3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

50-miler racing (Read 833 times)

Feeling the growl again

So I'm looking at a 50-miler beef recommended.  Des Plaines ultra north of Chicago on 10/25.  I am not in shape to waste my effort trying to run a fast marathon given yesterday's 10K so this would be a good way to feel like I accomplished something this fall.  While my top end speed sucks, once I slow down a bit I go along at about the same speed/effort as ever.

The course is about as fast as they come...it's a wide, flat biking/running path with a fine and packed crushed limestone/dirt surface.  For an ultra it's probably faster than a road course as it will reduce pounding.

I'm interested in what the experienced folks would recommend I try for in terms of pace/finish time?  Typical easy run pace has stayed in the 6:35-7:00 range.

I'm going through the ultra nutrition threads....they have a few stocked aid stations and a bag drop for the 25-mile turnaround.  I'm thinking to stock for 400-500cal/hr and go from there.

Due to my upcoming vacation HM this weekend and a HM I'm likely to run on 10/2, it is unlikely I will get to do any specific training like a 4-hr run as I'd be 2 weeks out before I got the chance.  I'm assuming that's too close to be useful for anything but practicing fueling.

Thoughts?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

You could show up on the 25th, but the 22nd would probably work out better.

Here are last years results.

I wouldn't say I'm experienced, so here are my thoughts, but not necessarily advice.

You get a "special" inscription for going under 9 hours. If you're going to run 50 miles you want something special, so that should be the upper limit as far as goals go. The winner last year was way ahead of everyone else, but top 5 looks wide open. You could aim for 7:30 and if top 5 is within reach in the last couple miles, you'd be in reach at least last year. 50 is a long damn way, especially if you're really racing it on your first attempt. I realized at Howl that I watched several people get 5 or 6 miles ahead of me only to see them crash soon too. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

You could show up on the 25th, but the 22nd would probably work out better.

Eh.  Details.....

The guy who won looks like an ultra animal.

I've got thoughts on pacing but I thought I'd let people with real experience take a shot before I polluted the pool.  Beating someone running a 5:35 was not among them however.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

I'm interested in what the experienced folks would recommend I try for in terms of pace/finish time?  Typical easy run pace has stayed in the 6:35-7:00 range.

I'm going through the ultra nutrition threads....they have a few stocked aid stations and a bag drop for the 25-mile turnaround.  I'm thinking to stock for 400-500cal/hr and go from there.

Due to my upcoming vacation HM this weekend and a HM I'm likely to run on 10/2, it is unlikely I will get to do any specific training like a 4-hr run as I'd be 2 weeks out before I got the chance.  I'm assuming that's too close to be useful for anything but practicing fueling.

Thoughts?

I can run 50 milers at my slower Easy long run pace - So if I am 7:45-8:15 Easy long run pace - I can hit 8-8:15.  I would suggest being conservative and stick in the 7-7:15 range for 30 miles.  I you still feel good then 6:45-7:00 for next 10 miles and if you still feel good bring it home the last.  For me the difficulty starts the last 10-15 miles - It becomes a lot of work to run "Easy Pace"

How are you carrying H20? 

How do you plan to get calories?

I would take s-caps even if cold - if ideal weather 50-55 - I would take 1 per hour or 1 per 90 minutes.

Don't screw with the 4 hour run 2 weeks prior - A nice 20 miler at your goal pace is the furthest I would attempt.

**  7 pace = 5 hours and 50 minutes ... that would be a heck of a debut - It may lead to a crash and burn - Maybe target 6 hours  = 7:12 pace.  Either way the key is to remain smooth and easy for at least 35 miles.  I do not really look at a watch - I just run smooth and easy.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ostrich runner

Eh.  Details.....

I've got thoughts on pacing but I thought I'd let people with real experience take a shot before I polluted the pool.  Beating someone running a 5:35 was not among them however.

That 2010 Badwater medal is enough to scare...anyone.

"the antithesis of Scott Jurek"

Feeling the growl again

How are you carrying H20? 

How do you plan to get calories?

I would take s-caps even if cold - if ideal weather 50-55 - I would take 1 per hour or 1 per 90 minutes.

Don't screw with the 4 hour run 2 weeks prior - A nice 20 miler at your goal pace is the furthest I would attempt.

**  7 pace = 5 hours and 50 minutes ... that would be a heck of a debut - It may lead to a crash and burn - Maybe target 6 hours  = 7:12 pace.  Either way the key is to remain smooth and easy for at least 35 miles.  I do not really look at a watch - I just run smooth and easy.

I'm debating between a couple handheld bottle or a Camelback (I have one that would work well).  I don't really like the weight in my hands and I know it affects my pace a bit....I don't like the constant sloshing in the Camelback but it doesn't affect my pace as much from what little I've ran with it.

I have plenty of S-Caps left.

Calories I'm looking at a mixture of Gus, bananas, Endurox, and real food (PB&J sandwichX2?) at the 25-mile turnaround.  All I have experience with is Gus.  Even at the much higher intensity level of a marathon I've never had a problem with them.  As long as I am not running hard and am not running after a LARGE meal, I very rarely have any problems running with food in my stomach.

Honestly my first thought was to target 6 hours.  I don't want to waste the effort being overly conservative on an "easy" course, but I don't want to be crawling 20 miles after crashing either.  As I thought about it in my head, I was also thinking 35 mileas at around 7min/mile should be a given and it's after that where I would get in trouble.  Have never run over 26.2 in my life but doing 23-mile training runs with people well slower than me (7:30-8:00 pace) has been very easy and I had a lot left after that, even without fueling.

Eh.  Details.....

Out of my league to comment and give advice on a 50-miler.  Hell, I can't even figure out the damn marathon distance.

Zach is an ultra animal.  He's good friends with another RA-er that I know in the area here.  As Beef posted, he won Badwater in 2010.  He was there again this year but didn't have as good this year.  I can't imagine the training he went through.  Lot's of sauna training and 3500 miles in 6 months.

DoppleBock

PS - Don't get chicked

Feeling the growl again

PS - Don't get chicked

Zach establishes the lower end of my goal range, and the above, the upper end....

Hawt and sexy

GUMMY BEARS ! And Smarties. Yeah, load up at the dollar store. I keep Muscle Milk at drops for protein, but if you define protein loosely enough, Slin Jims work. I love my S!caps for salt.

Damn, that 50 looks tempting.

I have other goals right now.

Totally ignoring that page because I have other goals right now.

Although, if I look at this another way, this could fit into that goal scheme....

DAMN YOU ANDYPANTS! DAMN YOU ALL TO H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS!

Ok, time for me to lay off the caffeine for a bit.

!..

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

GUMMY BEARS ! And Smarties. Yeah, load up at the dollar store. I keep Muscle Milk at drops for protein, but if you define protein loosely enough, Slin Jims work. I love my S!caps for salt.

Damn, that 50 looks tempting.

Totally ignoring that page because I have other goals right now.

Although, if I look at this another way, this could fit into that goal scheme....

DAMN YOU ANDYPANTS! DAMN YOU ALL TO H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS!

Ok, time for me to lay off the caffeine for a bit.

!..

It appears the 50-mile is on your list of goals.  I am not sure if the race is certified but I know the course is eligible.

Ostrich runner

Reading another article about the Gingerich dude. I like the way he rolls

The day before the race, after their pre-Badwater tradition of breakfast at a Las Vegas Denny's, they visit Wal-Mart to load up on snacks to help keep Gingerich going: bananas, canned beef ravioli, applesauce, fruit snacks, granola bars, beef jerky, Pringles, Skittles, diet soda and pimento-stuffed manzanilla olives.

That night, as Gingerich stands in his Death Valley hotel room making duct-tape handles for water bottles, he is feeling anxious. He has run 6,500 miles since his last Badwater, and logged hundreds of hours running in place in the sauna. But will it be enough?

DoppleBock

I saw the duck tape handles on water bottles - Nothing too fancy for Zach - Actually I would really like to understand the "Why" the benefit to a tradition handheld?  Or is it just how he rolls?

Feeling the growl again

It looks like this idea is gaining traction at home...it appears I may be about to do something stupid.

On On

I'm debating between a couple handheld bottle or a Camelback (I have one that would work well).  I don't really like the weight in my hands and I know it affects my pace a bit....I don't like the constant sloshing in the Camelback but it doesn't affect my pace as much from what little I've ran with it.

Have you tried turning it upside down and sucking out all the air?  I do this after filling the bladder and it removes any extra space and eliminates that sloshing effect.