3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

SUPT Class 12-03 Graduation (Read 280 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

On December 16, 2011 I had the honor of attending the 14th Flying Training Wing's Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training Class 12-03 Graduation.

My son, 2d Lt Scott Ball and 21 other graduates received their silver wings and aircraft assignments. Scott will initially be assigned to the MC-12W Liberty for training at Beale Air Force Base in California and then deployed for 6 months. Upon his return he will report to McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey where he will fly the C-17 Globemaster III.

Scott has wanted to be an Air Force Pilot since he was 6 and has worked very hard to earn admission to the Air Force Academy, a Pilot assignment, and now his silver wings. His mother and I are very proud of his accomplishments.

Here are a couple of pictures from his graduation.

This is Scott with the T-6A Texan II. This is a two-seat single-engine turbo-prop that is used for primary aircraft training.

This is Scott explaining the T-1A Jayhawk to other family members. This is a modified version of the Beechjet 400A and is used to train future tanker and airlift pilots.

We also had the opportunity to fly the T-1A simulator. It's a lot harder than flying in a video game. Even with Scott handling the throttle it was quite a challenge to land. I'll need a few more lessons before I attempt to land solo.

It was a great day and Scott is very excited about his assignments.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Awesome and cograts to your son for this great accomplishment.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

That is so awesome.  Congrats to him and the proud parents.

I grew up about 17 miles south of one of the early warning radar sites in MI (it was the 80s, still cold war).  The B-52s were stationed north of us and the fighters south, and we lived under their main training grounds.  Got to watch lots of B-52s practicing defense against the fighters, they were much more nimble than you would think.  We found a lot of radar chaff in the summers in the fields.

The other main activity was the cargo pilots practicing flying under the radar.  They often flew right down the road we lived on, literally at treetop level -- or below.  It was not rare to see them have to pull up to clear a silo or a barn.  The fighter pilots had nothing on those cargo plane pilots.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Excellent!  

steph  

This is awesome Ra!  Congratulations to your son and the family.  You guys must be very proud to see him reach this goal that he has wanted for so long.

Congratulations Richard. What a great accomplishment for your son!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thanks everyone. Scott will be visiting for Christmas and then it's off to SERE training for him. He doesn't seem to be too excited about the SERE training for some reason. Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

It's not so bad as long as you are willing to eat anything and I mean anything with protein.

We did a3 day with 1 MRE. About 30 miles land nav in relatively flat terrain (CA). It was fun.

Is he going to Fairchild or hanging with the Naval guys in Pensacola?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

He'll be heading to Fairchild. I think he's still trying to get all his dates sorted out. He was the only one in his class with two aircraft assignments and it seems to have confused things.

kcam

Congratulations to the young man!  

Prince of Fatness

His mother and I are very proud of his accomplishments.

I'll bet.  That's good stuff.  Congrats to your son.

Not at it at all.