occurred at the very start of the race when we were crammed together trying to run fast without stepping on the heels of the runners ahead.  I did get close to 200 (197) at the end "sprinting" around the track to the finish.

Extra credit:  If runner K runs a 10K in 180SPM @ Stride Length of 1.40m and runner M runs a 10K at 198SPM with a stride length of 5.58 feet by how much time will runner M defeat runner K?  (Never mind that runner M would increase either his SL or SPM at the 10K.)

F'ing 10 minutes.

Those 18 milers look like short recovery jogs in the scheme of Meb's training.  Stride rate / length of 198 / 5.58 feet. To relate to my recent 40 min 10K:

Running Dynamics

Avg Run Cadence: 180 spm
            Max Run Cadence: 204 spm
            Avg Stride Length: 1.40 m

Interestingly, or not, that 204 occurred at the very start of the race when we were crammed together trying to run fast without stepping on the heels of the runners ahead.  I did get close to 200 (197) at the end "sprinting" around the track to the finish.

Extra credit:  If runner K runs a 10K in 180SPM @ Stride Length of 1.40m and runner M runs a 10K at 198SPM with a stride length of 5.58 feet by how much time will runner M defeat runner K?  (Never mind that runner M would increase either his SL or SPM at the 10K.)

F'ing 10 minutes.

That is interesting.  I've timed stride rate at various points on the TM and I'm usually in the 160s.

The 5.58 ft per stride is 1.7m.  At 0.3m per stride difference, that's 5,300 fewer steps over the course of a marathon.  That equates to a lot less time on the ground and more time flying.

I think it was in the old Bay to Breaker's replay Ken linked that had a quick stride analysis.  Elite athletes typically have around 70° stride angle (hip opening) versus a 40-something° for a weekend warrior/road plodder.

Just by stretching? Or doing something else?

Mostly stretching.  The basic hip flexor and hip extender stretches work best.  I don't stretch much but when I do, it's usually related to hip mobility.  My hamstrings are tight as hell and I generally have very poor all around flexibility.

The stride distance is what really stood out to me. He's just a couple inches short of striding right over me if I were flat on the pavement.

FIFY

I don't stretch much but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis

Stay thirsty my friends

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Meb is 5.5 / 1.7m

The 5.58 ft per stride is 1.7m. 

My garmin tell me my average stride is .9 m.  Guess I need some work to get it up to 1.7

Feeling the growl again

You know what stuck out to me?  A 169 mile week.

DAMN.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

163... 169... 50!! With a day off!      Slacker.

Ostrich runner

What's really depressing about it is that he could get that down to about 47 minutes if he only would learn to run like an ostrich.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum